This year's "Silly Season" would rank among the tops with stars like Tony Stewart & Ryan Newman making moves. It would also rank among the worst as best kept secrets. Almost every move was public information weeks before official announcements. Looking at all the moves, before we crank up The Chase, here's the list:

1. Tony Stewart leaves JGR to co-own Stewart/Haas Racing, will drive the #14 in '09
2. Ryan Newman leaves Penske to join Stewart at SHR, will drive the #39 in '09
3. Casey Mears leaves HMS to join RCR in the #07 Jack Daniels Chevy in '09
4. Clint Bowyer moves from the #07 to the RCR #33 with General Mills sponsorship
5. Joey Logano takes over the #20 at JGR for the departed Tony Stewart
6.. Reed Sorenson leaves Ganassi to join GEM (Number & sponsor TBA) in '09

Other questions still remain:

Who will drive the #12 Penske Dodge? David Stremme?

Who will drive the #41 Target Dodge? Could Chip Ganassi make a run at Danica Patrick? Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon and Dan Wheldon will be the likely suspects.

Who will drive the #96 HOF car? Talks of a merger and/or acquisition have been in the news. Brad Coleman would be a possibility, but can the team afford to risk it all on a rookie?

Where does Scott Riggs & State Water Heaters land? RGM?

Where does Paul Menard & Menard's end up? Yates still feel they have a great shot at adding Menard, but DEI will likely make a stronger push to keep him.

Who drives the #45 at Petty? McCumbee, McDowell, Wimmer or Mayfield

Who will drive the #21? Ambrose will take over the #47, but still no word on who will drive the famous #21.

What about the #49 BAM and #4 MMM teams? Both claim they're close to a return and both or one could be back at Daytona in '09.

Still alot to be answered.....

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

45 is yaeley
OK, lets take it from the top. Stremme is almost a lock for the 12 car. Being he's already been a "test driver" for Penske, he might as well be a second string QB. Plus he drives nws cars for...whats that guys name? Right Rusty Wallace, ya think his opinoins may carry a lil weight at Penske? He's in.

Ganassi, my take is Franchitti's in the 41. Why else would he still be lurkin around after his team closed it's doors? He's obviously a better caliber driver than a full time nws guy. Plus Target likes that international flare.

HOF, well Coleman in the car makes it a bit more of a bargin. With the info I read earlier about their lack of factory support, they may be headed anywhere. Wild guess, maybe DEI will make a move for them to replace the possibly departing Paul Menard, & John's sponsor money. RGM? A second car, driver, sponsor, & a shop to expand into other series like CTS, & NWS? I knda like that one.

Paul Menard, looks as though he's heading to RYR, maybe with John buying in to play. However, my money says Robby hasn't allowed John to let the thought of a move to RGM escape him.

Riggs, well he's almost as much of a WildCard as I am. A pkg deal, with no strings (manufacture, team contract, exisisting personell) attatched, has got to be appitizing to more than a few out there. However, if nobody like RGM, or Petty bites, look to see BAM, or MMM pick that deal up before Daytona.

The 45? let's see you got one car over at Petty with no sponsor,& another with (apparentely) no driver. Hmm, Wells Fargo comes over to the 43, & Riggs/State Water Heaters to the 45?
I agree it's Yates or DEI for Paul Menard.

Riggs & State Water Heaters...agree again, who knows! IMO, if Yates is trying to give the hard sell to Menards, and the fact Yates went after State Water Heaters as a sponsor for Gilliland, RGM might look better to Riggs (not sure howmuch influence he has on State Waters though).

The #45 car has alot of options: Mayfield (proven Chase contender), Chad McCumbee (young, could be put in a Petty Nationwide ride?) Wimmer (won a Nationwide championship at RCR), Michael McDowell (has a full Cup season under his belt now).

The #12...agree, it's David's to loose

The #96...just not sure Coleman is the answer. Putting Logano and Mayfield will show if it's driver or the team. (Well, atleast Logano will get the truth)

The #21...? are they still racing? Little Debbie's is moving to Ambrose...will Air Force and Motorcraft stay? Yates?

#41 Ganassi...agree Dario looks like the easy choice and it appears Reed knew that.

The #49 and #4...I doubt they show up in Daytona...they need to run Trucks or Nationwide.
When did Wimmer win a Nationwide championship?
He was part of an owners championship with Jeff Burton for RCR.
Oh, Ok, owner's championship.....I forgot.
Yep...owners Championship...he drove the car more than Burton did.

RSS

Newest Members

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service