http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/The-Daily...

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 8:49 am EDT

The Daily Dose: Still trying to figure out this Stewart Haas thing
By Bob Margolis
While I was away on vacation last week, I happened to miss the press conference announcing Ryan Newman as the second driver for the new Stewart Haas Racing team.

Did anyone (other than Newman fans) get excited about this? And should we even care?

Not me. I'm still scratching my head over this whole Stewart Haas Racing deal.

There's an old saying that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The NASCAR road is strewn with the debris of race teams owned and operated by active drivers. Is Stewart that egotistical to believe that he can be the first to break the streak?

Giving up the seat and then owning a team appears to be the more successful path to take.

Stewart has mentioned (several times) that he has talked with Robby Gordon about being a team owner. That's like planning an ocean cruise and talking to the captain of the Titanic about which route to take.

For those of us who know, Gordon's operation is barely staying afloat. After rejecting an extremely generous bid to sell his organization to team owner George Gillett, Gordon has conveniently put himself between a rock and a hard place. He hasn't paid himself in nearly a year and his team is essentially un-sponsored and without a manufacturer agreement for 2009
Not the kind of reference I'd be using, Tony..

Who will be running Stewart Haas Racing? Joe Custer? I don't think so. Nice guy, but given his track record, he's certainly not the kind of big league player needed for this operation. I think Stewart knows that and I expect we'll have an announcement within six months of new leadership.

And finally back to Newman. Is there a more overrated driver in NASCAR today? Two wins in the past 131 outings doesn't scream "hire me." It's been five years since Newman had his "glory" season. That's a long time for a sport that thrives on "what have you done for me lately." Maybe it's the Hoosier connection or something, but Stewart certainly could have done better.

Don't get me wrong. I like Stewart. I like him a lot. And I wish him nothing but the best. But, there's something about this whole Stewart Haas Racing deal that just doesn't feel right.

That's how I see it.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a pile of shit!!!!!!
Sometimes reality bites.
no I dont think he realizes that robby does pay himself. THE OFFROAD SPONSORSHIPS DUHHHH!!!!! yahoo writers are all jackasses. everyone from every category not just sports.
Aren't RGM and RG Off-Road two separate entities. So if RG is not drawing an income from RGM, then what was reported above is 100% accurate.
Well I think Tony at least has the sense to hire people to do the jobs they are qualified for and let them perform those jobs day in and day out. For example, the crew chief should adjust the car for the driver instead of the driver shouting out commands from inside the car. I think Tony will handle that a bit better than Robby.
Newman was awesome when he and Borland had the traction control figured out.Once Nascar got strict with the ignition systems( they didn't get placed on the dash for the hell of it) , Ryan started to become just a slightly better than average driver.
BINGO!!!!! Nascar made that rule change because they knew the traction control was being used and who was using it, but they lacked the balls to bust a 'star' player!!! How many times have we seen this? And, hey, remember all Ryan's phenomenal fuel mileage that disappeared the following year when Nascar made a template for the gas can? You're being generous, TOG, I wouldn't even give Newman the 'slightly better than'....he's just average.
Simple scenario was probably Robby was going to sell the team, so the alliance was made, since it was going to become Gillettes 4th team. Possible that RG might not have been part of the future driver lineup which promted Robby to change his mind and he voided the deal ( kind of like what Yates did to Robby when he tried to buy that team ) .
you are right
Exactly, Stewart won't have issues finding sponsorship money or people eager to go for his team. At least for the first two years....
It's a Hendrick team and Haas has very deep pockets... This team will kick major butt.
Exactly, Hendrick now has his "Super" team.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service