Hoping this is just a knee jerk reaction and not and actual negotiation process. Hearing RGM is in discussions with Red Bull Racing & MWR about the possibility of switching to Toyota, but will wait until he tests Dodge's new engine package and sits down with GEM.

RGM has been fighting poor fuel mileage and lack of horsepower all year with the engines they receive from GEM. Dodge has their new 2009 engine coming soon and Gordon might wait and see if this cures his problems. The GEM engines have been very reliable with only one engine related problem in Cup due to a wiring problem and one overheating issue this past weekend in the Nationwide series.

As for the possibility of switching to Toyota:

Red Bull has shown alot of progress in only it's 2nd year in Cup racing. Brian Vickers is currently 17th in the standings, while teammate AJ Allmendinger has climbed back into the Top 35 the hard way.

MWR has faired alot better it's 2nd year in Cup by keeping the #55 and #44 inside the Top 35, the #00 recently fell outside the Top 35 and driver Michael McDowell has been replaced by driver Mike Skinner at Michigan to evalute the team.

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point. Toyota's done their homework and they might be closed to maxed out HP wise. Remember, if you have a stronger motor program than the rest, NA$CAR will find a way to "level the playing field". The best chance is to hope the new Dodge engine is stout before NA$CAR senses a competetive advantage with it. Maybe then we can sneak in some good finishes. Beyond the engine package, the bigger point is handling. Makes a lot of HP problems mute. Hey let's face it, the way we are running, RGM is not going to be high any manufacturer's food chain.
Yes Mike I see your point. But look at the $$$$$ situation between Toyota and Dodge. Toyota has much more to spend, someone has to pay for those 24 test days that RGM will have next year. I know Ford paid for RGMs testing in 07 but is Dodge this year because the only testing theyve done is Road Atlanta and Milwaukee along with the sanctioned tests. I cant see them asking sponsors to pay for them because it has to be hard for RGM to sell anyone on anything right now. I believe dollar wise RGM is best suited to go to Toyota. Besides all of the motors are TRD motors so we wont have to worry about A GEM like team giving him junk.
If Robby were to switch it would be good because Toyota would pony up for the additional funds needed to test another 24 days. If that did take place RG should spend 5 strait days at Bristol, 5 strait days at Charlotte 5 days at California, 5 days at Richmond and 4 days at Pocono.

He should log min 1000 laps at each.

I mean if he was really serious about racing this whole NASCAR thing.
Don't forget Martinsville.
...and John Menard is worth how much?? Can you say ready-made sponsor? Makes the driver look that much more attractive w/cash in hand.
Menard had a net worth of $7.3 billion in 2007, according to the Forbes 400.
That came from his wiki entry. It also states in there, "Menard is also a partner in Robby Gordon Motorsports with NASCAR owner/driver Robby Gordon, and is the father of NASCAR driver Paul Menard."
Comments anyone?
But Jack Rousch won't be able to steal the sponsor and fire the driver this time. HA.
Could there be room??? If the 17 car got moved to Yates and added the 7 car... That would make a championship 4 car team with a champion driver on board. If Edwards wins the championship I could see it going that way.
Kinda wish Menard would bring his son and $$$ to RGM... would instantly make RGM a better team. Wonder why John is avoiding that option?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service