Looks like there is a 50/50 chance of the 2011 Dakar Rally staying in South America, or going back to Africa. The confirmation will come later this month.  Check out this blog from Annie Seel about the  same subject.

Views: 39

Replies to This Discussion

As long as there is none of that canceling the rally I'm game with whatever. To me there seems to be pros and cons to both decisions.

Though going back to Africa would be better for the Hummer as it is now no?
I want a return to Chile/Argentina. This might be a topic that deserves one of those "polls"
Ditto!!!
I thought I'd like going back to Africa, but the fan base in Chile/Argentina is awesome. So, I guess my vote now would be Chile/Argentina.
My heart says Dakar (after all, it IS the Dakar Rally) but I have to agree South America was quite impressive and the fan support was pretty terrific.
The Dakar has become a proprietary eponym; a generic trademark, that extends beyond continent boundaries. The Dakar is to rally what Bayer is to aspirin, Duncan is to yo-yo, or Fed Ex is to overnight delivery. The Argentina - Chile Dakar has been an enormous success - from the challenging diversity of the terrain to the incredible support from the people of both countries.

I can understand from a historic point that the rally should be in Africa but until the ASO can secure a route from Paris, France to Dakar, Senegal (and be assured the safety of all involved) anything else is a half-assed compromise for the sake appeasing the few hard core purists.
Is there any consideration being given to running in both Africa and South America?
Chile/Argentina This years race was great and the fans down there are enthusiastic racing fans. Keep it in South America!
Yes, Yes, Yes !!!!!!!
2011 Dakar will be in Argentina again !!!!
Robby, we are waiting you !!!!!
I invite all the argentine fans to make a group and organize an "asado" or meeting for all the Robby´s team.
ARGENTINA AND CHILE ARE WAITING FOR YOUR VISIT
Volkswagen "blackmailing" ASO?

A snippet:
Now the German "Volkswagen"-Company is setting the ASO "under pressure". "We like to have a stable reglement and the Dakar back again in South America, we are not interested to go back to Africa and are not interested in the new FIA Regulation" Volkswagen-Manager Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg told in Germany. This could mean simply: "We give you the most money and if you don´t rule this sport under our terms we are out!"

Also mentioned VW is rumored to be going WRC if the rally is moved back to Africa.

Read the article HERE
Officially back in South America for 2011

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service