Top 35 will lose two teams in 2011 & FRM likely to downsize

RPM announced today they currently plan to only run a 2 car team in 2011, the #9 of Marcos Ambrose and #43 of AJ Allmendinger.

Nascar has allowed organizations to broker deals with other teams (RCR moved the #07 points to the 78 team).

If a deal isn't worked out, the teams below would just move up into the Top 35. With the 38, 26, 7, 37, 34 and 71 fighting to stay inside the Top 35, all could be solid inside at the end of the season. Only 2 teams outside the Top 35 are realistically within reach. If RPM's 2 teams dissolve and no deals are worked out, then they would inside the Top 35.

Added 9/10/2010

Front Row Motorsports not sure on 3 teams for 2011: When asked about the future of the team's third car, the #38 squad that currently sits outside the top 35 in owner points, Front Row Motorsports Jerry Freeze didn't mince words. "It's a big question mark right now. Unless we have some phenomenal success in finding sponsorship, I don't see any way we can carry three cars next year. I think the likely scenario is that FRM will run two cars next year. We really like David [Gilliland] and Travis [Kvapil], we're planning on those guys coming back and we're talking with them about it, so that's the direction I think we'll be going in. Then again, maybe we start next year running that third car if it's in the top 35. If it's not, it may just go away." That said, the team is also very much aware of just how valuable team number three is. They know just how close they are to locking a third entry into the Sprint Cup field, and what that means from both a competitive and fiscal standpoint. "Now we get that car back in the top 35, we have a lot of options for next year," Freeze explains. "That's why we're working so hard ... I would bet the house that if we had a third car in the top 35 at the end of this year that we could find a driver with a sponsor to run the Daytona 500. That's a great-paying race, and could be a great value to FRM."(Frontstretch)

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since NASCAR is keen to trying new ways to spike viewer and fan interest they could reduce the Owner Points to the Top 30 and limit the starting grid to 36 cars. This would tighten up the field even further, increase the payout slightly and perhaps help reduce the number of start & park teams.
I would expect the RPM teams to be "sold" to RCR and RBR to field their expanded race teams. And yes, I expect RBR to expand if Vickers actually does return.

If they aren't sold, it's good news for RGM since it really would secure the car for the first five races.

As things stand now I think there is a huge question if the #7 will be able to finish in the top 35.
he's been cleared to race in 2011, so he should return to RBR.
There are still caveats. If he is still taking Plavix in February, he won't be racing. If he still taking it in January, RBR will have to make plans that don't involve him.

I don't dislike Vickers. I'm not rooting against him or anything. But nothing I've read says it is a lock for him to return, but it is expected that he will right now.....
true, never thought that.
I agree. This appears to be the most likely scenario with the #98 points going with Menard and the #19 points going to RBR.
they will be negotiating, swapping and buying points well into Feb.
Can Childress move the 07/78 points back inside his camp for Menard?
Furiture Row already stated that they are keeping the owner points going into next year.
I have to believe Childress will get the points for Menard one way or another. His sponsor will not allow anything less IMO.

A little added incentive to win it all this year. Having the most recent past champion in the house is a very valuable thing.
Kahne won't need points...that team is well inside the Top 35. Menard & Furniture Row might have to wheel & deal over that situation. Richard Childress is listed as the owner of the 78 and it's his 07 points they used for the start of 2010...have to think RCR will won't those points returned for Menard. The only way someone can get the 98 or 19 points will be in a Ford (from looking at the past deals). The 26 and 38 are already Fords and have relationships with Yates so...I would think thatt's who the points would go to if needed. If they take over the points RGM would end up about 33rd (worse case)...moving the 09 and 36 into the Top 35 (which the 78 team could make a deal for the 09 points which would make sense being a Chevy team). Tommy Baldwin might be the lotto winner if that worked out!

Lets not forget two addition are in question, the 71 and 77 teams. The 71 team is still very well in reach to fall outside the Top 35. Labonte only has a few races left, the rest will be Andy Lally probably. The 77 team still has not sponsorship and recent reprts have Hornish saying he will soon look at all Nascar opportunities if sponsorship isn't found soon. Penske might have to keep the team due to their contract with Dodge. But the 71 could fall outside soon.
That could be a good plan B

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service