Discuss all the action from the 2013 LA Coliseum SST race right here. Practice & qualifying on Friday, April 26th, with a LIVE VIDEO STREAM, and the race is on Saturday, April 27th.

SST FRIDAY EVENT SCHEDULE

7:45AM: Pits Open
10:00AM: Drivers/Team Meeting SST Class ONLY
10:15AM: Team Members begin work
11:00AM: Drivers/Team Meeting Buggy Class ONLY
12:00PM – 1:00PM: Monster Truck Practice
1:00PM – 1:20PM: SST Practice Group #1
1:25PM – 1:50PM: SST Practice Group #2
2:00PM – 2:20PM: Buggy Practice Group #1
2:25PM – 2:40PM: Buggy Practice Group #2
2:50PM – 3:10PM: SST Practice for Qualifying (3 Laps)
4:00PM – 4:20PM: Buggy Practice Group #1
4:25PM – 4:40PM: Buggy Practice Group #2 (2nd Practice times set the field)
5:00PM – 5:30PM: SUPER Trophy Kart Practice
9:00PM: Qualifying for Starting Positions (best of 3 laps) for SST
10:30PM: Pits Close

SST SATURDAY EVENT SCHEDULE

6:50PM: Kickoff/Opening Ceremonies
7:00PM: Racing Starts
7:00PM – 7:20PM: BIGFOOT® Heat Races
7:20PM – 7:35PM: Buggy Heat Race #1
7:35PM – 7:50PM: Buggy Heat Race #2
7:50PM – 8:10PM: SST Heat Race #1
8:10PM – 8:30PM: SST Heat Race #2
8:30PM – 8:40PM: Trophy Kart Main Event
8:40PM – 8:50PM: SUPER Buggy LCQ
8:50PM – 9:05PM: SST LCQ
9:05PM – 9:10PM: BIGFOOT® LCQ
9:10PM – 9:20PM: BIGFOOT® Finals
9:20PM – 9:40PM: SUPER Buggy Main Event
9:45PM: SST Driver Intros/SST Main Event

FRIDAY LIVE VIDEO COVERAGE

Views: 7401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TY

My guess is that Robby and team would like to minimize the earth moving. Notice how much more earth was used to create the X-Games track in the linked video. Also notice the dust.

X-Games at LA Coliseum

I never went to a Mickey Thompson race. I wonder if dust has ever been a problem at a stadium venue. I have been to the Anaheim Super Cross, and the Rose Bowl Super Cross, years ago. To me, the dust was not a problem at these races.

I think Robby and team should consider building more of the jumps, or all of the jumps, as metal structures. I think they should consider a large cross-over jump, built as a metal structure. One advantage would be the ability to fine tune the track. For example, if the racers start clearing the landing by too much, it's feasible to move the landing back.

The sides of these structures should be built with slope, not as vertical walls. This way when a driver goes off course, he might be able to drive down the steep sides, as opposed to driving off a cliff.

I would also figure out a way to put a fascia on the sides of the metal ramps. Perhaps plastic rocks or something. Something more finished looking than an open beam and column under-structure.

Come on, Robby and team are no strangers to metal fabrication. There's no doubt in my mind that with a little creativity and engineering, Team SST and the right subcontractor, could build the coolest ramps ever! I'm thinking steel structures. Hell for stout. Bridge and ship type of structures. A-36 structural steel. Cheap! Might cost a little more to move around. Keep the sections large. Large sections would minimizes the assembly time.

I've heard that dirt is "cheap," but I still think it cost a ton to build these dirt mound ramps in a stadium. The metal ramps could be used again and again. Of course this whole idea would need to be studied for cost feasibility.

One more. It might even be possible to put six inches of dirt on my ramps. This way they would tie right into the track.

I agree with the fascia on the ramps, but for a different reason. I was watching and noticed the end of the jump started to bend. So I was watching to see if bent more, then it hit me....advertising...nice place to put a banner...

My wife reminded me that usually only unhappy or critical people take time to write reviews on the web. So I decided to chip in on how much fun we all had Saturday night.

We had an absolute BLAST at the LA Coliseum race!!

6 of us went. 2 that never go to any races, 2 of us road racers and 2 off road regulars..

We screamed like kids all night. Even at the Monster trucks ( I know that surprised all of us).

There is NO substitute for being there in person.

It started off with being allowed down onto the track to see the trucks and drivers. They were so willing to answer all my questions. Did you know a Monster truck wheel combo weighs over 1,000 pounds before they shave them down? 700# each ready to race!

The showmanship was great, Drivers parked all around the track for introductions, National Anthem, Music and Video on the Big screen. Gotta have Fire and Fireworks!

What a great show for only the second stadium race. We greatly appreciated the immense effort that was put into this event. Thank You for a great night. We have faith that the show will continue to grow.

We watched as they tweaked on the sand pit all night. The asphalt getting covered in sand made for some excitement. We all agreed that it was so cool to see all the different types of surface involved in every lap. Drivers should adapt to the track, not the track to the drivers.

Highlights for us were:
The Monster trucks jumping the gap. And the Cow painted Monster truck running off the side of the ramp after the jump and not rolling over.

Adrian Cenni up on the wall, then tearing off the whole corner of his suspension going over the gap jump!

PJ's left front wheel way up off the ground in the corners. He looked like he was in a sprint car!

Rob and Robby driving the last 10 laps of the main event. You could SEE the difference between them and all the other drivers.

We are thinking of heading to San Diego on the 18th............

That was a Great review to read, kudo's to taking time to write that. +1 to having to be there, it makes a world of difference

+2 great review very positive .

mj I can't wait to read your posts after the Atlanta race, your enthusiasm from just watching online is awesome!

Lol thanks bud . I can't wait either . I know when I post on here I'm kinda bias , but its just cause I LOVE OFFROAD RACING . Desert , short course , stadiums , mud racing , pulling , monster trucks , tuff trucks , rock crawling , etc . I love it all !!!!

Do it. Get down to San Diego Stadium. Should be a larger crowd every race. Look for us, we'll have our Speed gear on. LOL. Like most everyone !! Can't wait till Friday to see the new layout.

For those not happy about the track layout, this was due to LAC requirements. The track layout out at SD should provide some better door-to-door racing. Overall, this was the 2nd track they designed and with the narrowness they had to work with, I think it turned out great.

+1 @Bricoop

The local SD News did a fly-over of QualComm Stadium for an Olympic 2024 story last night and they showed the partially completed track for round 1. It looked like a Rally X (X-Games) style track...two side-by-side tracks. Didn't see any asphalt...yet. Should be very interesting to see this one!

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service