Toyota seems to have been a good decision so far for RGM. Gas mileage hasn't been an issue and horsepower seems to be more equal to most teams.

Kirk has done a great job and keeping Robby calm & focused. His discussions with Robby have been very solid with giving Robby the adjustments he wants, but keeping him from going overboard.

So far no "Back in Black" with sponsors more willing to climb aboard.

The only thing I see RGM needs work on is the pit crew. It seems weekly they've stumbled. Had the crew not messed the stop up, the 4 cars running with Robby at the time all finished in the Top 15. Robby bounced back and caught cautions at the right time most of the day, so finishing 21st is decent.

Robby is 30th in points and only -46 behind 25th and -66 behind 20th. Martinsville hasn't been a good track for Robby, hopefully he get a solid finish and move up in points.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. I mean, he stayed on the lead lap most of today, and for Robby at a short track we can't overlook that as a step in the forward direction.

Come road course time it will be fun to see the new Toyota powerplant as well as the Robby/Kirk working relationship really play out--I've got a good feeling
I am really happy about this Bristol Finish. He just plain ran well all day. Nothing fantastic just a good, solid run. He got nothing from the short tracks last year so a good improvment already. I can't see why the team shouldn't be able to be as competetive at Martinsville and bag another 100 points at least.
They seem to be holding on to the mid pack and not losing touch in points so, all good really. Looks like they might have hit onto somthing.

Robby can drive well at Martinsville. I was at the fall ' 03 race and he ran top 10 most of that race (started near the back too) untill Todd Bodine wrecked and the # 31 got caught up in it. It can be done !!
Amen, Zippy, I'm hearing you on this!
Anyone with other info correct me if I am wrong, but its my understanding that Frankie does not really set up cars. He borrows setups from friends and team mates in the garage area. This was why RG punted him relatively quickly.

Anyone else have info on the Kerr/RGM seperation? My point in saying this is dont think he would have been able to do the same for RGM, that setup was probably taken from a MWR team car or from some other source in the Toyota camps.
To be honest, if I was a driver, I wouldn't care about where the setup came from, I would be glad that my crew chief was able to put a good setup under me.

For example at Martinsville last year Frankie had the #7 hauling ass, if I was RG I would be happy that I was so competitive rather than concerned whether or not Frankie borrowed help. If others give him the info you cannot fault him for asking.
I completely agree, but here is the issue.

Once you have tapped all your resources, or guys get tired of giving setups away, or the people you go to no longer have good setups, then what? If you dont have your own brain to think with, you are severly limiting your potential.

I dont fault him for asking, I am just trying to point out he is not a crew chief in terms of having the mind to come up with his own stuff. There is a place for people like that, but it is not at a single car team where there is an almost non-existant engineering force backing the team up.

I am merely speculating as the reason RG fired Frankie based on what my friends have said in the garage area. To me though, he did not lose much. Greg Irwin was the one that he never should have let go.
Frankie has the #47... a rookie team for Cup racing... several positions and 50-some points ahead of Robby. "At the end of the day" the only thing that matters is the outcome.

Slugger Labbe has often said on SIRIUS that he shares info regularly with others in the garage... Maybe the real problem is that Kirk is not part of "The Good Ole Boys" club. If he's not, he should ask Frankie to sponsor him for membership. Labbe and Gilliland somehow got the #71 into the top 35 even though they missed a race.

As for why Frankie left (Maybe Jeremy (FatBack) can add some insight, if he's allowed) my opinion is Frankie thought he was the CC not knowing that Robby also held that title.

There have been several that have "graduated" from the Robby School of Crew Chiefing who have gone on to successful tenures at other teams.
As I recall, RGMs cars with Frankie setting them up were anything but competitive.

Although the setup for Darlington was great. I believe that car was dialed in before Walter stepped foot into RGM. So maybe that was a Kerr developed car...

I guess only those who were at RGM would know for sure. I do know though that the cars this season have at least run competitively regardless of track type. Thats a step in the right direction.

As far as Gilliland, remember TRG has a long background in motorsports. They might be new to Nascar, but they did run the trucks last year and won a race in their first season. Slugger is indeed a key pickup, but so were all the Chevy COTs they bought from RCR...
A couple of points. Yes, Robby could've stayed out on that caution. Jeff Burton stayed out and got the position and was able to improve his car enought to stay in the top 10. A couple of reasons Robby didn't finish where Jr. did. Robby was running 1 or 2 positions behind Dale when on a pitstop, the crew left a lug nut off and Robby had to come back into the pits. That cost him about 10 positions. Secondly, Dale's car was just better than Robby's He passed him 2 or 3 times for position on the race track. It's easy to say in hindsight that Robby should've stayed out on that caution but there were a lot of guys who did not and it could have just as easily backfired on the team. I think Robby and crew did an excellent job and finished about where they should have.
and remember we left at least 60 points on the table by messing up Daytona. Take our usual top 15 probable top 10 we sneak out and we are right there in 20th right now.

Just need to keep running solidly at tracks we did not at last year and get the great finishes at tracks we can.
I agree
Seems to me the difference between a good team and a great team is the ability to adjust the car to the track as the race goes on. Seems even the guys that qualify and run well at the start of the race have to adjust the car as the race goes on. Seems the adjusting at Bristol was pretty good or at least didnt send the car the other way! Baby steps but a step none the less.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service