Views: 7516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was a great article. Here is the link the the whole read which includes David Ragan's talks with Penske. Sounds like FRM is not all that interested either. GM Jay Freeze says his driver line up is set and they have been moving forward.
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/7335802/david-ragan...

CHARLOTTE -- David Ragan has met with Penske Racing officials about replacing Kurt Busch.

Busch's future could hinge on whether Ragan is hired.

James Finch, the owner of Phoenix Racing, said he had a deal with Ragan to drive the No. 51 Chevrolet next season subject "to him getting a better deal.'' That possibility happened on Monday when Busch was released by Penske Racing, leaving the No. 22 with sponsor Shell Pennzoil open.

Finch told ESPN.com on Friday that Ragan contacted him on Thursday to say he met with Roger Penske in Detroit and planned to meet next week with Shell Pennzoil officials.

Ragan confirmed he met with Penske and other officials and planned to "follow up next week.''

Ragan asked for his release from Roush Fenway Racing on Monday to pursue the Penske opening. Ragan's No. 6 Cup ride at RFR was shut down for 2012 due to lack of sponsorship.

Meanwhile, Finch said Busch contacted him about driving for his Spartanburg, S.C. -based organization.

"I told him I'd meet with him and see what's going on,'' Finch said. "I haven't decided who I am going to put in my car next year. He wasn't necessarily at the top of the list.''

Finch said Busch's behavior that led to what was described as a "mutual'' split with Penske Racing wouldn't discourage him from hiring the 2004 Cup champion. He also said he wouldn't tolerate Busch's sometimes volatile behavior.

"Kurt, his talent is pretty good,'' Finch said. "He's one of the best there is, but I'm not going to listen to that s--- and pay him money.''

Finch jokingly said he would make Jimmy Spencer, who as a driver had a long feud with Busch in the early 2000s, Busch's crew chief.

"(Kurt) needs to simmer down a while,'' Finch said. "He's never done anything to me personally. He just needs to look in the mirror and see what the problem is.''

Busch admitted last week in Las Vegas during champion's week that he is working with a sports psychologist to deal with anger issues that reached a peak in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

After his car suffered catastrophic transmission failure early in the race, Busch lashed out at ESPN's Dr. Jerry Punch with a profanity-laced tirade that went viral on YouTube. It was the third such public display of anger against the media this season.

Busch also has been volatile over his in-car radio with his team and owner.

"I'm not going to take that,'' Finch said.

Finch split last season between four drivers, with Landon Cassill competing in 29 of the 36 races. Cassill's best finish was 12th at Michigan as he compiled an average finish of 28.8.

Finch's car that finished 30th in owner's points and is supplied engines by Hendrick Motorsports is considered by many the best available ride outside the top teams. Finch said that a driver such as Busch would elevate the organization to a potential chase contender.

But Finch said he has options outside of Busch and Ragan. He has talked with former race winners David Reutimann and Brian Vickers as well.

"Kurt said he wants to go to Daytona and get squared away again,'' Finch said. "I'm just going to wait around. He might be in a hurry, but I'm not.''

Finch speculated that Front Row Motorsports also might be interested in Busch, but general manager Jerry Freeze said he's had no contact and is moving forward with plans to field two cars with Travis Kvapil and David Gilliland.

"We'd be open to talk for sure,'' Freeze said. "But it would be hard. We're pretty happy with the guys that drove for us last year. Everything we've been working on sponsorship-wise has been centered around those guys.''

This is exactly what some of us have been saying all week was going to happen to Busch. He will be lucky to end up with a team that is part-time, underfunded, or S&P. Adults with money are just not going to listen to that bullshit. He'll be lucky to get anything.

You think Finch doesn't see Busch's talent? It isn't worth it. If he were bringing a sponsor with him, sure, but that's the problem.

I'm just happy that Penskee had the stones to show people no matter how good you think you are, you cant be a Dick most of the time and expect the world to move out of the way for you.

And many (including me) thought Schrub would be FIRED first this season.Joe Gibb's doesn't have the sack,IMO good on Roger

I hate the busch brothers more than anybody that I know, and I started hating them before it was cool to hate them. But from the team owner's point of view, it would be dumb to fire either of them.

Kyle is an ass but why get rid of a driver that gets you multiple wins per year and makes the chase?

If I were a team owner I wouldn't let either of them go without a fight, despite their childish antics.

As always Mike, great comment. I've no respect for Joe Gibbs either; he just hangs on with the young B brother. No class. Good job, Captain.

@MIKE and the REST...........yes the boys have an anger issue. The differecnce with Boy 1 & Boy 2 is Boy 2 wasen't caught dissing the DR. of Jamie. I say over the top "yes" but between the "2" Kyle has the real talent...we shall see if what happened to big bro. wakes him up.

Roger & the Coach.....the Coach has the talent to help kyle funel is "passion" and complete Kyles ability. Roger, Rick, Jack haven't had to deal with "special" athletes as has the Coach. You try and get all the talent out of a 40 man team with personalitys. If anyone can dial Kyle in the Coach can, can anyone remember Smoke and all his BS.

These guys that have this passion and talent are what mkes any sport interesting. How much fun would it be to watch just Jeff G., JJ, Matt K. Jamie Mac. race every week......boooooooring.

Oh.....Mike by the way don't forget our bet......bud light please.

Really, you want to collect on a bet that won't be decided untill September 2012 or James takes himself out before the season's end or just reminding me?

If your as old as I.........I do it because "I" need to remember :-)

This is the most enjoyable thing to follow all year... Kyle should have been fired as well, almost sounded like he was on his last chance as it was.
David also asked out of his commitments with Ford, sad to see the 6 sitting sidelined after all these years.
Word around the twitter water cooler today, Busch paid a visit to RC at his winery.
The sports psychologist isn't helping, he's been going for 2 months according to what I read.
Jack just sits back and says, yep, glad they are someone else's headache.

I'd love to see RFR go after M&Ms for Matt, surely more deserving of a great sponsor.

Then I could buy M&Ms again. :)

Makes you wonder if Joe Gibbs and Mars are now having second thoughts about keeping Kyle. Kurt was just a d i ck, Kyle was a di ck and showed violent behavior towards another driver that could have resulted in a major injury. If anybody should have been fired, it should have been Kyle. You almost wonder if it makes Mars look bad for keeping Kyle.

It sure would have been a fun christmas dinner if kyle got fired too hahaha

I think Mars is banking on short attention span NASCAR fans to forget by next year. But I do agree that Kyle deserves to be out of a ride more than Kurt.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service