Jan 7th, 2012 Dakar Rally Stage 7 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 7 of the 2012 Dakar Rally. Robby Gordon finished 2nd in stage 5 & Nasser Al Attiyah finished 11th. Cars begin stage 7 at 7:56am/et (9:56am local). Raceday chat will be available throughout the entire 2012 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat now works on the Ipad & Iphone.

STAGE 7 TRACKING

STAGE 7: Copiapo > Copiapo

Connection 154km | Special Stage 419km | Total 573km

COURSE OVERVIEW

The loop will be the biggest challenge of the week, although the beginning of the special stage, which will travel along tracks in the middle of the hills and cacti, might appear easy. But afterwards, the strain of the kilometres covered since Mar del Plata will begin to take their toll, exactly at the time when a great number of dunes will follow one after another. The last string of dunes to be crossed, so near and yet so far from the finish, may well resemble a bivouac which has been transported to the middle of the desert. Thankfully for the latecomers who pitch their tents, the regulations allow vehicles to be presented until 6 pm on the rest day.

STAGE BY STAGE RESULTS

Views: 9559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TOG - During the stage, does Robby know where he is at on time compared to the others? I didn't know if at every check point they let him know or if he is just cruising along not knowing if he is leading or behind and by how much. Obviously if he has had a flat or a problem he would know that he needs to make up time. Just curious.

I agree 4 min is obtainable all I am saying is wwe just can't keep loosing 4-5 min by WP 1 every day.
Friggin Peterhannsel is the one on a mission now.

By the way TOG, Wally had an idea in the truck arrival thread to do a money per mile game that sends a few bucks to the Planet.
If some of us want to do so is there a catch phrase or buzz word we can put on donations to kind of let you keep a tally on them?

At WP 3 we have gotten back 1:30 of the lost 5:21.

17:19 Cars: End of area 1: Peterhansel takes control
The Frenchman confirms his status as the man to beat in the first part of today's special, with a total time of 1 h 13'32' for the first 142 kilometres. Spaniard Nani Roma lies 2'16' back, with Pole Holowczyc 2'39' back in third. Robby Gordon has closed the gap somewhat, losing just 3'42' in this section.

17:09 Cars: Gordon still losing time
Robby Gordon, 4'37' behind the leaders at CP2, has produced a lackluster performance in the first part of the stage. The American's position record shows he stopped for 3 to 5 minutes before going through CP1, somewhere around km 25 of today's special. Was it a flat tyre? Or did he go off the track?

WP 4 Nasser only :32 back.

Leaders at KM140 of 419 are 1) Peterhansel 2) Al-Attiyah +32s 3) De Villiers +1m20s 4) Roma +2m16s 5) Holowczyc 8) GORDON +3m42s #SPEEDTeam

Roll Nasser!

TOG; How much fuel does the Hummer carry?

I think it's about 100 gallons. Robby mentioned full fuel was 700 lbs.

How did Robby get to WP 5 1st?

Timing doing strange things today.
I seen a lot of this type stuff with the bikes in these middle stages.
Isn'y it Non-timed or regulated speeds from wp4 to wp5?

My question too Carl. He got busted for speeding once.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service