Jan 13th, 2015 Dakar Rally Stage 9 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from stage 9 of the 2015 Dakar Rally. After a much needed rest day, the team is ready to score their first stage win of the rally. The special section of stage 9 is 451km long. Robby Gordon start time: 8:51am/et, and he will be the 17th car off the line. After a 43rd place finish in stage 8, Gordon sits 24th in the overall standings, 6h53m behind. Raceday chat will be available throughout the entire 2015 Dakar Rally.

2015 Stage 8 Photos

STAGE 9 TRACKING

STAGE 9: IQUIQUE > CALAMA

Connection 88km | Special Stage 451km | Total 539km

COURSE OVERVIEW

For this farewell session to the Atacama Desert, all the competitors will come together once again for the special stage, with fifty-odd kilometres over sand and dunes. They should revel in these sensations because the next stage will put both drivers and their teams into much less comfortable positions. The routes have suff ered the rages of time and will be equally harsh on them: frequent potholes and bumps combined with the narrowness of the tracks will expose their vehicles’ bodywork to scratches.

The GREEN section of the route is the connection , the RED is the Special Section of the stage.

Views: 19949

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a good day for teamSPEED. Maybe 8th and probably lost most of the time looking for that mysterious way point ..... Nice job!

From Devillers :

“It was not our day. We made a terrible, terrible navigation mistake. Obviously that's cost us the race, so we're sure now that we can only try to consolidate something on the podium, but the race is over for us, so, you know, sometimes it goes like this in the Dakar and there's nothing you can do about it. There was one place where we were really struggling to find the way point, I mean obviously it was an off-road area, the wind was from behind and there was so much fesh-fesh and dust. We just kept turning around. I don't know, we spent I don't know how long there, but it felt like forever to find the way point. It's not impossible for Nasser to make a mistake, but with the lead he has now he can take it really easy. The day was very hard but, for sure, he can take it very easy now. It was our mistake and we have to pay. It's not nice, it's not nice to always fight for second. It's very, very disappointing, but it's happened and there's nothing we can do about it now; it's finished”.

He only lost 22 minutes today, but had only been a minute behind Nasser overall at the start of the day….

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

So is Souza cross fingers, the other "one man band"

He is now. His wing man Spinelli is on the withdrawal list.

Here's something to think about for all the negative nellies out there . Even with the bad stages Robby had he's STILL averaging a 14th place finish . That's against all these factory teams and on his own dime . I'd say Robby is doing pretty damn good
That was a Franklin street comment if there ever was one.
Huh ?

Hmm ...

Did us Canadians somehow tick off the ASO?

Exactly two 1:20 penalties given out in the cars today. One to the last remaining Canadian & the other to the driver who put out the fire in the other Canadian driven car when it crashed the other day.

Hmm ...

More from JC (via RDC)

Short update From JC:
Hello all!!
Just getting ready to hit the hay here in Calama, Chile'.
We posted a decent stage today in 9th place. Very challenging 450k stage hard pack, dunes, silt and more silt, crappy rough two track, crappy more

Just got the rest of the text from JC:

Haha well there is more but let me put it to the point here,
We were chasing down minis and came to a spot where one of them took off to the right and we followed aways but I knew the cap heading was wrong so we turned back and headed up the valley to intersect to course properly and when we looked down the valley those turkeys new exactly what they were doing,
Those sly guys trimmed a whole valley off and put the make on us.
We then came to the most screwy section with many ways to go and cap heading was super hard to follow. There was a way point to pop up on the Nav device but it didn't and I knew we needed to head back and find the correct way and not miss the waypoint and receive a fat penalty. We turned it back found the correct road and the area looked like a scene from Road Warrior with random vehicles going all directions!
RG and I made quick work and put the Gordini back on track. We saw many vehicles not making the way point.
We finished strong but not really sure about the official standing for the stage at this point due to penalties of the group of turkeys .
Calama is no garden spot to say the least, always windy always silty.
Tomorrow we wake up to an early morning to make our final 385k passage over the Andes to the east, dropping back in to Argentina and hitting a 370k special stage followed by a 154 liaison for a measly 908k day.
Good night to my family, friends and fans!!
XOXO
Johnny Campbell

From stage 9, I think, hadn't seen it yet.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service