Due to the bad weather continuing over the Andes Cordillera (rain and snow), the Chilean authorities were forced to close, for the night, the border at Paso de San Francisco, situated at 4700m.

For the 7th time, the Dakar is about to cross over the Andes, and because of very unfavourable conditions, added to the fact that the course has been hit by rain and snow, in order to guarantee the security of the competitors and those following the rally, the organisers have decided to organise a convoy for all vehicles tomorrow. The itinerary has been changed after the border (follow the main road on the right which goes to Diego de Almagro).

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/stage-5/live-feed.html

Views: 2850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

whew! now maybe I can get some real work done before I fall any further behind!

me too

Stage 6 would have been good for the Hummer....oh well. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise....water and snow have not been kind to the Hummer when it is competing with WRC-like cars. That 4WD really shows up in the slop.

The real story is that the Team X-raid has dodged so many bullets with the Hummer's "bad-luck" late in so many stages. The Hummers should be controlling the ralley right now. This can't keep happening so I smell some Hummer stage wins comming. RG is driving a great race and the others know it. NA is still in this as well, if he starts contributing to his own good luck.

Imperial Toyota can now focus all their effort on just one car... that will help them.

Maybe GdV and RG can pressure the Minis into some of their own problems. NA will keep his head, and will challenge by the end.

slop is not good for Hummer alternators

Splain please.

Are they that sensitive?

Carl, the alternator is behind the centerline of the rear drive wheels. It is not protected very well and gets taken out at lease once a Dakar. In 2010 I think Robby went through 3 of them

an dedicated alternator shield should be good i mean its there for easy as access just throw in a carbon fiber shield on it with fins enough to flow air and not so much sand and dirt coming from the BIG TOYOS sanding crap out of the internals

Here is a shot of the 300's alt after the mud. Note the air duct feeding cool air to the ALT. I wonder if it's filtered? probably not.

i can only imagine all the sand directly going into the alt when RG is in the dust of a car in front the ducts come from the scoop in the roof hatch, dont get me wrong im sure it cools and all but it is being exposed to dust all day maybe even water on the rainy days wet days i doubt its filtered it works with the speed of the racer. you see big pulley on the alt that is a revised problem from 2007-08 when they kept poping out belts they went back and machined a big lip on it its all just about testing testing testing which RG can't really do with his busy racing. when i saw the pictures in argentina from the franco kid i wondered if the spare tires would hit the floor at full drop because they hang really low and what do you know nasser manages to find it a weak point during racing. the hummer is still R&D as we go.

Completly Understood gason.
The reason I asked was way off.
When I read your post I thought it sait sTop not sLop.
Guess I need the eglasses more often.
Anyway thanks for the clarification.

Nasser really needs every stage he can get, and stay clean. Is Grider hitch hiking home?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service