Today, Matias Sanchez, member of the RGM, confirmed that the Dakar 2011 is going to be at Argentina and Chile!

Yeah! This year i will follow the Team everywhere i can!

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great to hear ! There were strong reports of it going back to Africa, so this is good news.
Excellent
This is great news! Just seems to me that Dakar as a whole, not only Robby, has a bigger following in South America vs Africa.
I would say that the South American following has more dinero then the African. Follow the money...
Sorry, The ASO has not confirmed it yet, so I would not rely on this so much.
IMO, would only go if i could help out a team and be useful. io cant sit still for very long
On race-dezert.com it was posted that the Dakar will be in Argentina and Chile in 2011. But Won't be official till Tuesday. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
And the latest update of that story has Marcos meeting Robby on Sunday after the drivers meeting:

When he left the meeting, di Palma's first concern was to go back to the RV and prepare "Luisito" for his first Cup race. But on the way out of the tunnel, he met multi-talented Robby Gordon, who despite racing in the top-10 in the past two Dakar Rally races, claims only a poquito of Spanish language skills. They arranged to discuss, by e-mail and through intermediaries, a possible Dakar effort by the Argentine.
The ASO just confirmed the Dakar Rally will be in Argentina and Chile in 2011.
Yeah, imagine if the Kentucky Derby was run at Santa Anita in Ca.
Once upon a time, a lot of racing was about a bunch of guys just trying to go faster than each other, and overcoming the challenge of it. Whether it was on the horse track at the county fairgrounds, on the saltflats or beaches, or in the deserts of Mexico or Africa, it was about building the best car, and going faster than anyone else.

I think that's what SC was referring to as the "soul" of the Dakar.

Once someone starts trying to make money off of it, it changes in ways that are sometimes good, and sometimes not so good. Regardless, the changes take away the character of the race.

That said, it is a lot more accessible to fans, both locally in South America, and via media outlets around the rest of the world, so in a selfish way I agree with your assessment of the advantages. But it's not the same, and many people miss that "soul".

Make sense?
Met some great fans from Argentina & Chile.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service