How many NASCAR drivers could run Dakar and who would they be ? 

Views: 1722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would put my money on Smoke to do it. Jimmie used to run off-road, but he seems to be a huge candy ass now. For some reason I think Montoya could handle it and would try it.

Jimmy J. claims to have fallen asleep and hit a tree in one of the Bajas. As per who could do it.....anybody interested would try, however none are. I'm sure the list who wants to is longer than those that "could". I only know one that could as per does. Just my two cents.

Smoke? No way, Imo. 110 degree heat. Not happening. Not day after day.

and Tony has a reputation for rolling out of bed at noon.That wouldn't work for DAKAR. Imagine how pissy he'd be with the ASO over the natural course?

Bowyer, maybe- he can work on his own stuff
no-body but Robby really

What if there were Burger King's along the stages? Think he would do it then?

If you base it on car control you have the 24, Montoya, Kyle, Keselowski, and Tony. If you then say who can work on their cars it becomes Kyle, Brad, and Tony. I don't think any of them have any serious interest in doing it, although each of them have an independent enough spirit to someday just possibly do it. It is now a different time but Parnelli Jones raced and won at dirt track, Indy, NASCAR, and TransAm. He then went and won the Baja 1000 a couple of times in the late 60's, early 70's. He maybe could have done it if it had started before he really retired from racing.

It takes both physical and mental strength and endurance, PLUS a good degree of "savvy"... I'd add the "Old Man", Mark Martin to the list of those that could do it. Not as well as Robby, and maybe not as well as some of the others that have been listed, but pound for pound and brain cell for brain cell, MM would make my short list.

Lol Jimmy is a candy ass.... Huge money here , if even for a small effort....What do you think Qatar paid 2.5$ ?

I can hear it allready "No Kyle Busch, you cannot get mad because you lost time and then pull into the bivouac (sp)
and just start taking out other cars, thats not how it works here" lol

Kyle could always say he was saying ASO not ASshOle lol

This is a very esoteric, open ended question, that it will generate alot of discussion. As many have stated, it takes a special person and team to take on the Dakar. Robby is very, very, old school. Not many of those left you know. Like others have said, it comes down to not only desire, and talent, but the need to want to do it. And if they are not driving for a moneyed team, that means alot of hardships, as have been stated before. I believe the list of people who could do what RG is doing is very short indeed.

The only names that truly come to mind that could compete in this event if they "really" wanted to - and i say that because of the personal commitment it would take along with the investment of dollars and a dedication for at least 3-5 years; names like Mears, Stewart, Foyt, Pastrana, Block and Schumacher all have the talent but who is at an age or level of commitment to not only the money, time, but also patience of multiple frustrations that come with each stage.
I am not saying that Robby would go dominate a F1 race or a WRC series, but what i am saying is that he could race with any of them on their turf, but few could race with him on his turf. That is a true champion and true idol!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service