Some quotes from the Kingsport Times News from and interview with Jeff Burton.

"The whole single car argument is romantic, but the reality of the situation is that our sport is much better off with 10 or 11 4 car team owners."

"It (multicar teams) provides security for the sponsors and it enables you to really economize and do things less expensively. The sponsors are more protected by being part of a four car or three car organization than they are by being part a single-car organization."

"What used to be a half million-doller buisness is now a $100 million buisness. We can't ask sponsors to spend the money that they're spending and not even know they are in the race."

"It is way better off for the sport if we had 43 teams that knew they were going to be in the race than to have 50 teams trying to make the race- we don't need 50 teams, we need 43."

I thought this might interesting considering RGM is a single car entity. What's everyone's take? Is Jeff Burton full of it or does he have a point?

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

given the context, I think he meant more of #9, as in they come,& go.
...at least, thats what I get out of it.
I am not sure 43 would be the right number of cars. Each manufacturer would demand equal showing. I am not a math genius, but only two numbers divide into 43, 1 and 43. How do we tell one manufacturer, "Jeff has decided and you don't get an eleventh team?"
Why does Jeff Burton's opinion carry so much weight? He hasn't accomplished a whole lot in his career or maybe I just don't remember any of it. He's not a very exciting guy. I guess the old adage with a little change goes that "those that can, do and those that can't, preach.
22 career sprint cup wins,25 or so Nationwide wins. Made the chase the past 3 seasons. Been top dog at RCR since his arrival. A very classy guy and an underrated driver.
highly overrated if you ask me, I dread every time he's running up front near the end because we have to see a split screen with his hysterical wife crying. Burton SUCKS.
Jeff Burton should concentrate on getting his team out of the gutter and quit worrying about the lower budget teams who are kicking his ass most of the time. Hey Jeff, why don't you focus your efforts on stopping Nascar from letting Cup drivers dominate the Busch Series every weekend? Do something worthwhile.......
Agreed. He needs to shut his face. I think Jeff Burton has issues with coming to terms with the fact he is only half the driver his brother is and so to hide his own short comings and to detract from that he spouts his mouth off about things which don't concern him. He wouldn't be able to run a team like RG does because he has no personality and wouldn't get sponsors. He's just part of the NASCAR bore gang. (see Kenseth and Bowyer and other robot types). Hate seeing this guy in the # 31.
Really? He's made the chase the last 3 years, winning 4 races in the past 3 years. He's in the gutter? That my friend is just ridiculous. You can disagree with him all you want, I happen to disagree with him on this, but don't just say crap and act like it's true. There's too much of that going on in this country as it is.

My take on this is this: Multi car teams have proven to be no more stable than smaller teams. Look at Ganassi and DEI. The single car entity is the representation of the American dream. Anyone who wants to take the risk could attempt to qualify for a cup race. That's great. David and Goliath is always the best story so we need some David's like RGM and TRG who can occasionally knock down Goliath. So no, I don't agree with franchising, I think the top 35 rule does a good enough job with that.
One last point, all of what I said is with the hope that RGM won't be a single car team one day. Not sure when or if that will ever happen but a guys can dream can't he?
he's another Mark Martin; whiney, bitchy, and never quite gets it done, though he's always in the "best equipment", why? Because of his shitty attitude. I've known enough "almost were's" in my line of work to recognize one in a race car. He'll never win a championship because he doesn't have the attitude to see it through.
Jeff has always been the kiss ass do good boy from nascar and all he really cares about is pleasing the top rung of the ladder.
2 years ago i took my wife and 4 boys on a cool trip Atlanta for a Busch race then up to NC to visit the race shops then Bristol for the busch race . we had a blast and were dead tired when we got home ( we live in tallagega co al).we started out at RGM at the time the shop was under constuction and wasnt much to see .we got there the day most everyone left for Bristol.because of the construction work we couldn't get to the front door so we all walked into the shop the few guys in there were shocked but nice .One of them walked us up to the office and a lady there showed us aruond gave us some hero cards then she said "what the heck ya'll came in through the shop we'll go back out that way"she led us back through the shop and stopped a few times so we could take some pix.short visit but we enjoyed it She also gave us directions to other shops.Well we went to Gibbs,Roush,HMS,DEI,Ganassi,Wood Bros,Penske,ect.After 2 days of shop tours I was even more proud to be a Robby Gordon fan. the fact that he can run with those huge budget teams every week and out run them sometimes is huge.Robby is what makes NASCAR great and what makes America great .If you can dream it and don't mind busting your butt for it you can do anything you want . Jeff Burton is wrong EVERYONE loves the under dog.And single car teams are under dogs.Go Robby win one this year and shut Burton up!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service