Today started a landslide of rumors in the Cup series when retailer Best Buy announced that they would move to Roush Racing in 2012. Best Buy will sponsor Carl Edwards (sponsor magnet latley) for 2 Cup races and Matt Kenseth for 9 races.

RPM followed a statement wishing Best Buy luck in the future and confirmed they will have 2 teams in 2012.

(earlier statements regarding AJ's future hinged on Best Buy returning, but with Kurt Busch being available it appears that RPM will have Busch in the 43 car)

Penske Tweeted they would wait on their decision to find a driver for the #22...adding "this week AJ was added to our list"

Most reports appear to link Kurt & RPM have a verbal deal for 2012 and working on sponsorship (Best Buy was plan "A") ... Penske likely to have AJ or David Ragan in the #22 with Shell.

The other ride of interest would be the #51 team with Reutimann, AJ, Ragan and Busch as potentials.

Views: 1388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Put a fork in RPM..............he is a legend in his own mind now. He may be the King but the king of what ? Not much of a business man that you can see by what has happened in the last 8 - 10 yrs. How long can you milk the past in a performance based sport.........Oh that brings up another "legend" that is hanging on to his brothers name....can you say Mikey. If it wasent for SR. feeling sorry for him he would be just another annoying anouncer.......right Rusty.......we could talk about the kid that drives the 66 car you know the one........dart with no feathers but we will save that for another day.

Didn't I see the King try to grab AJ by the arm to talk to him and AJ just pulled away. I want to see that picture come to life with Kurt telling the King to F-off. when the car won't even stay on the lead lap.........yes 2012 should be full of drama.

On AJ I hope he gets the 22 ride he has earned it.

I like Kyle Petty.

He is prob just shaking his head now.
10 to 15 years? Richard petty motorsports/enterprises hasnt done good since the 1970s

So is AJ out at RPM? From all of the comments it is a foregone conclusion. However I get the impression that RPM tried to salvage the Best Buy deal by throwing in the possibility of KB as a driver. IMO, it will come down to whoever brings a sponsor. If a sponsor comes and would prefer to have AJ as a driver, then they will stick with AJ. If the sponsor wants KB, then you can expect the see KB in the 43. The sad reality is that this is a sponsor driven sport. He who brings the sponsor dollars gets the ride. If it wasn't for Extenze, KC would be working at Pep Boys... as a cashier.

Not true. Kevin Conway is actually quite the marketing genious. He just can't drive a race car. He would be selling brands to companies either way. If he can sell his happy ass to a sponser for millions, then he deserves to be in a race car. He got the money (I guess Extenze paid Joe last year).

I can't seem to develope opinions on NAZICAR at this point in time let alone about a guy who calls DR. Punch a Mother F@#$er. However since I'm on this side of the grass and at the key pad I'll try my best and verbalize my thoughts. Keep in mind that I bear no ill feelings to the poster of this topic if I seem a bit abrasive....I mean it's not like he is the mailman who drove by my kid while she was waving a letter to Santa......Bigzoom much like Jayski is just another mailman and I Thank You  (in advance) Now where was I, thinking about the friggen mailman and a guy named Punch seems to have confused me a bit......Oh yea. Kurt Busch : What you're jewish ? Love your nails ! He will be complaining about his car by the fifth week no matter where he lands and the bitter taste will have whatever team he is working for grumbling but keeping their collective mouths shut since employment in this field is now the fastest and the fitest and there is a guy right behind you waiting for you to trip. AJ-----------The guy can wheel a car, and never offends anyone (that I know of). The big production about him that was put on by the media at the start of last year was a big part of racing these days that they can keep. Moviestar looks and the new tight jeans heart throb oh dear......eh. The guy can drive no dought. I hope he does get prime equipment to show it. What NAZICAR really needs is one of these guys who wears big gold dollar signs around his neck and a pit crew that dances around after every stop and their own TV show, certainly not some accomplished well spoken driver and some guy who throws hissy fits. Get with the program NAZICAR give us drivers the kids can associate with. I say KB & AJ are deserving of a good seat and at the rate things are going we are going to have that same group up front , that same group getting the press, and that same sagging sport and in end it will matter nada. Holy Cow I did have an opinion after all.....imagine that.

Yup. NASCAR peaked a few years ago but given the glacial pace the brass moves they still haven't received the memo, or they are in denial. NASCAR touts TV exposure as one of their biggest selling points yet that exposure is well staged to benefit but a small handful of teams and drivers. It was funny and sad when Regan Smith got his first win because it was quite apparent that killed the network to focus the camera on a car sponsored by a regional furniture store out of....Denver?  It just killed them. I was waiting for NASCAR to throw out a spike strip.

I think this is a good move for AJ and Penske, besides AJ has a good looking wife........ AJ is a sponsors dream compared to KB

Absofreakinglutely! AJ traded up and it's great for him and for Penske. They managed to get rid of a douche bag and in return got a quality driver who will represent their sponsors in a fitting manner. That's a win/win.  

Didnt his wife leave him?

Yeah for Jimmy Spencer

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service