George Gillett, who bought into Ray Evernham's Dodge-anchor operation last year [now GEM], has made strong overtures to switch to Toyota. But NASCAR officials have apparently nixed any such move, and that could leave the Bill Davis Toyota team in limbo. Davis has talked for more than a year now about looking for a business partner. The Gillett-Evernham operation has been Dodge's chief engineering arm in NASCAR, but Penske may now get that nod, and become the engine supplier to teams like the Pettys. Penske already leases Dodge engines to Robby Gordon. Sources say that Penske, who runs one of the country's largest Toyota dealerships, in Los Angeles, has made overtures about Toyota, and may push for the launch of a satellite Toyota operation next year in order to be prepared for a possible changeover to Toyota in 2010.

Nascar may have said No, but it appears the GM-Chrysler buyout is getting close to being done. If this takes place...what will happen with Dodge...and the Dodge teams?

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How can NASCAR tell a team which manufacturer they have to run?
There's got to be more going on than the manufacturer switch...
As any Robby Gordon fan knows, its because they make up the rules as they go along.
I'm wondering the same thing.
I believe NASCAR has put the GEM deal on hold, it's reported NASCAR nixed the deal, but being told that's not true. Nascar has told GEM that right now they need to wait and see before approving any deal. Mainly because GEM was building the new Dodge engine and GEM is under contract with Dodge. Dodge officials are swearing they'll be back and intends to hold GEM to their agreement.
Penske was building the new Dodge engine. Must be some other reason
Nissan Renault's CEO has a history of turning struggling companies around. He did the same for Nissan in the late 90's
HAHAHAHAHAHA! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE! Serves Gillett right.

See it almost seems like RG knows what he is doing. I doubt moves myself, but he always comes out of things ok. Now RG is one step ahead of GEM with Penske and his engine program...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!
To me the most interesting part of that story is this: Penske already leases Dodge engines to Robby Gordon. Sources say that Penske, who runs one of the country's largest Toyota dealerships, in Los Angeles, has made overtures about Toyota, and may push for the launch of a satellite Toyota operation next year in order to be prepared for a possible changeover to Toyota in 2010.(Winston Salem Journal)(10-27-2008)

Could Robby be in a Toyota next year? If Penske wants to get a leg up on Toyota then that would make more sense than starting up a new organization.
That is exactly what I thought when I read it too. RGM makes perfect sense for a satellite cup operation to test Toyota out, except that RG is taking all NASCAR ties out of RGM.

The other thing that makes no sense, why would NASCAR let Penske switch in 2010 and not let GEM switch in 2009? Weird...
Maybe because Penske asked first?
And Robby has a prior Toyota relationship, though not as an owner.
Maybe Penske's contract with Dodge is up after 09 so Nascar couldn't really stop them from going to Toyota in 2010. Thats the best I can come up with at least.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service