Robby Gordon, No. 7 MAPEI/Menards Dodge Charger, eighth-place finisher

THOUGHTS ON TODAY’S RACE?

“It has worked out for us this year as far as restrictor plate races go. Another top-10, that’s three and an 11th in restrictor plate races. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the results at the road courses like we expected. I’m happy with the guys. They’re maintaining our cars really well and doing a good job at the track. I’m happy with the results. We’re happy with the Penske engine. Obviously, we had good results with Gillett Evernham engines as well. Right now, we’re just moving forward and trying to score as many points as we can. It was a good day for us.”

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it was! A new beginning is coming our way! Much needed!!!!!!
Notice he still thinks about the 2 road courses. With the 4 plate races and 2 road course races, getting a Top 15 is enough points to stay well inside the Top 35 if you just run average at the other races. Robby knows those two road courses put him in the position he's in now. It's eating him up! He knows he had cars good enough to win at the road courses. I expect him to have a much better year next year.
I hope he chews on this until next year and doesn't make the same mistakes again!!! Blowing those two races really, really HURT!!
True, but he should have had those races IN THE BAG!
Not in Cup in 2008/09. There are far too many talented road racers and nothing is "in the bag." Thats why it is absolutely moronic for anyone at RGM or for any of his fans to assume great results prior to the race. This isn't 1996 where you can only count on maybe five guys with a real shot to win the road courses. There are easily a dozen cars/drivers that should not surprise anyone if they're up front at those tracks.
Robby should be ok now that he got that top 10 at Talladega. Proves that he still knows how to drive these cars and is a great morale booster,especially for the team and the fans.If he can pull off a good finish this weekend at Charlotte, the folks in the garage won't be laughing at RGM anymore like they were.
I'll say again what I said earlier this year. They need to get a handle on the intermediates. Those are the meat,& potatoes of the schedule. If they can pull off consistant top 20's @ the inter's, Top 10's @ the Plates,& maybe pull one off @ a road course, we may have a contender next year. It's all about those inters, though.
I'm not here to diss RG after a good race BUT, look how close he came to tossing sunday's race. Losing the draft by inattention - goofy rules violations. He has to do something to take luck out of the equation.
And the funny thing is, it's not hte first plate race he has lost the draft at this year. He got back with Lucky Dogs prior.

Don't confuse a top ten finish with an actual solid competative run. Getting the top ten is good, even if 20 other cars had to DNF, but an actual solid competative run is what the team really needs.
It was a smart race. He had a car that would run in the front pack with the leaders that crashed.
And by choice stayed back. That's why he came home with a 8th place finish. Not because the competition was taken out
SMART RACE ROB.

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service