http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Robby_Gordo...

TALLADEGA, Ala. – Robby Gordon says he has enough sponsorship to run the full NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule next season
and has no interest in driving for anyone but himself.

Gordon said Menards is among the sponsors coming back. Gordon has had sponsorship mainly from Menards and Jim Beam this year. Jim Beam announced last November that it would sponsor Gordon through 2008 and has not yet announced its plans for 2009.

“If people are estimating that we’re going to go away, obviously they don’t know me very well,” Gordon said after qualifying Saturday at Talladega Superspeedway. “We’ll be fine.”

As far as a possible merger – Gordon had agreed in January to be bought out by Gillett Evernham Motorsports but that deal fell through – Gordon says he is not going to drive for anyone else.

“I may let someone come into my shop, but I won’t go into someone else’s shop if that makes any sense,” said Gordon, who is 32nd in points during what has been a crazy season for him.

Gordon recently began a four-race engine-leasing deal with Penske Racing.

“We’re only into race two of it, and I think they’re good motors,” Gordon said. “I’ve got a lot of respect for [team owner] Roger [Penske] and always have. It’s the first time he’s ever done a lease deal and I feel honored that he would do a program like that with us.”

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds like Robby! A determined, independent, have it his way, man. Stay true to yourself Robby.
Nice. Do what you gotta do boss!
“I may let someone come into my shop, but I won’t go into someone else’s shop if that makes any sense,” said Gordon

Wonder if Riggs & State Water Heaters? or someone else...Why would he say that if something wasn't on the table....HMMM?
Apparently, Scott his a comitment from State for some $$. Now it seems Kyle has about the same deal from Wells Fargo. Now if JJ Yealey, & John Andretti could just come up with a little scratch. We got us a team, boys, & girls
Also if GEM switches to Toyota & Robby stays with Dodge, Making the BUD SHOOTOUT would be:

#12 -David Streme
#2 - Kurt Busch
#43 - Bobby Labonte
#42 - Juan Pablo Montoya
#41 - TBA (AJ Almendinger)
#7 - Robby Gordon
YES, just another brillant idea from King Brian, YOU "DA MAN!!!
He should get Burger King as a sponsor. If there is anyone in the CUP garage that is "your way, right away" it's RG. Quotes like those make me proud to be an RGM fan. This guy is real and tough, hard headed and hard-working, great behind the wheel and always a great story! How could anyone not be a fan of this guy! GAS ON!!!
Sad to say.........It seems as if misguided fans, in large numbers. Have figured out a way.
So Rob doesn't want a boss, but he'll take on a partner. He also has enough sponsorship for next year. I almost feel as if I've heard that somewhere else recently. Now it comes from Robby though, so it must be true right? I'm amazed that it was stated how it's to Rob's benifit, that he stay with dodge, without the vise versa part. Next he'll be talkin about Kyle Petty racing a limited schedule with him. Not like he'd have to field a car for Kyle. Kyle could fund his own ride out of Rob's shop, in a patnership. That would be benificial for all parties involved.
So Robby wants to drive for himself......Not surprised by that at all and not unhappy about it either! Good on ya, Rob!
Hmm. Just what I'vebeen saying since that merger/bailout with GEM first was hinted at...do your own thing Robby. Be in charge of your own destiny. Add a team when you can afford to and take care of business.
Rg will be good to go in 2009.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service