Gordon still wants deal with Gillett, Gillett is who wants out?

Proposed merger may be in jeopardy

■ Robby Gordon said he still wants to merge with Gillett-Evernham Motorsports, despite a suit just filed against him by Gillett-Evernham.

Gordon, who has been using engines supplied by Gillett-Evernham this season, said he expects to have a legal response in the next few days to the lawsuit filed against him by the Ray Evernham-George Gillett operation that claims a breach of contract on a proposed sale of Gordon's NASCAR operation to Evernham-Gillett.

But already there are rumblings in the NASCAR garage over what might be the real story behind the suit: whether Evernham and Gillett don't really want to do that deal with Gordon any more, perhaps because they have a better proposal, or for some other reason.

One key part of the entire situation is Gillett's plan to move his team from its relatively isolated Statesville airport location down much closer to the Charlotte-Concord heart of the sport.

Evernham and Gillett haven't been here to explain the situation from their viewpoint, but Gordon said he still wants to do the deal with them. One key to the proposed $20 million deal apparently is a sale of Gordon's shop and real estate -- some prime racing real estate -- to Evernham and Gillett.

There is increasing speculation that Chip Ganassi -- a Dodge team owner like Evernham, Gillett and Gordon -- might also be a potential merger partner with Evernham and Gillett. And Ganassi has prime real estate too, right next to the Concord airport.

"Unfortunately I guess you'll have to learn more about all that in our answers to their complaint," Gordon said. "But we have a deal with them, we have a contract that is still in effect.

"What they have asked -- I wouldn't say it's so much against Robby Gordon, but they have asked for release from the contract. But we've already done so many things together that I don't know if that's possible."

Might Evernham and Gillett want to drop the Gordon deal so they can do a deal with someone else? "Maybe that's what the case is, but I'm not privy to that information, so I don't know," Gordon said.

See the article here:
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/sep/08/nascar-notebook-prop...

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hearing GEM is asisting RGM with help to regain his position back in the TOP 35, crew chief?

Not sure yet, lots of news coming out this morning. I'll post any details I get.
Maybe you should get a job with jayski? He uses the word "Hearing" at the beginning of everything and I think you'd do a great job as you seem to have all the scoops.
Don't be hater!

Is that your grade school photo as your icon?

Just kidding...LOL
I have to say "hearing" because I got the info from somebody I trust, not straight from a sit down, eye to eye, conversation with Robby himself.

However, if you look back, I doubt I've posted alot of info that didn't come true or learn later that is was a strong possibility.

I remember getting toasted on the uprising when I said I heard Robby was buying Yates...turned out later he did have a deal to buy Yates.

I stated when the season started I heard Robby was selling the team to Gillett and just about everybody bashed that thread too...Robby would never sell! No way Robby would sell! Well guess what...it all came public info last week.
im posting this in several discussions so everyone will have a chance to read: The hottest rumor on the mill right now is Robby is intentionally tanking these races so his team will be worthless when GEm is forced to buy it, and the John Menard and RG will buy DEI retain Truex and Menard (obviously) with RG being the third driver. Smith and Almirola would be out in this scenario. Also it has been said that GEM is who pulled out of the sale when they found out they could purchase BDR or CGR cheaper than RGM, thus the "I'll make my team worthless and you'll still have to buy it for what was initially agreed upon" attitude. Kinda makes sense to me it would make RG's recent strange decisions/performance a little more clear. Maybe all is not lost for RG in Nascar
At this point that at least makes some sense. I've learned over the years to never underestimate Robby Gordon.
Doug,

None of the information in that statement above is true.

It has been confirmed that Robby still plans to go through with the sell to GEM and drive for GEM for the next 4 years.

The deal about purchasing DEI along with Menard is what GEM is referencing their suit to as discussions with other possible mergers. Those dicussions were made by Menard and not Robby. Robby has not violated any agreement with GEM and still has a signed deal with GEM for the purchase of his team and shop.

The thing that will be damaging to Robby will be his public remarks at Watkins Glen. Even though it's damaging, it will not violate the agreement (Freedom of speech).
When all this shakes out, its an outstanding possibility it will happen. RG is intentionally taking his team out of the top 35, why do this if you will still be the driver? His response to the suit will most likely be along the lines of him asking for a complete release from GEM in exchange for them being held to buy the team at what was agreed to. RG was no dummy to have Menard do all the talking, but he isn't dumb enough to take himself out of the top 35 in a car he will still be driving for years to come either. The man has a plan.
Why do you believe Robby is taking himself out?

Listening to the scanner during the races I have never heard anything that made me believe he's taking himself out. I'm sure Jim Beam, Monster, Barrett Jackson and others would love to sponsor a car that the driver is trying to ruin, and owns...that makes no sense. That would be marketing suicide.

Robby doesn't sound like someboday taking himself out during the race..."I can't drive this car! It's way too loose!"

Don't be surprised if Robby ends up with GEM next season.
I'm with you Bigzoom.
maybe it's a big act because he knows he's being listened to???? ever think of that?
yeah but do you lose credibility and core fans??? intentially tankin???

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service