http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/The-Daily...

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 8:49 am EDT

The Daily Dose: Still trying to figure out this Stewart Haas thing
By Bob Margolis
While I was away on vacation last week, I happened to miss the press conference announcing Ryan Newman as the second driver for the new Stewart Haas Racing team.

Did anyone (other than Newman fans) get excited about this? And should we even care?

Not me. I'm still scratching my head over this whole Stewart Haas Racing deal.

There's an old saying that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The NASCAR road is strewn with the debris of race teams owned and operated by active drivers. Is Stewart that egotistical to believe that he can be the first to break the streak?

Giving up the seat and then owning a team appears to be the more successful path to take.

Stewart has mentioned (several times) that he has talked with Robby Gordon about being a team owner. That's like planning an ocean cruise and talking to the captain of the Titanic about which route to take.

For those of us who know, Gordon's operation is barely staying afloat. After rejecting an extremely generous bid to sell his organization to team owner George Gillett, Gordon has conveniently put himself between a rock and a hard place. He hasn't paid himself in nearly a year and his team is essentially un-sponsored and without a manufacturer agreement for 2009
Not the kind of reference I'd be using, Tony..

Who will be running Stewart Haas Racing? Joe Custer? I don't think so. Nice guy, but given his track record, he's certainly not the kind of big league player needed for this operation. I think Stewart knows that and I expect we'll have an announcement within six months of new leadership.

And finally back to Newman. Is there a more overrated driver in NASCAR today? Two wins in the past 131 outings doesn't scream "hire me." It's been five years since Newman had his "glory" season. That's a long time for a sport that thrives on "what have you done for me lately." Maybe it's the Hoosier connection or something, but Stewart certainly could have done better.

Don't get me wrong. I like Stewart. I like him a lot. And I wish him nothing but the best. But, there's something about this whole Stewart Haas Racing deal that just doesn't feel right.

That's how I see it.

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of which adds up to another way around the 4 team limit. I wish there was a way to put a stop to the megateams controlling everything....it's killing the whole sport.
Its BEEN a Hendrick team and Haas has HAD very deep pockets.
Reputations are on the line... Hendrick will see to it that the SHiRe gets some of JJ's hand-me-downs and motors that pack enough HP to get them into the top-35. After that it will be up to them.

Looking at the sponsorship issues that are out there, Daytona aside, the "Top-35" may become irrelevant. We are already seeing a drop in race entries. NASCAR may not be able to field 43 cars at some tracks next year.
Ouch. Seriously, how hands-on is Smoke going to be in his new enterprise? Can y'all say puppet? RGM = apples and SHR = oranges (no pun intended).
Maybe one day Bob Margolis will hit the big leagues and actaully write for an out let that just sucks. Come on Yahoo sports, that's kind of like letting Google operate on your hemmaroids.......

Yes..I think Margolis is a jerkoff and I would really like the chance to tell him that standing within swinging range......

Lack of credibility aside...he does make a point about Stewart doing what he is doing. His pop shots at Robby are a really shitty attempt at humor and REALLY piss poor journalism....I highly doubt Dickface was privied to the terms of RGM/Yates buyout, RGM/GEM merger and my other guess is Fuckneck has never seen RGM's accounting...so for him to make those comments is kind of like a little kid standing on the side of a basketball court crying becuase 10 others are actually playing and three of them are female...and he didn't get picked to play.......

I don't know why in the fuck he is sour on Newman...we could all probably argue about this...But it's not like Penske has had decent cars for awhile...I bet Kurt Bush is kicking himself in the ass for leaving Roush...........My guess is.....both Newman and Stewart will win races next year...That will really piss this cocksucker reporter off.......

Grow the fuck up Bob.....Your journalism sucks...and you are a fucking "Sports" reporter for one of the worst run companies in history...a company that is not a sports entity either I might add.....
This post has been Rated MA-17 by the Planetrobby Association of America. ( PAA )
Where do I find the channel filter?? LOL!
:)

My morning got better after I posted this........Nothing like a good profane laced tirade to get your day off to a flying start...........
People are missing the point here a little bit. This is very different from Robby's situation. Tony only owns half of the team and didn't have to put a penny into it to acquire his 50%. Everyone also forgets that his co-owner has more money than he knows what to do with. A VERY different situation than Robby. One that has more potential than RGM. I also have to believe that Ryan Newman wasn't born yesterday. He had the choice of returning to Penske or going to RCR which had all teams in the chase last year and may acheive the same feat this year. However, he chose SHR. Now, I don't know what the results may be of this move but this has a lot of potential.
like somebody said, apples to oranges.
Well according to what ol' Rusty Wallace had to say, Newman did not have the option of returning to Penske. He said that on national TV.
As for him going to SHR over RCR...Ryan had his best (& most controvertial) results with Matt Borland. Anybody know where he is currently? I believe he's still the director of competition @ HAAS/CNC Racing. Something tells me he'll survive the transition to SHR for '09 as well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service