According to one paper, Scott Riggs manager is in discussions with 3 potential owners: Bill Davis Racing (Toyota), Robby Gordon Motorsports (Dodge) and Yates Racing (Ford). Riggs currently drives a Chevy with Stewart/Haas Racing, but is almost 99.99% sure he will be the odd man out when the season concludes.

All 3 of the teams offer a different path and alot of unanswered questions.

Bill Davis has tried to field a 2nd full-time team 4 times and failed with all four. His #93 Amaco team closed up. His #23 Hill Bros Coffee team shut down, his #36 OTC 360 went belly up and his #27 closed before the season got going. Davis' track record doesn't look good with expansion. Davis also seems to be behind on the Toyota pecking order with JGR and Red Bull.

Robby Gordon has been trying hard to add to his team, but has been challenged at keeping sponsors on his own #7 team. The biggest answer Riggs is looking for, will Robby keep it's alignment with GEM. Riggs would love to get back behind a Dodge and Gordon may offer him the best opportunity.

Yates would be a great opportunity for Riggs, but State Water Heaters has previously been contacted by Yates marketing team about moving their sponsorship to David Gilliland's #38 team. Would Riggs want to take a gamble with Yates and possibly be released due to a performance clause and loose his sponsor State Water Heaters in the process.

Riggs won't make any decisions until he gets official word from Stewart/Haas, but that doesn't mean he won't have a plan ready for action.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeez, don't take everything so serious! OK, how 'bout this - Nascar can't get a gas sponsor, switches to plug-in hybrid drivetrains for 2010, RGM switches to Fisker, and Paris Hilton is the second driver, brings tons of sponsors....
From the Scene Daily: (August 6,2008)

Robby Gordon would love to add Riggs/2nd team: #7-Robby Gordon may not have full sponsorship for his Sprint Cup team next season, but he doesn't seem too worried about his prospects. In fact, the driver is talking about the potential of adding a second team to his Robby Gordon Motorsports organization. For now, though, Gordon is focusing on running a pair of races on the Watkins Glen International road course this weekend. Based on his history, the driver expects to excel. Gordon finds himself pelted with questions about his sponsor lineup for next season. As the economy tightens and a list of teams seek sponsorship, Gordon has found himself running some races without a primary sponsor. "Right now, next year looks a lot like it did this year, where we have sporadic events," the owner/driver told a national teleconference with reporters Tuesday. "So there is opportunity. Obviously, sponsors and everybody wants to be involved with a team that can win races. I look at this weekend as an opportunity of putting our team in victory lane. There's only been three teams this year that have been in victory lane. So if we could pull it off, that would be big."
Gordon says that his role as owner/driver has built in a little more flexibility than some would have when it comes to racing with a car that needs sponsorship. This season, he has primary backing from Jim Beam, Mapei, Camping World and Charter, and he picked up a race from Valvoline. He has also run some races without anything on the hood, including the road course event at Infineon Raceway. Still, Gordon remains confident that his team will weather the storm. He has formed an alliance with Gillett Evernham Motorsports, one in which he gets support from the three-car Dodge organization, and has never fallen out of the top 35 in owner points despite changing manufacturers shortly before the season-opening Daytona 500. Gordon knows that a second car would likely boost the performance of his organization, but he's not rushing to add another effort. He admits, though, that Scott Riggs, whose status with the team now known as Haas CNC Racing is unclear as Tony Stewart prepares to take it over next year, would be someone he'd look at should that become a possibility. "I think Scott Riggs is a very good race car driver," Gordon said. "[Am I] committed to running a second car? You know, we'd love to run a second car. I think our team and our facility and our systems and procedures and policies, all that stuff, is in place now to run a second car. Gordon seems confident that the sponsorship will work itself out for next season. Gordon will run the full Sprint Cup schedule either way, but full sponsorship would certainly make his task less difficult. "We know what it takes as far as sponsorship to go and do this thing," he said. "And I feel confident that we'll get a sponsor for next year, and we'll able to continue on. I also have a lot of confidence that Jim Beam will return with us, as well."
Now that Yeley is a free agent... Who is better? Riggs or Yeley?
Riggs, easily. Look at what Yeley did in the 18 car. Now compare that with Dumbo Jr's performance in the same car with nearly the exact same personnel I see no contest between the two. At least Riggs has had some success in stock cars, granted it was in the Busch Series.
Kyle is a top 5 driver. Tough to compare there. Both Riggs and Yeley dropped their cars out of the top 35 this year (Riggs from the 100 point ding tho) I think it's pretty even. I guess it boils down to marketability... (Again)
Having a sponsor in your pocket (if the State Water Heaters story is true) breaks the tie. Riggs.
Get Danica if sponsor money is more important than performance. If you're looking for a driver becuse of their driving skills, there's better options out there than Riggs or Yeley. Andy Lally for one - great road racer, doing quite well in the truck series with questionable equipment. Give someone like that a shot.
I think the important issue at this instant with RGM is a decent driver with sponsorship. Sure, there may be better drivers on the market, but RGM can't afford them without a sponsor. While I don't think it's anywhere near panic time yet, Robby is not able to get full time sponsorship for himself, much less a second team.

The package deal is the only reason Riggs is being discussed.
True! Robby's not trying to go out and hire a driver. Robby has stated MANY times, if he can add a 2nd team and sponsorship is available to support that team he's interested.

Same as with Jacques Villeneuve , if he has a sponsor then Robby is willing to support the team. He already stated he believes he has the policies and procedures in place to run a 2nd team. It's sponsorship that makes it happen. Riggs supposively has State Water Heaters willing to support him.
I think Scott Speed is the next big thing to come from the truck and arca series'. Although I am pretty sure that he is in a developement program for someone and is not on the market. I think the only real plus to this deal with Riggs is the sponsor. It would be nice to have a second car for sure but I would rather see the 7 right first. However, there is no doubt that having a second team would make the other team better, but if Riggs doesn't come with a sponsor I don't think it's even an option.
Scott Speed drives for Team Red Bull. That isn't going to change any time soon.

Threw together a Scott Riggs RGM Fictional..

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service