Do you think Watkins Glen is a make ore break race for RGM?

Since Robby started his own team he's had sponsorship, but this year it appears the economy is hitting Robby hard. Of course this is just looking from the outside. I have no idea inside RGM how financially stable the team is. But showing up weekly without decals is not good.

Alot of people would have love to see Robby at Montreal, but I believe Robby testing Wed at Road Atlanta speaks volumes. (By the way did you know Robby shared every note with Marcos Ambrose's team for Montreal)
The team seemed to have found some things at Road Atlanta, I hope it pays off.

But, I would think if Robby could win at Watkins Glen what a huge boost it would be for RGM. Yes, it would give the team alot of momentum, but financially it would pay huge. Huge jump in points. Put RGM in the Winner's Circle program. Reserve Robby a spot in the 2009 All Star Race. Easier sell to sponsors.

Robby needs to have a Top 5 but finishing 25th or below would be a huge blow to RGM.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are 49 entered now. A new list came out yesterday. The RGM #55 is 44th of those 49 in owners points, so would miss the race if Q's are rained out (and all of the other 43 actually show up - one are 2 are listed with Driver and/or Sponsor TBA).
Let's see, it's Tuesday and the weather Gods are forecasting evil things for the weekend. Maybe it will come true BUT for those who live in and around New England you know that the weather can and often does change dramatically in a short period of time. I'm going to keep a good thought!
If it does rain, I'm wondering if Nascar will go with rain tires for qualifying and/or the race for the Natiowide series, after they did so well at Montreal.
I think that they used up all the tires NASCAR had at Montreal as they could not reschedule that race. There is a park limit as to how many days the course can be used for racing. They mentioned that fact during one of the previous years F1 races. Plus, I don't think Goodyear has made any since those.
I think I heard that there would be enough for the Nationwide race IF they were needed but that the Cup race would not be run on rain tires - if they had them or not. Too many unknowns with the COT to add running on rain tires. At least that's basically what they said on Monday's NASCAR Now.
I think a lot of the Cup drivers wouldn't mind trying running it on the rain tires tho from the comments I've been hearing. Well at least those that have some liking for running the road courses that is.
rain tires would work a lot better at the glen, a lot of it might have to do with the elevation changes there compared to Montreal's relatively flat surface all the way around the joint.
First off...Robby needs a good finish/win 1. to get the Eff away from the top 35 precipice.. and 2. Make Jim Beam feel all warm and fuzzy in VL and get his sponsorship squared away for 2009...

Second...Though I readily admit most drivers have improved their game at the roadies...it is these COTs that have really leveled the field. Robby's much better built old style road coarse cars combined with his major talent level advantage (except over Jeff, Tony and Boris) has made these seemingly top 5/potential win gimmes into hard fought for every position races.

Jamie McMurray, Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman??? Im not saying theyre awful road course drivers, I think they are quite decent, but not to the point to being anywhere near equal with Robby, and the old style cars proved that. The last 2 years with this COT is where you are seeing the leveling of the playing field.

Honestly, is there anyone other than Tony Stewart that could have pulled what Robby did in the first 30 laps of the 2005 race with the old style cars?

ANyway, here's to a great pair of races this weekend! And dont fret the weather until Thursday....anyting over 36 hours you could throw darts at the wall and predict the weather better..
Jamie McMurray, Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman??? Im not saying theyre awful road course drivers, I think they are quite decent, but not to the point to being anywhere near equal with Robby, and the old style cars proved that. The last 2 years with this COT is where you are seeing the leveling of the playing field.

How did the old style cars prove that? I saw Kurt Busch take the best Robby could throw at him, and drive off to win at the Glen in "old style" cars. I saw Jamie McMurray finish 2nd to Jeff Gordon at Sears Point in the old style cars. Third at Watkins Glen behind Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart, ahead of Robby Gordon in 4th in the "old style" cars.

Really, why people go so overboard about RG at the road courses baffles me. His stats don't come close to comparing to guys like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. Every discussion of RG at the road courses, usually is just a list of excuses.

Yeah, he's good there. And they are two of the tracks he has his best chance for quality finishes, but they're far from the only tracks, and he's far from a lock. And the COT is not the reason he's hardly a lock, the field has improved, and that didn't just happen last season so the COT is not why the field has risen at the road courses.
While I agree with you about the records of Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart, you cannot deny that he has run well at Watkins Glen in the past. If Robby wasn't Robby he would have 3 or 4 wins there. Even without those I think his average finish at WG is like 8.8 where as Tony's is 6.1. So compared to everywhere else, Robby is a threat on a road course. Any time you run in the top 10, you can win.
Avg finish at Watkins Glen is 10.6, which is solid. Seven top tens in ten starts.

At Sears Point, its 22.1. Nothing to write home about. Only 3 top tens in 11 starts. Hasn't had a top 15 finish since his win there.

The races play at as they do, and have proven he's hardly a lock at the road courses. He's more of a threat for a top finish at Daytona or Talladega than he is Sears Point since starting RGM. You don't have to believe me, the numbers don't lie.
The guy has 9 starts here and 7 of them are top 5's... can't beat that too often...

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service