From Jayski....

Gillett Evernham interested in free agent drivers: Tuesday Gillett Evernham Motorsports owner Ray Evernham spoke to Sirius Speedway host Dave Moody about the possibility of bringing Ryan Newman or any other free agent drivers to his race team for next year.
Host, Dave Moody: "Are you now, have you ever, or do you anticipate active negotiations with Ryan Newman for a spot in your stable next year?"
Ray Evernham: "We have not negotiated with Ryan but we have put out the feeler that we would be very interested, certainly, in talking to Ryan about the future as would probably all the other car owners but we've not spoken with Ryan or negotiated with him. But, yes, we are interested in talking to him."
Moody: "So if your phone rings and he does [call] you back are we talking about a fourth car?"
Evernham: "Mr. Gillett and I would love to expand to four cars. So if that's going to happen it has to happen quickly but there are opportunities to grow Gillett Evernham Motorsports. But, again, that depends on drivers and sponsors and there are sponsors available with the proper drivers."
Moody: "Would it be safe to assume then that Ryan Newman might not be the only top notch driver in the final year of his contract that you might have reached out [to] at this point?"
Evernham: "Yeah, absolutely, but there's no sense in doing a fourth team unless it can add to what we're already building and to start a fourth team without the proper sponsorship or a driver that can add to the program just doesn't make sense. There are a couple of drivers available and there are some sponsors out there that are talking to other teams, too, besides us to put packages together. But if we were to be able to put that package together to strengthen Gillett Evernham we'd certainly do it. The guys that are out there that have been talking to people, certainly that we have spoken to or are interested in speaking [to], are the same guys everybody else has talked to: Ryan Newman, Casey Mears and Martin Truex are the guys that are in the hot rumors right now."(Sirius NASCAR Radio)(7-23-2008)

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know he can swim and he has that badass boat! I agree 100%, but what I would say is that as a sponsor I may not want to go with someone who is consistantly changing. Wether it be people or manufacturors, or relationships with other teams etc... I feel that the best way right now is to build some consistancy and stick it out. I know however that is hard to see when results are not what we want right now. They are all tough decisions.
For all their money and smarts, Pennske and Ganassi have never been major competitors but I don't think it's because they drive Dodges -- I just don't think they have their stock car ducks in a row.....but that's just my opinion.
Rusty Wallace seemed to do pretty well through most of the 90s driving for Penske.
just tell me, out of Robbys 4 seasons with RGM, what Manufactuer did he drive that was his highest points finish?

Are you really trying to sell Ford based on that stellar 2007 season of zero wins and a 26th place in the points?

If Jack Rousch isn't signing your paycheck, driving a Ford in Cup seems to be fairly pointless.
There is another discussion on "is Everham really supporting RG.' Obviously by the statements made by Ray, he is looking elsewhere for drivers and never mentioned Robby (However, Ray is not going to get Newman) - I always thought the thing between GEM and RGM was not a good match. GEM caused all that grief for RG early this season by sending him the wrong noses for the car and Robby did not need that. RG has had a bad year, with lawsuits, etc. I'm amazed at how he keeps going. I certainly wish him well this weekend and hope Kyle and Montoya get into each other. Joan
Robby is a big boy. Thats how he keeps going.
Ive actually been thinking about that, with all the seats opening now. His organization is not DEI though, even though Dales wasn't what it is now when he did that, I don't think Robby has ever been as well organized and funded as DEI ever was even in its beginings. I hate to admit that though. I think it would be cool to see him in a great seat, RCR was not at it's high point when he was there I tihnk we can all agree to that.
Ain't up to Ray anymore - he has small ownership interest.
Haha thats classic, but he's not going to tuck his tail between his legs and give up on his dream of owning a succesfull team, they got the team. Just go to work on the success part. I have faith! But ahhhh Robby and Happy together as teamates again, I sure do miss those days!
Maybe he could do what Earnhardt did - drive for Childress and put another driver in the car(s) he owns.
I'll second that!
Yeah I agree, and also he has too much pride to fold I think.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service