From Jayski....

Gillett Evernham interested in free agent drivers: Tuesday Gillett Evernham Motorsports owner Ray Evernham spoke to Sirius Speedway host Dave Moody about the possibility of bringing Ryan Newman or any other free agent drivers to his race team for next year.
Host, Dave Moody: "Are you now, have you ever, or do you anticipate active negotiations with Ryan Newman for a spot in your stable next year?"
Ray Evernham: "We have not negotiated with Ryan but we have put out the feeler that we would be very interested, certainly, in talking to Ryan about the future as would probably all the other car owners but we've not spoken with Ryan or negotiated with him. But, yes, we are interested in talking to him."
Moody: "So if your phone rings and he does [call] you back are we talking about a fourth car?"
Evernham: "Mr. Gillett and I would love to expand to four cars. So if that's going to happen it has to happen quickly but there are opportunities to grow Gillett Evernham Motorsports. But, again, that depends on drivers and sponsors and there are sponsors available with the proper drivers."
Moody: "Would it be safe to assume then that Ryan Newman might not be the only top notch driver in the final year of his contract that you might have reached out [to] at this point?"
Evernham: "Yeah, absolutely, but there's no sense in doing a fourth team unless it can add to what we're already building and to start a fourth team without the proper sponsorship or a driver that can add to the program just doesn't make sense. There are a couple of drivers available and there are some sponsors out there that are talking to other teams, too, besides us to put packages together. But if we were to be able to put that package together to strengthen Gillett Evernham we'd certainly do it. The guys that are out there that have been talking to people, certainly that we have spoken to or are interested in speaking [to], are the same guys everybody else has talked to: Ryan Newman, Casey Mears and Martin Truex are the guys that are in the hot rumors right now."(Sirius NASCAR Radio)(7-23-2008)

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok Jeff, thats a real interesting piece abot GEM, but I fail to see the connection to your thread title.
Robby is not, nor was he ever intended to be the 4th driver for GEM. Maybe you can enlighten me as to what your looking for?
not really looking for anyything... just looking to start conversation... thought the article was interesting.

jeff
If you are really that concerned, you should read Chris' response in the other thread.
Alex, where would you suggest RG go,& why? I've heard a lot of people say RG should jump ship to Toyota lately. Thing of it is, Toyota is only "King of the Hill" right now. Does anybody really believe Dodge, Ford,& Chevy aren't working in R&D right now to see why they're not on top? Thats the thing about racing, if your chasing the leaders, your not winning. JMO, but I think Dodge is a great camp to be in, they aren't facing the financial woes of GM, & RG's not stuck under "the Cat's Hat", like he was over at Ford. as far as Dodge goes, yes they're a little behind currently. However thats the wave you ride in this sport. It's a constant race, on the track,& in development. Right now, Toyota's leading, last year it was Chevy, more specificly Hendrick, before that Ford, & Dodge. Never fear Alex, this is just another wave .
Couldnt have said it anybetter Mike!!! Good one
Exactly!
Toyota is the only car making profit. Didn't GM announce cutbacks for Cup. It would be nice to see RGM commit to a manufactuer for several years, but look how well Red Bull and Gibbs have done. The Big 3 aren't ringing cash anymore, with plant closings and consecutive losses in profit for how many quarters, how much can they support the little teams?
exactly, if u don't make money, yous can't go racing-Toyota ain't doing too bad for thier 2nd year in cup, and with the current economy & the Big 3's financial pinch, Hope Honda ain't watching
I wonder how much the COT plays into GM's decision to cut back. After all this car design is totally owned by Nascar. Why sink money into advertising a bunch of stickers on a generic car?
Didn't work in F1. At least it hasn't yet.
Didn't work in NHRA the first time around.

Took forever in CART, and they they only got one year on top.

I don't see them kicking too much butt in IRL IndyCar anymore either.
This article is about GEM expanding, I never thought that Robby was looking to become his fourth car. As far as the help he gets from GEM, I am not really sure what we all expected, it happened so fast. I don't think that he is getting different motors than the other GEM drivers, and he chose to run his own chassis, instead of GEM's because he liked his better. I always thought that it was to be more of a union of sponsorship opportunities, but thats just what I thought, I new he was going to get GEM motors and chassis. I don't really understand where the idea that Robby wanted to go to GEM came from? I also don't think he will benefit from changing manufacturers every year, he will have to stay with one for a few years to see the full benefits of the change.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service