Join in and discuss all the action for the 2012 San Felipe 250. Robby Gordon will drive the #77 SPEED Energy Trophy Truck. Live coverage begins on Saturday, March 10th via the SAN FELIPE link on the main menu. Trophy Trucks are slated to begin at 1:00pm/et ( 10:00am local time ) .Raceday chat will begin at 9:00am/et. Robby Gordon will start 3rd.

Views: 6421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a prepective from the TOOL, just my .02;
1-Nikal is on to something with the Fox shock cooling system. Im familiar with tthem. Its i good design, especially here in San Filepe. Saying that, I do not know what, like Nikal said what RGM has done to combat heat.
2-I like many on here like the mid-engine TT, especillay if one knows the physics of how it works. And yes, the style of attack and driving style is different than a front engine truck.
3-IMO most people feel more comfortable in a front engind truck, because, ALL vehicles on the normal OEM car market are,,,,,wait for it,,,,,FRONT ENGINE.
4-Class one cars normally are rear engine cars, which again folks , takes a different driving style.
5-RGM thoughtfully and deliberitely thought out the mid engine truck based on his desire to create something well balanced and forward thinking. Sure anybody can hop in a "traditional" front engine "Geiser" design and go for it. But Im one of those guys who carefully examines many hours of video to watch how cars work in a variety of situations. There are many varibles to consider in a vehicle; chassis setup, driver/navigator skills, and the right equiptment and support crew to build/prep the vehicle. I can look at any vehicle and almost wihtout fail teach MINI TOOL the root cause. I can mostly tell if its the driver, or the setup. Just one of those thinks IM good at.
6-so in summary, the RGM truck is a great piece, old, but still a great piece. Trannies are one of those variables in TT's which see a ton of abuse, an then now add in the factor of the 39' tires just puts more stress in an already stressed component. Look over the years, transmisions have been the culprit in many of guys DNF at many a desert race. SHIT HAPPENS. If I left anything out, Mike or NIKAL feel free to jump in.

Well said as usual bro . Robby had a whole month of good luck so it was just a matter of time before the other shoe dropped . In my opinion Robby STILL has some of the best designed equipment out there . Yes it's older and maybe well worn , but what I'd like to see is Robby use the same design but update everything to be able to run the bigger tires , use the Fox shocks and all the rest of the more modern stuff . Yes I know it takes money but how bout taking some of that NASCRAP budget and using it in offroad . 

MIKE...........Like I said earlier you need to get out of the basement. Your post just after I made mine backs up my point.........Take a pill.

Mike first of all show me where I said RG's stuff is junk. My comment was, maybe he needs to look and new ways of making his car faster..suspension/chassis. RG has always been on the leading edge of motor sports. He is the BAR all others compare themselves to.

Sir I don't know who you are nor do I care, but your attidude on this site sometimes is a bit much. You need to respect others questions than maybe you might get the respect you think you deserve.

We are not all like YOU ........know it all with the GOD opinion. This site should be for all thoes who are not as savy as YOU that want information on the guy they love to watch race.

Like I said take a breath............5th in the mud an't so bad.

The simple way to look at it. Engines are producing may more power, tires are getting bigger, suspensions are better. What hasent changed?..... The trans, u joints and rear ends.

Those trans and diffs and driveline just take so much of a beating. Maybe the answer is to cryo everything every race.
And Rob hasn't been known for being easy on equipment.

Supposedly RG is going with an albins transmission for the 500, based on a post I saw Kevin Wilson put on the PR facebook page

K that takes care of the tranny , now just update the rest of the truck . I'm not saying a whole new chassis just tweaking what is already a great design . 

RGM, I can assure you, preps their rigs as well or probably better than any other team out there
WOW, Albins stuff! That should be intersting....Looking forward to seeing what product goes into the TT. yummy yummy.

So now here is your shinning moment MIKE...why don't you share your vast knowledge with thoes of US that don't know why RG should change transmissions. What would be the difference between what he is running compaired to an Albins.

By the way thanks TOOL for your insite......good stuff you should have lunch with MIKE and share your educate and knowledge with him.

I plan to have a beer with Tool sometime,live.

If Albin's is building a conventional style (sequential I assume) transmission (Not a transaxle like the Hummers use) then we need to hope there is a ton of testing done, and not be disappointed when failure happens. Their are a lot of growing pains when developing something new. I know all to well as I helped the TT team that worked with Xtrac's when they came to our Baja style off-road racing. Xtrac builds the gearboxs for F1, IRL, LaMans, Dakar and World Rally. So coming to our style of desert racing was suppose to be a rather easy transition for them. After almost a years worth of testing and racing, the team was still having failures and the guys at Xtrac said they were finding shock loads recorded on the computer that were greater then a top fuel dragster taking off the line. Between the team and Xtrac they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. Fortin has spent many years developing their own sequential style transmission and is having some success. Currently the new Jimco All German Motorsports BMW TT is running Fortin. Lets hope Albins has the same good luck with RG, but lets not give up or complain when he does not. Using a Albins in a TT is going to have teething issues as all new developments do.

Not sure if going to Albins is going to solve the tranny issues. What type of trans is it going to be?
I dont know the exact specs of the current TT, but I assume its running a 400, a unit thats been around for almost a century and therefor hard to improve upon. I mean I suppose theres nothing left, knowledge and parts, to further improve a 400 for (extreme)Off Road Duty. I'd like to know what broke this time? Anybody know the details? Pictures?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service