Dakar 2012: Volkswagen Stops Dakar Engagement, VW commits to WRC with VW Polo.

www.marathonrally.com
Volkswagen to start contesting the WRC with the Polo R WRC in 2013. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, on eof the Volkswagen-bosses declared Volkswagen’s entry into the most versatile of the four automobile world championships (World Rally Championship, WRC). In front of 200 journalists he unveiled the concept of the Polo R WRC, the car with which Volkswagen will compete from 2013 onwards, together with Luca de Meo, Head of Marketing of Volkswagen AG, and Volkswagen Motorsport Director Kris Nissen.

For Kris Nissen and his team the World Rally Championship entry marks a new commitment. "We look forward to this new challenge and are working on this project with the same passion with which we won the Dakar Rally in the past three years," said the Daniard. After three consecutive victories at the Dakar Rally, Volkswagen has set itself new aims in top-calibre sport. With three car corporations currently involved in the championship and global media coverage, the WRC offers an attractive, highly competitive environment for Volkswagen.

"Downsizing, high efficiency and reliability are top priorities for our customers. The timing of the WRC debut is optimal for Volkswagen. The big task of engineering a vehicle that is competitive and capable of winning at a large number of challenges holds great appeal for us."

Proven squad, new aims: Volkswagen Motorsport’s factory commitment Volkswagen will prepare and enter the Polo R WRC as a factory commitment. In doing so, the Wolfsburg-based squad can build on structures which have been established over the past few years. The World Rally Championship is a new ambitious aim for the team that has won the "Dakar" in the past three years. "We can draw on an experienced and proven squad which has done an outstanding job in top-calibre sport in the past few years," says Volkswagen Motorsport Director Kris Nissen.

"Even though the WRC is new territory for us and involves learning in many areas the team already meets some important prerequisites now as it brings an unwavering professional attitude and resolve to deliver absolute perfection to this commitment."

Views: 629

Replies to This Discussion

You sure they are stopping Dakar? I would be suprised with all they have invested and the success.

Here is the new engine for the Polo...
Attachments:
From what I have read and from what has been talked about regarding what Mark Miller might do next year. My guess is VW is done being a factory team at Dakar. Now who knows if VW will support a few private teams? In the past when a Manufacture decides to pull out of a sport they have been willing to sell their "works" cars off to big private teams, and offer manufacture technical support to those teams. So maybe VW will be back, but just not as a factory team.
Thanks for the info. I do hope they continue as a factory team though. Having owned bugs, a 2185 in my old school sand rail, them giving Robby his first Dakar ride, and the support they showed trying to keep him in the race last year, VW will always have a cool place in my pocket book... I mean heart.
Thanks for the information NIKAL. It will be an interesting Dakar, can't wait.
Here is some info from someone in the know regarding the VW team. Pretty much what I speculated about in my previous post. We might see VW back, but it would be a private effort with maybe some factory support.

"VW getting out of the rally raid has been a rumor since the start of this years Dakar race. I heard that Nasser Attiyah might take over the Team. Remember he raced the Touareg one more time after his Dakar win. He or his family has some Volkswagen interest in Qatari his home country. If my speculation holds true they will be back but "they" maybe be under new management."

Update;
"I asked someone within the team and yes there won't be a factory effort, and no Nasser did not takeover the team but there might be some effort to come back outside of the 100% factory team we saw the last couple of years."
rally buzz

This is from an interview with VW's Motorsport Director Kris Nissen (KN).

Q: Will Volkswagen continue to contest the Dakar Rally? KN: "There will be no factory commitment at the next Dakar Rally in 2012. The entry of a customer team is being considered at the moment. There are several parties interested in such a project. Volkswagen has achieved all of its aims at the Dakar Rally. We are the first and so far only manufacturer to have won the world’s toughest cross-country rally with innovative diesel technology. And not just once but three consecutive times – Volkswagen has gone down in history with this hat-trick. The "Dakar” will always be near and dear to our hearts and remain a part of our success story. Now, we are tackling a new sporting challenge with great enthusiasm.”

I've also heard suggestions that the Dakar team could be given to Porsche (which VW owns) and the cars will be repackaged as Cayenne's.
A diesel Porsche? I don't think that has been done yet, will be interesting. Too bad for the Dakar that VW is pulling out, I believe they brought alot to the race. Fans, technology, ect...
They do sell diesel Cayennes and Panamaras in Europe.

No doubt VW pushed the technology envelope. However, since they were pouring in exponentially more money into their team than anyone else, it made the race itself less interesting. To me it seemed like they were buying the wins.
A few things that make you go Hmmm... This is from a thread about VW out of Dakar on RDC. Mark Miller commented and this is what he said;

"What do you guys think? Should Robby and I win Dakar for Speed Energy and USA or Should I go team with Stephan and drive a Mini or even a BMW and stay in the Euro Circuit?"

Then today he said this;

"We will see how Robby does at the 500 but it should be good unless he gets impatient between RM180-220, the suspension will not enjoy that nor will Robby, Ha but he could kick but in the hummer on that course for sure. There are a few moving Chicanes in front of him that will test him but thats normal in Baja.

For dakar his package is good, just not on the rally roads but thats no big deal. You can lose 10-15 minutes on the rally stuff and make that up on one desert stage. (and there are 4 or 5 good looking desert stages this year) He missed the good stuff in 2011 which he could have really put gaps into the field if he was on his game. Without VW there will be a big shakeup this year and there will be lots of mechanical issues for all the contenders. The guy with none will win in 2012.

I'm tired of Euro but the fact is thats where almost all the fast guys work... so it's a tough call but I could help Robby and maybe we could pull it together and beat the Euro guys. For sure we would have the speed it's all about the reliability and the service plan, and thats not easy to address. We just need a few sponsor deals cause I'm not a philanthropist when it comes to racing. Cheers to you all. MM"
Nice. That would be a winning team!
Those two together would be a helluva team.
pretty interesting stuff

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service