We might as well have a catch-all thread for bikes, so here it is.
The lead up with the Johnny Campbell and Honda has been covered here-http://www.planetrobby.com/group/planetbikerbar/forum/topics/honda-...
Now we can post all Dakar info in this thread, with no holds barred [or maybe no stone un roosted would be a better term].
Here are the hype video's from the main players. It seems to me the marketing guy's have really stepped up their game to give us some really bitchin hype.

From the KTM-
http://youtu.be/Y-Elxizf7_Q

From the Husky-
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=302480226523773
And from Honda-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfNsoXioIs&feature=share&li...

Views: 4346

Replies to This Discussion

Inside DAKAR 2013, KURT CASELLI

JCR/Honda
‎@RallyTeamHRC Dakar Rally Race Report stage 10
Johnny Campbell
I have never been in so much pain as I am right now and having to continue 4 more days of Dakar. Believe me that I am living proof that God is strong in our weakness. I just completed over 600km in the deserts of Argentina and I have no excuse but I was carried thru by Gods mercy. The stage was actually amazing with fun roads and green grassy trails on a bike only stage. I wish I was full strength cause I would have liked to tear it up. Instead I was cautious not to get in trouble today because my body just couldn't have reacted quick enough. I think I was 21st on the stage. Tomorrows stage is going to be very difficult. Hot, and dunes in Fiambala. Usually known as a game changing stage. I just pray I have enough strength to push thru the sand.
Hope everyone is well.
Sincerely,
Johnny

AFTER I PASSED CYRIL, I JUST FOLLOWED THE ARROWS

And according to the audio clip here >http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/stage-11/quotes-all.html he's just riding around. Typical Kurt, he's always just "aw shucks, this is just my job" about these kinds of things.

Nooooooooooooooo, we won't know until the morning if Luis and his KTM 150 starts the stage.

Small engine, big heart

Life on the Dakar is a permanent challenge for Luis Belaustegui. The Argentinean biker started the Dakar for the third time with the smallest engine in the field: a KTM 150cc. Although his adventure came to a halt during the 13th stage last year, he has not yet seen the finishing ceremony. His road to Santiago has again been full of pitfalls this year. Already penalised by a top speed that is much lower than the speeds reached by the 450cc bikes, he is especially exposed to greater mechanical fragility on the more demanding stages of the rally. To reach Cordoba, at the end of this edition's longest stage, the University Professor from Missouri in the USA had to call upon all his resources: “I'm exhausted,” he sighed on finishing in last place on the special, 19 hours after having left the bivouac in Tucuman! “Everything went well on the first part of the special, but after that, I jammed my engine. I spent between 5 and 6 hours repairing it. Seeing as I'm not a skilled mechanic, I took everything to bits and cleaned it, before putting it back together. And the bike worked. I was completely improvising, but in any case, my life is made up of improvisations”. Relieved at having passed this test with success, Luis is not at all reassured for the rest of the rally: “I've already changed the engine twice and I don't have a spare one. I don't know if it will go the distance. I'll have to talk with my mechanic to see if he can find me a solution, but I think he's going to hate me”. Between Cordoba and La Rioja, the machine withstood the test and Luis was able to “defend” his last place in the general standings. However, the dunes of Fiambala will not be kind to his little machine…

FROM JCR FB:
Johnny Campbell Dakar race report- stage 12 Fiambala to Copiapo.
Liaison 397km
Stage 318km
Today we crossed back over the Andes mountains in to Chile for the final stages. It was 30 degrees at 6am, headed over a 15,500' pass! I was frozen, it was pure torture. I stopped to change gloves and nearly collapsed due to lack of oxygen and an ailing body. Then as we approached the start of the stage after 5 hours of Liaison, I almost feel asleep while riding. At the start of the stage I felt kinda weak and not very confident. I cruised for a bit and had to stop and pick up a downed Spaniard. (Second time this race, different
rider. He was ok only wrist soreness. I got him patched up with a few cable ties on the bike and off we went).
This stage had 75% dunes. Super soft but really big fast sand valleys with minimum rocks. You could hold it wide open for miles. My ribs did a little better today proof that the prayer is working! I have been able to keep going in desperation mode. I'm am ready to see the finish in Santiago, Chile,
this coming Saturday. 2 stages left. Tomorrow Copiapo to La Serena, back to the Pacific Ocean! Yeah! Thank you everyone for your prayers I feel them every bump!
Love,
Johnny

JCR/Honda
Johnny Campbell Dakar Race report- stage 13.
Today's stage was very long. 90km liaison- 420km special- 204km Liaison
Over 10 hours riding. The start of the special was special because I had to pass 3 ATV's. It took about 20k to get the last one. Fortunately the track ran down a high speed oiled dirt road for a ways so I got some clean air finally. Then we ran thru a big dune section with lot of tricky navigation. I found myself slowing down to make sure I was going the right direction. I am very impressed with the fast guys breaking trail in stages like this. Not sure how they do it. Mucho respect. The ribs are feeling better everyday so maybe not broke just hurt like a donkey when I hit bumps or the bike goes sideways which is common in the dunes. You are always correcting. The special was two parts, with a 50 km neutral zone in between. The second part was really fun, hard packed two tracking' just like home. Actually much of it was backwards from last years Dakar. I felt good in the second half and rode well. The bike has been amazing and is working well. I'm ready for the the final stage very short and spectator friendly just outside of Santiago.
Thank you for the prayers.
Adios,
Johnny

That, folks, is an owie.

JCR/Honda
Dakar race report-stage 14
LaSerena to Santiago, Chile
121km liaison
130km special
100km neutral zone
13km special
200km Liaison

Today was the final day of Dakar racing. We left the bivouac at 5:30am. Started out riding in heavy fog and mist on wet Tarmac. Not a good combination with fresh knobbies especially when you add in semi trucks and buses. This was the scariest part of the rally to me. Fortunately we rode out of the wetness soon and the sun came up. The special was hard pack and slick. Lots of cliffs and easy to throw it all away here. I rode conservative the first part as dust was hanging badly. My goal was to it to the finish in one piece.
I made quick work thru many riders and felt comfortable. Well really I just wanted to pass Lira Sans, SHE is really fast! How is it when your a dude and there is a chick that is ahead of you it makes you want to not get beat by a girl? I guess ask my boy Jeff Ray.
Anyway back to the race. After the special we fueled and took off on another monkey butt liaison. I think I used every position possible, standing, left cheek, right cheek, hanging legs, side saddle, arm back, arms straight.
Glad that is over!
The final special was a quick 13 km thru trees. I quickly caught Chavo but was held by his dust. We finished and were greeted by the top dudes at HRC and media. We started off for the final 200km liaison to Santiago. Millions of people lined the route into the parc Ferme. It was over. Mees is so tired physically and emotionally. Ribs hurt, hands and wrists ache, butt is for sure uncomfortable, back ache, head ache....you get the picture.
I am glad we are done. I am super pumped to finish this Dakar for HRC and my fans!
God Bless. Thank you for your prayers and support.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4 NIV)

Sincerely,
Johnny Campbell

Great job by the rookie Kurt Caselli. 2 stage wins & 31st overall

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service