Ensenada, Mexico (November 17, 2011) – Robby Gordon and the No. 77 SPEED Energy / Toyo Tires team will return to the Baja Peninsula for the 44th Annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000, November 17-20. The race marks the fifth and final round of competition in the 2011 Tecate SCORE International Off-Road season.

In a race that is known for its grueling course and tough competition, Gordon will be faced with competition from approximately 275 other racers. Drivers from 34 U.S. states and 16 countries will gather in Ensenada, Mexico, to compete in the 36 Pro and six Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATVs. Gordon will compete directly against 33 other competitors in the elite Trophy Truck class, including ten of the 17 previous season point champions. The Trophy Truck class is the marquee SCORE racing division featuring 850-horsepower unlimited production trucks, and is expected to be the largest class competing in the Baja 1000.

The Baja 1000 will take place over a 692.82-mile course, with the competition both beginning and ending in Ensenada, Mexico. The trophy truck class is scheduled to roll off at approximately 11:30 a.m. PST on Friday, November 18. The vehicles will leave the grid in 30-second increments for the timed event, which is expected to take the fastest competitors just 14 hours to complete.

Gordon, a three-time overall Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 champion, finished second in the 2010 edition of the race. While Gordon is racing his No. 77 SPEED Energy / Toyo Tires Trophy Truck across the Baja Peninsula, Reed Sorenson will be working with the SPEED Energy team to prepare the No. 7 Dodge Charger R/T for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

“I’m very excited for the Baja 1000 this weekend,” commented Gordon. “I love this race. Growing up in off-road racing has made this particular event extremely important on a personal level. For that reason, I’ve always made it a priority to race in the Baja 1000 throughout my NASCAR career even if I wasn’t able to compete in the entire SCORE schedule. This is a very tough and physical event; every year about a third of the guys who enter the race never cross the finish line. Fortunately, my team has been known for producing quality off-road vehicles that are up for the challenge, and I’m sure that the SPEED Energy / Toyo Tires Trophy Truck will be no different. Despite damaging our truck and needing to replace the drive shaft, we finished second last year. We hope to improve on that this year and bring home the winning trophy.”

Views: 185

Replies to This Discussion

Godspeed and Gas On, Robby! Have a safe race....and I expect a first place finish this year. No one better out there racing you.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service