31-12-2009 - "Scrutineering" - day 3: Carlo de Gavardo, the ambassador of Chile

From http://www.dakar.com/index_DAKus.html

“Estuvimos presentes en el nacimiento del auto”. Carlo de Gavardo habla con un afecto particular del enorme Hummer número 326 que va a conducir. A principios de diciembre, estuvo con Robby Gordon en California para seguir de cerca los últimos preparativos de su coche, como si de proteger a un niño prodigio se tratara. Algo que sorprendió al piloto estadounidense, para el que el profesionalismo de su equipo basta para ofrecer todas las garantías. Pero Carlo es latino: “Soy algo anticuado en la forma de trabajar, necesito ver y tocar”, comenta. Se le ve por primera vez relajado y disponible, sentado cómodamente en el espacio para los corredores del centro de verificaciones. Sin embargo, este segundo Dakar, al volante de un coche, no está exento de presión: la ayuda económica del Estado chileno, los colores de la bandera nacional en la carrocería, ¡sin olvidar el bicentenario de su país como telón de fondo! Pero a De Gavardo se le ve más bien tranquilo. Y con mucho humor. “Son vacaciones para mí”, sonríe. “En Chile estoy acostumbrado a levantarme temprano. Y disputar el Dakar en moto supone un gran madrugón todos los días… Así que con el auto voy a estar más tranquilo.” Está contento de tener a Juan Pablo Martínez a su lado, un copiloto con experiencia, y reconoce que su situación cuenta con un gran valor simbólico: “Para mí es un orgullo que el gobierno chileno haya decidido ofrecerme unas condiciones tan buenas para la carrera”. Sin embargo, es comedido en sus objetivos: “Mi victoria sería terminar. Es lo más importante. La clasificación solo ocupa un 10% de nuestros pensamientos”.

"We saw the birth of this car", says Carlo de Gavardo affectionately speaking of the huge Hummer nr. 326 he will be driving in the race. Early December he was with Robby Gordon in California supervising the last rounds of preparation of his car, as if he was nursing a prodigal child. To the great surprise of the North-American driver - by the way - for whom the professionalism of his team was enough to have all guarantees on the car prep. But Carlo is a Latino: "I work the old fashion way. I need to see. I need to feel what is being done", he says. Sitting in an armchair of the racers’ area at the scrutineering center, he is relaxed and available for the first time. Nevertheless his second Dakar behind the wheel of a car might be a rather high-pressure one for him: financial support from the State of Chile, the national flag of his home country on the body of his car, and the celebration of the nation’s bicentennial as a background! But De Gavardo plays it rather cool! He says - a touch of humor in his voice: "This is a vacation for me." Before adding in a laughing voice: "In Chile, I am used to getting up really early. When I did the Dakar on a bike, it was early hours every day... So it will be quieter driving a car!". Happy to have Juan Pablo Martinez, an experienced copilot, by his side, he readily admits that his position is highly symbolic: "I am very proud to see that the Chilean government chose to put me in such great conditions for the race." However, Carlo’s ambitions remain conservative:" My victory will be to finish the raid. That is what matters the most. Being at the top of the standings is only 10% of my mental equation."

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

Carlo may just surprise everyone. He has gotten a pretty good feel for the Hummer. If he just tries to be consistent and make no real gross errors, he will do fine. The Hummer support in Chile will be galactic.

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service