WILL RG MOTORSPORTS DEVELOP AN ALL-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE FOR FUTURE DAKARS!!!!

Its early, or way to early in this years race,but I believe 2010 is the last year the Hummers will beable to race Dakar. Do you think RG will want to build an all wheel drive version of the Hummer for future Dakars to come. I also fill that with the possiblity of an overall could he get the Factory Support from a Major Auto Manufacture?

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you RGFAN flat tyres and overheating is part of the dakar but 1 hour behind the leader by stage 4 is not good in anyones book. Especially when you got 1 BMWs and 3 VW's in front of you. RB win 2day was great but did't do anything for his catch up time.
Back on topic the 2wd is to slow when hill climbing mountains wrc style, slow entry slow exit. The hummer is great on the flat strait line baja style of racing, thats where he is quick. RB ses the hummer good in the dunes but i find it hard to see after stage 3 and when its one of the longest wheelbase cars there which will cause it to belly out in the dunes real quick. 4WD baby its the only way for dakar victory. Stage 5 all eyes on the man.
considering the works guys are all on 4 wheel drive, its pretty clear imo where the advantage is, and thats with the 4x4.

i guess hes dropping more power aswell, as he doesnt have a turbo
I'm still trying to figure out why so many people are asking and wanting to know if RGM will build a 4 wheel drive Dakar car?

I can answer this for you. NO!

If Robby felt the 4 wheel drive was the the answer he would have already built one. Robby drove the VW his first year and that car was 4 wheel drive. After that experience Robby felt he could build a better machine within the ASO 2 wheel drive rules. I believe one of the biggest reasons Robby feels the 2 wheel drive is the best choice for him is the wheel travel and tire size rules.

Also to build a competitive 4 wheel drive vehicle will cost much more then what it costs to built a 2 wheel drive. The technology in the 4 wheel drive systems costs a lot of money. VW is compared to the Ferrari and McClaren teams in F1. In the big picture RGM is still considered a privater team. He does have a bit of factory support, but that is just it, its support.

Lets not forget the "Factory Works" teams budgets are 8X to 10X what RGM has to spend. Also these factory teams are running 3 to 4 cars and they are running rally's threw out the year. Not just Dakar. So their development time would be sped up tremendous over a team like RGM.

Now lets not forget that a team and driver named Jean Louis Schlesser has won the Dakar twice in a 2 wheel drive buggy and finish in the top 5 many times. Also his buggy was American built. And in the early 2000's the Citron and Mitu teams were the big factory teams and he beat them too. So this proves it is possible to win with a 2 wheel drive team.
Lmao never say never,RGM will win at any cost and in any car necessary.
The problem is is that the Dakar rally is no longer in Africa and that is where the Schlesser buggy won. Africa was a very different race. If they consistently race in South America the rally style car will have an advantage on the WRC stages. No doubt Robby is making up for the short comings of the hummer through bravery and talent. I know race car development is costly but remember the old saying "How fast you want to go is proportionate to How much money you want to spend". One of the worst things about the dakar rules is they are hurting the hummer especially the tire rule, since tires are even more critical on two wheel drives. Also they need to revisit the air inlet restricter and increase the size to help the breathing of the motor. If we ever go back to Africa then this discussion is moot and everything changes. Go get-em Robby! "Checkers or Wreckers" !
It's too bad Dakkar can't go country to country every year in a different continent. The deserts of the US/Mexico would be great.
The BLM (land NAZI'S) have to much restrictions. There were rallys in Ridgecrest and Palmdale for a while
Don't get me wrong the Hummer is a great race truck ,my point is that the WRC rally style cars have an advantage on certain stages and the Hummer has advantages on others. The main thing to look at for the team is does the rally suit the all wheel drives or does the rally not favor one type of vehicle over another. Also, of course this is a different vehicle from the African version that was over three years ago and this is definitely an evolution of that vehicle. Each year they have made strides and gotten even closer to the works vehicles,quite impressive indeed. It does seem that every year it is gremlins that cause them more problems than the speed of the works vehicles. Hopefully the ASO gives a little more size in the restrictor next year to help with a little more power,but I don't hold my breath. Anyways none of us will know what the team will do unless we are on the team so for now we can bench race and speculate.
Are the VW and BMW Diesels 4 or 6 cylinders w, turbos.
VW is a 5cyl Turbo diesel. Not sure about the BMW (6 cyl, I think).
going off the pdf rules on the dakar site, i think robby has a 34mm restrictor, and the diesels have 38mm :(

RSS

Newest Members

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service