When Robby switched to Toyo was there a reason or just money? I wonder if he talked to Goodyear

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear your situation. But clearly, poor performance for the off road Wranglers should not mean their Drag Racing, Sports Car, Formula car etc tires are poor as well. That has been my point all along. I believe the comment that got me was "Goodyear Tires suck, period. Trojan makes better rubber." Clearly a well spoken comment by a well spoken individual...

Just curious, were they MTRs?
No they were the OFF HIGHWAY Desert Wranglers. Get over it they sucked.

The MTRs for CORR seemed to be OK
Get over it? Are you reading what I wrote? I accept they sucked, my point (from the beginning) is that doesnt mean the rest of the product line does.
I bought 20" Wranglers for my truck and have had to have all of them replaced with no signs of road hazard. That's why I hate them. $1000.00 worth of crap. I've had General on the truck, and 40,000 miles later.................. No issues!
What major Sports Car and open wheel forumla racing series are Goodyear still involved in? I'm pretty sure that Firestone/Bridgestone chased them out of CART (ChampCar), IRL IndyCar and Formula 1. They're not involved in the Grand-Am DP series. ALMS?

They've already made it clear that if anyone else is allowed in NASCARs three national touring series, that they have no interest.
Goodyear had a great endurance tire program with team Corvette (Pratt and Miller), but budget cuts hit and the team moved to Michelin. Bridgestone/Firestone definately handed it to them in Cart, they had a clear compound advantage that Goodyear had no answer to at the time. With the small budget they still have, GY does a decent job with drag racing, lower teir sports car events, and Nascar. Whats funny is Gys racing budget if a fraction of other companies. They also do design on Dunlops race tires as well. (Except motorcycle tires)

An interesting note, back in 2001/2002 GY came very close to getting back into F1, with a push from Ferrari. The powers that be determined it was not worth the cost. Thats probably as much as I should say on that, there were a lot of hurt feelings and wasted design time with that project.

Part of the issues in Nascar is the COT design and its dependancy on the right front tire, Nascar not allowing a wider tire to compenate, teams outland-ish setups, etc. Goodyear is trying to avoid another tire war like the one in 1994 for a number of reasons. Of course one is to protect its name. But another is to avoid putting lives in danger. Hoosier brought a wildly unsafe tire to Daytona that year, and Rodney Orr and Neil Bonnett paid the ultimate price. Hoosier actually let all of its teams run Gys in the 500. Hoosier was later kicked out of Nascar for cheating. (Multiple tire constructions for one event, "hot" tires to top teams, etc)

I could go on, but with the crowd here there really is no point. TorqueWrench spilled his stupidity, and some people on this site chimed in adding little to no factual info. In reality I have nothing to gain, I have no pension plan with GY, and most of my friends there have moved on to individual race teams. I guess I was just trying to educate and combat ridiculous statements. In hind site, I should have not even bothered. Clearly his experience with one set of Wranglers is indicitive of the entire product line, street tires and racing included.
I will say as a huge NHRA fan that the GY tires they run are incredible. The amount of stress those tires are under is unbelievable. Just look at a slo-mo video of a top-fuel or funny car launching. The tire actually wads up, doesn't explode and still holds up good enough for 300+ mph.
Matt, quit it already! You're losing, and you continue to make an ass clown out of yourself! The question was about OFF ROAD tires and you continue to push drag tires, and Formula 1. You should've kept your keyboard shut. I will make another stupid comment! Trojan makes better Rubber than Goodyear.
Oh no, the name calling has begun...

Losing? I was not trying to win, just educate. Its the internet, is there really a winner?

Your right, it WAS about off road. You brought up Goodyear tires all suck, regardless of the type. You opened the door to a discussion regarding other tires, not me.

I am not one who made the clearly hill billy-like statement referring to condoms, that "ass-clown" was you. Whats your educational background? That might be humor in itself.
When you're a hill billy you make hill billy like comments! What's wrong with hill billies? And if you must know, I have a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Texas. I work as an engineer at an aircraft engine overhaul facility. Humorous! Now shut up already!
Which aircraft engines? I'll plan my vacations to avoid those aircraft accordingly.
The question was... "Why Toyo Tires?"

Answer was:

BFG Didn't step up.
GoodYear Didn't step up
Toyo was smart and they did.

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service