"The Squid" could help 4 tire pit stops get under 10 seconds

One rumor that has leaked from the garage by a unhappy former crew member is that a former Indy engineer is working on a experimental new air gun for a Nascar team. The new air gun "The Squid" is alot heavier than the standard Nascar air gun because it has individual power driven sockets that will allow each bolt to be removed simutaneously with the touch of a trigger. The trigger will spin each socket at the same time allowing a tire changer to remove all the bolts on a tire in the time it takes to remove one. It's rumored to remove all 4 tires from a car in less than 5 seconds with 2 tire changers.

"The Squid" has one big challenge, putting bolts back on. A team would have to put bolts back on the way the do now with a individual air gun or figure out a way to align bolts with a Squid. Currently bolts are glued to the rim and a tire changer individually screws them on one at a time. Because the Squid is so heavy it tends to knock bolts loose from the rim when under timed pressure. If the Squid can overcome the putting tires on issue, then crews will have to work on getting fuel into the car faster, otherwise they'll be waiting on the fuel and not the tires.

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you dump 2 cans of gas in under 10 seconds? What's the real limiting factor on pitstops these days?
Can't we all just get along...
can you post a link to that....LOL
Wilks, I gotta say I wonder where Zoom comes up with some of this stuff too. Is it so hard to give credit to the source it came from? I'm NOT trying to start an arguement with you or Zoom. I'm just sayin, not all of us get satilite radio, or may not have been listening to that segment. That said, it's cool to get this info, & then we can comment on it, or constructively criticize it's pros/cons. However we don't know you, or Zoom, like you don't know me, or Matt. So how exactly are we supposed to weed out the legit stories, from the those who get a kick out of throwing out bait, to see who bites?
After all, Matt pretty much echoed my speculations about this "squid" not going any further than a single hub lug would in Nascar. I suspect it's for "stock car" reasons, as much as it is regulating stop times, but whatev...it ain't gonna happen.
That said, Zoom you stated it correctly, were all here for the same reason. So maybe you can take the extra second to paste a link, or credit a source. After all, I would think you'd want credit if Jayski was reporting some great scoop you got.....right?
i don't know its a tricky situation...ZOOM has more scoops than the national enquire. i just read them file and push on to the next subject unless something gets my attention than i comment
I hear ya man. I can see where Matt's comin from with some of it. He's spent time in the garage so to him "the squid" sounds aboud as ludacris as it does to me. Matter of fact you'd prolly get a look from some guys on pit road, like your sellin magic beans if you brought that up. So to ask for a source, not too much to ask. Again, I'm glad Zoom contributes as much as he does....it's just the format I guess that gets under the skin of some.
no doubt i see where you are commin from. I was just browsing some sites for news and one caught my attention over at RDC. i started reading it and it turned into one of those bitch sessions like over here during friday practices....lol
bitch sessions here? no way!
I'm glad I've never been involved in any of that nonsense!
amybody who just fell out their chair laughing, post a comment...I wanna get a quick tally who's up on my sarcasim.
this may turn into a long running thread

is this the "squid" looks more like something Rambo would use...LOL
As if the pit boxes aren't heavy enough right. They'd all need RZR's (or something bigger) to tow the pit boxes back to the hauler, lol
Geez, it was a local radio station, like I said they were talking with a former crew chief (i don't recall who because it wasn't anybody I had heard of) the were laughing and telling funny stories, when the JGR oil deal was brought up he mentioned a team experimenting with The Squid, like I said once they got going it turned into an adult conversation about a power tool & JGR super oil...you can only imagine, then they quickly cleaned it up and talked about Joey Logano. wasn't a long segment, just thaught it was interesting and I posted...not sure why it's such a big deal
It's not that big of a deal Zoom, just trying to get you to see from the other perspective. Look, I dunno if your trying to be sarcastic funny, but sometimes it comes off as more arrogant. Trust me I understand how sarcasim can easily be taken wrong in print. For instance, if I hadn't read at least 100 of your previous posts, that whole "Geez...not sure why it's such a big deal" well I'd think your just a prick,& fire back at ya. However, being I have read plenty from you before,& I'm pretty certain you are a loyal fan, I'll give ya the benifit of the doubt. Like I said earlier, if it was yours, wouldn't you want credit? If it sounds really far fetched, wouldn't you want people to know your not just pullin this out of...thin air? I'm just sayin, you want to be taken seriously, you want to avoid these arguements, tell us where it came from. Let us in on the whole thing,& be prepared for the validity to be questioned when you don't. Heres an idea, re-read your own posts, like your a newbie. Do you come off as intellegent,& informed, or arrogant,& rude?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service