Just saw the "man in Black" clip on Robbygordon.com.... and felt a little sad. Robby is not in black for the reasons Johnny was, he's in black because no one will give him money. Not a fan of this idea.

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhZAE1-ydM&feature=channel This is why Robby likes the song.
what Johnny Cash song was it that they played when they said Rob cut the corner at the 250 "Outlaw" ? Now that was a great video/Song going off a cliff......... play that one again.
lyrics from the man in black part 2 video:

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black

I don't think it needs any translation
Mike, I agree with you 100%. Why people are trying to make such a big deal about this is beyond me. This is a video that is intended for Robby's fans. This is not a TV commercial and it is not on nascar.com or any other website except for robbygordon.com and youtube. So, no, it is not a promotional stunt, it is just a message to Robby's fans...nothing more. If you don't get it, then you just don't understand Robby.

I'll be perched up on an RV this Sunday to watch the black #7 come out of turn 2 and into 3. Can't wait!
I thought the video was pretty neat, especially Part 2. Black is downright intimidating, symbolic of a rebel outlaw. I like the entire imagery.
Interestingly enough, my first race EVER was last year at Pocono (June) when Robby drove his "Back in Black" car. Robby got me interested in racing and gave me and my wife the opportunity to watch the race from a unique perspective. So thank you to Robby and RGM for my new found love of racing!
And Part 3 of the message:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRGE1lR93SE&feature=channel

Guess this helps me choose which RG shirt I'll be wearing on Sunday! One in BLACK!!
Again, no one has proven that RG is in black for any other reason than he can't get sponsors to pay him to race their colors. This is not what "man in black" was about. These videos have integrity of DW.
I get you Dave-O, and I too am a long time, die-hard Johnny Cash fan. But really it's no different than a Dylan song being used to sell iPods.

Wilco has a great verse that I think sums it up pretty well.. "And if the whole world's singing your songs, And all of your paintings have been hung, Just remember what was yours is everyone's from now on".
No one has to prove anything, it is what it is. It is ALWAYS risky to use something from someone truly legendary, and usually brings out different opinions.

Johnny Cash and his popularity has been used many times, and not neccessarily in a proper manner from the prospective of a true Cash fan. Example: The country song 'Johnny Cash' written by John Rich, and sung by Jason Aldeen, had nothing to do with Johnny other than they played him on the radio as they left town. The song 'Johnny and June' sung by Heidi Newfield was just an attempt by a second rate singer to sell her first solo album using the popularity of their 'true love' relationship, and what it meant to country music fans.

Johnny Cash stood up for the common person oppressed by the 'powers that be,' or struggling to get a fair shake in life, and in getting a second chance to live a different life.

Robby represents the same things in many ways, and I believe his use of Johhny Cash in these videos has much more to do with that than anything to do with lack of sponsorship.

Robby stands up in the face of adversity, and he does represent the 'little guy' that has to stand up for himself/herself in order to get a fair shake, or be seen and heard.
Right on, sister!
I get all this....but for me it boils down to one thing...I really want to see the 7 - black, red, green, orange, whatever color - in victory lane. and this may be a wild ass guess, but probably RGM wants that too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service