The Buffalo News gives me the answer about a Dakar/Robby Gordon piece

First off this is the person I spoke with.
Wilson, Lisa (Sports Editor)

849-4465

lwilson@buffnews.com

I don'y have much time right now so I won't get into it all but here is a brief over view of our little chat, (no response to email so I called her and she answered on the first ring yea that's a F'n hint) As you would expect I got the canned answer I was expecting so the next steps are a couple local small "weekly publications" a letter to the editor written in my own hand writing (so I better get some beam to steady my nerves) Any way here are the highlights of a NO I don'y think so I got.
1) she never read my email in the first place and we agreed that I resend it today
2) Union shop we don'y do things like that
3) Offered for free was we can't do that we'd have to pay so I suggested 3 dollars and was told "no that's not our rate"
4) She "heard of " Dakar but ddddddduuuuuhhhhhhhhh......I expressed in a polite manner that was a fine example of why folks need and would enjoy a Three piece article covering the rally
5) She had no sense of humor and to be honest I wish could meet her in person so I could really see this for real
6) I was nice and she asked questions however I feel she was trying to bait me into the direction she should go for her own benefit
7) I mentioned Robby gordon and his over extended effort to win this thing and some highlights from last year
Overall I tried but I think I just tipped my hand to her is all she claimed "we would get that stuff from the wire and "if there was local connection................other than me I guess.
8) Oh yea number 8 the one thing I did NOT do.................tell her to KISS MY ASS!!!
Now I need to figure a way to get some photos if need be for my next effort.
Lisa Wilson folks bombard Lisa Wilson

Views: 2403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very good Mike, I am off by one, but where is our Desert & Baja racers that can kick EU's ASS.
GAS ON ROBBY

Well David our best Dakar guy is Quinn Cody, and he just signed a contract with the Speedbrain Husky team. However Quinn is at home, on his couch with a broken leg from the Baja 1000. You can keep up with our other guys here -http://www.planetrobby.com/group/planetbikerbar/forum/topics/the-da...

That would make our best Dakar guy Robby Gordon. He's not hurt and is racing just saying........................................

Didn't he break a collar bone at the last Dakar?

Yes & from what I've seen on Twitter it's been pretty much injury after injury for him this year since then.

Canada has 4 entries from what I can see...

David Bensadoun is driving the #353 car.

In the bikes, there's Donald Hatton on the #110, driving for Husquvarna and Patrick Beaule, #154 for KTM.

and yes, one truck.. #568, Yvan Turcotte in a Man.

Even though there aren't a lot of US drivers, there are more and more American made vehicles in the race. Off hand, there is Robby of course, the Red Bull buggies, Eric Vigouroux's trophy truck, an Argentine has a US built TT style truck, and a few Polaris based vehicles. There are probably a couple more. I have to think this will generate some interest here as more people in the industry are exposed to Dakar in some way.

I'm shocked that the Dicovery Channel or something similar isn't doing a full-on documentary of RG and Dakar. He's a recognizable face to all Nascar fans, it's far more inventive and impressive than the constant chopper shows they do, and it shows the world in a way most people will never know. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I had a similar idea in my head except I was thinking there could be a full on series. It would be a reality show like the bike building/fishing/mining shows. The show would follow several teams, beginning months before the race. Have an American team (Robby) and a European team or two and maybe one from somewhere else (South Africa?). It would show preparation of the vehicles, testing, the business aspects, and the politics and deal making involved. Then you would have a number of episodes that would cover the race itself and life in the bivouac - maybe 2 stages per episode, depending upon what happens. I guess there is a risk that the teams you followed crash out early which would kind of make for a bad ending to the show. If they followed a multi-car team though, that would be less likely. Discovery has European operations they could share production expenses on, or they could team up with another European network that would be interested in it. I just came across this as well http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/2012/12/13/discovery-channe...

Discovery is buying an interest in Eurosport which is the European equivalent to ESPN. Such a show would be good fit there as they have some of the best Dakar coverage already.

Of course, maybe we are the only people that really care about it enough to be interested.

SELL IT TO THEM!! This would be awesome. Even if they did it for the Baja Races too

I think that's where a project like that would have to start, at Baja..... Dakar, as much as it would be awesome, is a MASSIVE project for a film crew to try and follow.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service