Just a heads up the team is testing at VIR this week. Kimi Raikkonen will test on Tuesday while Robby Gordon is out west on business.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More great pub for RGM & PLANETROBBY

http://www.crash.net/nascar/news/169527/1/raikkonen_tests_sprint_cu...

It's very hard to keep up with Kimi Raikkonen - not just on the track, but on the whole budding NASCAR career trajectory.

Despite earlier reports that Raikkonen is on the entry list of this weekend's Top Gear 300 Nationwide Series race, it's emerged that he has not yet actually committed to driving Joe Nemechek's #87 NEMCO Motorsports Toyota at Charlotte Motor Speedway after all.

Instead came news that Kimi's spent Tuesday at Virginia International Raceway, testing the Robby Gordon Motorsports #7 Sprint Cup car on the road course there.

"Kimi Raikkonen testing the #7 at VIR today while Robby Gordon is out west," reported the PlanetRobby Twitter feed from the team. "This is Raikkonens first ever laps in a cup car. And he gets to do it in a RGM road course car."

Asked by a fan for lap times, the succinct answer came back: "They will not be published."

The news of Raikkonen's Sprint Cup run comes after earlier speculation that Raikkonen might make the jump to NASCAR's top series next month on a road course - the Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California. VIR is often used as a testing ground for drivers to prepare for Sonoma.

Raikkonen restarted his hope that he might be able to "run some Cup races" last week, just before his Truck Series début at Charlotte last Friday, and making his début on a road course would obviously make sense for someone as experienced on F1 circuits as Raikkonen is. In a similar spirit, Penske Racing have just announced that they will be running Jacques Villeneuve in this year's Nationwide road course events at Road America and Montreal.

According to Todd Hirschfeld, who has been managing Raikkonen's foray into the US motorsport scene this month, today's Sprint Cup test opportunity worked out well for both parties as Robby Gordon himself was otherwise committed in Mexico City for a sponsor meeting. The team got a free, high-calibre test driver while Raikkonen got a chance to try out the Car of Tomorrow first hand.

Gordon is scheduled to be back in Virginia to run the #7 on Wednesday. He tweeted: "Testing at ViR tomorrow, Iceman in car today. Trying to give him some SPEED!"

Talking to ESPN, Hirschfeld also cast doubt on the earlier apparent confirmations that Raikkonen was to run in the Top Gear 300 at the weekend.

"I've seen the story," he said, "But he has not told me personally whether he'll do it or not." Just because Raikkonen's name was included on the entry list did not mean that the decision had been made, he continued. "There's a car and team ready to go, but Kimi himself has not yet committed.

"It's up to Kimi whether he stays tomorrow [for more Sprint Cup runs], heads back to Finland or stays to run the Nationwide race Saturday at Charlotte."

"He's taking this whole experience day by day," Hirschfeld told ESPN. "This is the truth: Kimi does what Kimi wants to do."
Looks like RGM and Robby are starting to get the respect they deserve. It's about time!
Being that the car took a beating, what happens Wednesday? backup car?
Nothing happens Wednesday. They bring the car back to shop & repair it.
Thanks Tog. Unfortunate news
respect isn't deserved...it's earned. When RGM is running top 20 and top 10 every week, the respect will follow
While RG's finishes may not be what everyone hopes for, the fact that he continues to run 3 different racing operations, draws in sponsers and has started an energy drink company etc. etc. is something I for one think deserves all of our respect. But that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

TOG loving the pink! very cool.
Exactly right. Well, almost. I count four, or maybe five: NASCAR (cup and nationwide, if you count them separatley); Dakar, Score, Loors.

But let's not quibble over details- Robby is the hardest working racer in the biz.
can I get a SPEED DEMON monster truck Hallelujah!
Ahh c'mon alan it's been a slow night and I haven't quibbled in ages, what'd ya say ;-)
Perhaps Kimi wanted to test the car's rallying capabilities
I don't know much about Kimi (besides seeing his racing stats & for what I read/see here) but he is starting to remind me of Christoph Pourcel (moto guys may back me up on this one)... Just saying

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service