SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Announces 2014 Race Schedule‏

Charlotte, N.C. (November 27, 2013) – Following the successful inaugural season of the SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks (SST), the 2014 SST schedule features 10 race venues, all within North America’s top-50 markets, including six venues within the top-15.

Several of the events will feature two rounds of competition, bringing the total number of rounds to 15 for the second season of the highly competitive and high-flying Super Trucks.

Among the cities SST will visit include Las Vegas, Toronto, San Diego, Los Angeles, Detroit, Indianapolis and Tampa/St. Petersburg, Fla. One additional city will be announced, which SST founder and president Robby Gordon, believes will be the headline event of the 2014 season. Specific dates will be announced in conjunction with promoters and other local partners. However, it can be stated the season will start in Las Vegas on March 7 and end at the same venue on Nov. 7.

For its second season, Gordon has focused the schedule around further-enhancing sponsor value by racing in front of large crowds and establishing an enhanced national television platform. The inaugural season’s schedule, which was highlighted by the amazing trucks and drivers racing in conjunction with several IndyCar Series races on iconic circuits, proved to be well-received by fans and competitors alike.

“Having an opportunity to showcase these trucks last season at places like the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach and the Honda Indy Toronto was tremendously successful,” Gordon said. “Since then the outreach from promoters asking us to bring the SST series to their venues has given us all a great sense of pride and proves to us that we have a series that is exactly what it was designed to be – the most unbelievable, jaw-dropping form of auto racing in the world.”

Other than the trucks launching more than 20 feet in the air covering distances more than 150 feet, what makes the SST program such a success is the fact that all the SST trucks are identically prepared and delivered to drivers in race-ready condition. Drivers do not have an advantage over others because they have a bigger budget or greater technology. Drivers are assigned SST crew members who make minor adjustments at a driver’s request. The rules are specific as to what changes are permitted on the trucks so that the technology in the trucks remains equal.

In 2013, Gordon came from behind to edge world-class off-road racer Rob McCachren by seven points to capture the season championship. NASCAR Truck Series race-winner Justin Lofton finished third. P.J. Jones won his first SST race at the season-ending event at Caesars Palace on the Las Vegas Strip, and finished fourth in season-ending points. Other race winners in the first SST season included Gordon (3 wins), McCachren (4), Lofton (3), Sheldon Creed (2) and Jerrett Brooks (1).

Over 14 rounds of competition, 27 world-class drivers took part in the series, including popular drivers Paul Tracy, Davey Hamilton, Kyle LeDuc, Arie Luyendyk Jr., Mike Jenkins and Ricky Johnson.

Influenced by the former Mickey Thompson Stadium Off-Road Racing Series, where driver’s such as Gordon, Casey Mears and six-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson got their start, Gordon created SST to capitalize on the public’s overwhelming interest in trucks and SUVs as well as the fact that the majority of automotive aftermarket parts are marketed for trucks.

2014 SPEED Energy Stadium Super Trucks Schedule

• March 7 Las Vegas, NV
  • March 29-30 St. Petersburg, FL
  • April 12-13 Long Beach, CA
  • May 23 Indianapolis, IN
  • May 31-June 1 Detroit, MI
  • June 7 Texas
  • July 19-20 Toronto, ON
  • Sept 19-20 Costa Mesa, CA
  • Sept 21 San Diego, CA
  • Nov 7 Las Vegas, NV

Keep up with all the latest news and new race dates of the SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks Series by liking the series on Facebook at http://facebook.com/StadiumSuperTrucks as well as following on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SSuperTrucks

Views: 2328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"One additional city will be announced, which SST founder and president Robby Gordon, believes will be the headline event of the 2014 season." Wonder where and when? I see L.A. isn't on the list this year or Phoenix. I'm guessing they are not the additional city. There will probably be a small change or too just like last year.

mexico city is my guess.

Already checking into Indy or Detroit but after last year and my scheduling snafus , I ain't making any promises . Where is the Indy event gonna be ? Dome ? Irl event ?

as much as i like this (Detroit, Toronto) They are both on Indy weekends and so it leads me to think its not going to involve stadiums or dirt :( It kinda blows, plenty of small stadiums that would fit SST, I think their are too many "Street Course's" especially for a series that molded it self after a dirt background

The positive fan feedback to the Toronto SST race has prompted other venues WANTING the SST races there. ( Nobody gives a fuck about Indy lights & Formula 3000, etc) So you have the infrastructure already in place, put on a good show and continue to build the series. The trucks will be racing, not sitting idle in the shop.

no doubt the racing is good, but from a fans prospective its not great, you only see maybe a corner or two, were in a stadium you see the who thing, What about Arena's? Like Copps Colosseum, Would they be too small? They do fit a small monster jam in there, and now Nitro Circus.

oh and i will no doubt be at the Toronto race and maybe Detroit!

If promoters are willing to foot the bill to put the SST races in those venues, then I see no reason why SST can't run.

It's a much more cost efficient way to run the series. This way they can be able to focus on other things other than setting up the venue. More time to improve the fan experience and more time to create the extra fun stuff. Can't wait to see what SST season 2 will bring. Happy Thanksgiving!

Its a great fan friendly event - you can't beat the excitement and value it offers!

LOL, well said, TOG

this is true, but that's standard for a road course of any kind.. while the indy cars may go fast, the SST caught everyone's attention last year in Toronto. Especially when you saw trucks level with the catch fence on the frontstretch.

Toronto was a blast, and it's building interest. I am thinking the exposure for a couple years will build enough interest to get the numbers needed for a stadium event.

that said, I think it would be awesome if SST held their event at the Toronto FC soccer stadium literally next door to the toronto indy track.. maybe not this year, but i imagine the cost is less than skydome.

and yeah TOG, toronto was alright, I suppose.. haha ;)

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service