Really looking forward to this year's Dakar. If I remember correctly, the two areas where the Hummer gave up performance last year to the eventual winners were overall straight line speed and the lack of 4WD.

Has anything changed either in the rules or in the configuration of the 2010 cars to try to close that gap?

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The air restrictor works essentially the same. air+fuel+tons of other factors=HP. Less air= less Power. The air restrictor works essentially the same as a Nascar restrictor plate. Except its not a plate, it looks like a funnel. To be exact last year's restrictor is 36.2mm and I believe this year is the same.

Here are the rules: http://www.dakar.com/2010/DAK/presentation/docs/concurrents/regleme...
Look at page 75. Robby is a SEEDED Driver.
I lied, Robby has an LS7 with 2 valves/cylinder and it is 7 liters. Im Not sure what he used last year, but this year I believe he is forced to use a 36.2mm restrictor.
Big D, I was thinking the same thing last year. Why couldnt team USA change the chassis set-ups for different stages provided if they ony knew what the terrain was like.
Anyone but me ever wonder what the Dakar Hummer would look like in Monster Assault livery? Seems like a good product & event placement.
Nope, you aren't the only one. Monster however, seems to stick with the OG Green for all their sponsorships. The only exception I've seen is Ken Block with his yellow M-Claws for team Subaru.
Last year RG had a mandated 32mm restrictor because he was seeded. This year he is still seeded but they allow a 37mm restrictor. RG says it's good for 2-3mph.

Just remember this. No problems = win.

By all historics he could finish every single stage in 6th-4th and clean house. Others will lead at times but in the end no less than 6th-4th on every stage takes the gold. Spanking your competitors by 3 or 4 minutes on 10 stages doesn't cover the average of 2 hours of downtime ALL racers will see over the event. So to eliminate the 2 hours of down time and finish 3-6 minutes behind a different stage winner over the 15 stages still wins by 30 minutes.

You must go for the win in every stage.... But you must also take your licks and not drop past 6th on any stage.

Better to be the hound than the hare in Dakar.
It's actually 271mm2 more (about 25.5% more volume) However, it's about the relation to the increased confidential amount of HP (really not very much) that yes does make more difference down on low end but when trying to go from say 125MPH to 128MPH you need much bigger HP numbers to go from 125 to 145mph. Were talking over a hundred HP to do that.

It is what it is and he’ll take whatever he can get.
I don't think the ability to have a top speed of 3 mph will make a big difference. It's the increased acceleration that will make the difference. It would be very interesting to see dyno numbers and compare the time it takes to get to the shift point and the increased powerband with the difference in restrictors. Essentially this will be the difference in torque-which is where the rule change will really help RG IMO. Your thoughts fly?
5 millimeters = 0.1968503937 inches
The area increases by 3.141R2
according to this link, hes had the 36.2 restrictor last year when the article was written. http://www.off-road.com/dirtsports/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=506890
I believe they made his resrictor smaller after the africa dakar when he was blowing by all the factory cars like they were parked on the wide open stages.

By sticking with 2 wheel drive he gets a longer wheel travel, the larger wheels/tires and the auto inflation system on the tires.

2wd get to compete at a significantly lower weight but i dont think the hummer gets even close.
That link is for 08, not 09. I couldn't find his 09 but as fly says it is 32mm

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service