Really looking forward to this year's Dakar. If I remember correctly, the two areas where the Hummer gave up performance last year to the eventual winners were overall straight line speed and the lack of 4WD.

Has anything changed either in the rules or in the configuration of the 2010 cars to try to close that gap?

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

all i have read was the throttle restrictor size was increased.
do you mean air intake?
Its not a throttle restrictor. His (and all other competitors) air intakes are limited to a certain diameter thus limiting the power.
Yes but Robby commented last year that he was giving up a ton in straight line speed in the sections where they could really open the car up. I wasn't sure if that was because his V8 was "over restricted" and he had less power or if he had the same power vs the VW's but they had less weight.
TheVW's had turbo and were able to force more air thru the restrictor, thereby getting more power. Would love to compare the dyno output of the VW vs the hummer to see at what RPM the turbo gives the VW an advantage. I think the ASO have changed the the rules to make a more level field, but I am sure it not for Robby's sake. ASO would bury themselves in the atacama desert if an American wins.
Go Lance!!!
Thanks for the info, I had forgotten about the turbos. Hopefully the rules leveled the power this year.
Because we all have TVs....HAHAHA
I don't think the hummers were lacking 4WD, I think that's something Robby will never change. I like it that way. 2WD has so many advantages over 4WD. I though the new thing this year was the fiberglass body panels were replaced by carbonfiber panels, which significantly makes the hummers lighter.
Nope, the hummer went all Carbon in dakar 09. I dont think 2WD has any advantage over 4WD except for less moving part and therefore less chances of breaking them. I also think Robby will never go 4 wheel drive, which will require serious re-engineering and testing. He rather spend the money he has on what works. Also, 4WD have ristrictions in dakar on things like width of the tire and automatic tire pressure control. So Robby has a advantage there.

Finally, I think it is all about the suspension. For the 1st 2 days atleast, he needs to run stiff shocks. Hummer weight transfer along with 650 horses in 2WD, in the twisty stuff you could be the best driver, you cant beat a 4WD. So we dont have a choice with the 2WD, but be have ample choice with the suspension. I havent heard anything about different suspension testing on the forum, but I hope Robby got that figure out.
Earlier this year, somebody said because the 2WD, Robby gets to carry less gas so the hummer is ligher. I don't know if it is true compared to the diesel ones, espeacially VWs. Any actual comparisons?
You are right, that crossed my mind, the HP is much lower. I heard the rally is going upto crazy elevation this year, turbos would really help but it also increases the chance of overheating. It will fun to see how the turbo vs normally aspirated battle plays out in high altitude open country.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service