The entry list is up and Robby Gordon is listed as start position seven. Now I started this discussion to just get some ideas and predictions before the race. I'll kick it off by noting that the race course is the same as last year. Considering this, the teams that ran the race last year are going to have an advantage. It's not like Robby has never ran there before and that he has no chance. I think he has a great chance and and I hope he does well (I mean if he does well, then I get to see him at Primm). I just thought that might be a little food for thought.

Views: 185

Replies to This Discussion

sorry 1st one
That photo brings back so many good and bad memories, and some I can't remember. Once from a Night at The Boom Boom Rommmm! And from going end over end at 60+.
We will know if RG has this in the bag by Mile 70.
Fly, I have to somewhat disagree with you. The first 70 miles are nothing but whoops and according to Andy McMillin, the Gordon trucks don't perform as good as the Geisers in the rough - I know he out performed them at Laughlin, but there was a ton of attrition there. I would say that Robby will have to just focus on not loosing too much time before the lake bed - after that it will be game on. BJ will be the one to beat, and if he has more than a couple of minutes on Robby at CK4 it will be all over. My $$$ is on Robby, but I don't think anyone will win this thing by more than a couple of minutes. There are at least six to ten trucks that are VERY capable of winning this race, and it would not surprise me if we see a fist full of them all within' ten minutes of each other at the finish line. This should be a great race.
I couldn't agree more. Robby's trucks run the V-drive setup with the engine behind the driver. With less weight up front, the front end tends to get pushed around a-bit. That's why 1 cars are not as fast in the whoops. Front engine trucks have good weight up front to counter the un-sprung weight of those 140-160lb 37-39" tires. Andy is the perfect guy to ask about that because he drove that Robby truck and had his own which I have rode in. BJ is going to be hard to keep up with in the whoops, but when the coarse comes into the less rough stuff, the better handling Robby truck will have a good advantage with its better handling. I would love to see either win, but with BJ's transmission issues at both Laughlin and Parker, my money is also on RG.
Just presenting the physics of it, that's all. Andy's RGM Truck got put on the back burner when their guy's got tired of the V-Drive setup breaking transmissions with a meager 670 hp Katech LS7. I agree Robby's stiff, quick rebounding, single shock per wheel front shock setup is tailored to his liking, and Andy told me himself that the setup was not what he liked. That is why he went to the double conventional shock setup. I know this is completely off the original subject, but it's all in the name of bullshitting.
I think the issues with proprietary parts have had the RGM trucks become less favorable with some teams. The RGM truck is VERY nice, but Gieser seems to be more customer service minded than RGM. I have never spun wrench on a RGM, but looking at it and a Gieser, I would much rather change a tranny in the dirt on the latter.
Sure the RGM truck is not for everyone. I think it is more of a purist approach at building a racecar. The mid engine design keeps the weight in the middle for better handling, and in the case of RG's current setup, RGM trucks are much more simple than other trucks. The truck has basically no dash, one spare tire, and 1 shock per wheel. Geiser trucks are very big and heavy and tailored more for "comfort". Basically when working on the two, like you say a geiser would be easier, but I think the RGM has more potential than the others. And just now thinking about this whole single shock per wheel thing, those shocks do tend to heat up quite a bit. If SF's first 70 miles are "all" whoops, those shocks are going to be hot. I've heard that he has melted some components in the shocks before so let's hope that problem has been resolved. Can't wait, only a few days away now.
I agree. If I were to have one built I would lean toward the RGM mid engined truck. I totally understand the logic behind two -vs- one shock, but RGM (and many class 1 buggies) have proven that one shock can work, and work fine. Unfortunately because of my geographical handicap I have not been a hands on part of the desert scene for several years. But my experience in off-road has always told me that less is more, and adding extra parts just for the sake of "experimenting" doesn't always work (IRS, 4WD TT's)
you said it all,. andy is not RG, the setup changes a lot just by changing the shocks or just one turn more or less on the valving, thats why they do much testing and tunning at every race,.
i have heard that roger norman and larry roesler already prerun the whole curse more than 15 times, how many laps you need to ran at sf to really know it well, , how much prerruning RG needs to beat this pussys,. not many i think, i did this race last year and it was a lot of fun, a shame we will not race this time, san felipe is a lot of fun to race,. i wanna cry.
I would love to see you stand right in front of Roger and Larry and call them that.
......then again, both of them have too much class to even respond. Roger is blessed with the $$$ to follow his racing hobby, and he has done a fantastic job surrounding himself with the best personnel in off-road. Larry has more 1000 wins than Robby. 15 times seems like much, but it wouldn't surprise me. Norman Motorsports includes several ex-Enduro team members.......need I say anymore?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service