Nascar Roundup (Radio segment)
During the spotlight on Jim Beam & Jack Daniels leaving, they played a interview with Robby Gordon

Robby how is your team looking for next season?
Robby - "We're okay for next season. We have alot of good things hapenning at RGM. Our offroad program is hoping to finish up with a Championship. We won Baja. We have alot of exciting things happenning with the Dakar Rally. Our Cup program is getting better, once we quit beating ourselves I think we'll suprise some people, We have Menards & Mapei coming back next season. We have Polaris coming onboard. We have a couple of opportunities for some of our sponsors on our offroad side to benefit with our Cup program. We have a couple of sponsors we're in discussions with that would be great to have join us. If Indy changes their start time, we have a sponsor ready to go for that deal, both Indy & Charlotte. I think Nascar is looking at ways to trim the costs more, which really benefits teams like ours. Jim Beam has been a great sponsor for us, we hate to see them leave and we have a relationship that will continue."

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you kidding me Gray? Doug being on top of the box would be the greatest thing since...well since Kirk was put up there. Kirk was the best thing to happen to RGM since Walter. When Walter was hired he was the best thing since....well you should be able to read my sarcasim by now.
OK so heres a serious question. If I got shirts made that said "I was Robby Gordon's Crew Chief", how many of you guys would buy 'em?
SOLD!
I would love to see RGM expand, but I do not feel it will ever happen unless RGM can have a technical alliance with another bigtime team. Gibbs or (Hate to say it) MWR. What company in their right mind would come in to start up a second car on a team that struggles weekly right now. Maybe a move to Dodge and an aliance with Penske makes sense now with Dodge down to 3 cars. Just my 2 cents, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Have a great Saturday!!
Unless RG has some deal in place with one of the powerhouse IRL IndyCar teams, I'm not really all that interested in seeing him at Indy. It borders on pointless. This isn't the IRL of 1995-2002 where anyone off the street could hop in and race. The big teams have too many resources, too much time invested with the engine/chassis combo and the level of driver talent in the series today is light years ahead of where it was then, even if it still is not what it should be.... Taking on the Penske and Ganassi's of the world at Indy is about as viable as taking out HMS at the Brickyard.

The saving grace is that the race still has trouble filling out a viable field.

If I could have RGM develop a relationship with anyone it would be Ganassi. A hookup for a car that can actually win the Indy500, the 24 Hours of Daytona and Cup races.
Robby has had relationships with Ganassi, Penske and Andretti. If Robby moves forward with Indy and has a sponsor ready to jump on borad as already mentioned, I don't see any reason why he couldn't get resources and support from any of those teams. Besides Robby would not go to Indy to Start and Park. For him it is like running in anything other than the Cup series, you race to win. Points are meaningless.

"You play to win the game" - Herman Edwards
He has a history with Jack Roush too. So I guess he'll be getting resources in Cup from him.

Paul Tracy has a history with Penske, it's doing wonders for PT right now.
Just to put this back up there for the people here that apparently don't actually watch or follow any actual racing.

OpenWheel racing is historically a young mans game.

In 17 IRL IndyCar races in 2009 only six drivers won races. Five of them driving for Penske or Ganassi. Those two teams won all but one pole and all but one race.

Anyone that thinks a one off independent team has any better shot at Indy than they do at NASCAR Cup is simply not paying attention. Even if RG has some hook up with Newman-Haas/Lanigan or Andretti-Green, they're still not able to routinely compete with Penske and Ganassi.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service