NASCAR announced Friday a revision to the 2009 Budweiser Shootout format that provides each manufacturer with a "wild card" entry, increasing the size of the field from 24 to 28 cars, highlighting the manufacturers' involvement in NASCAR, and featuring more drivers for fans to support.

The 31st annual season-opening event at Daytona International Speedway will be held on Saturday night, Feb. 7. As was announced last August, the lineup will consist of the top six teams from each manufacturer, based on the final 2008 car owner points. Eligibility is based on owners competing in this event with the same manufacturer as 2008. The new wrinkle calls for each manufacturer to be able to enter a seventh car, or "wild card" entry, based on the following criteria:

• Any owner outside of the top six in year end 2008 owner points whose driver is a past Cup Series champion that attempted to qualify for all 36 of the 2008 events (only one position will be filled per manufacturer and will be based on the most recent past champion per manufacturer).

• If an owner/manufacturer does not have a past champion driver, the next highest eligible owner outside the top six in year end 2008 owner points from each manufacturer will be eligible to compete in the event.

As previously announced, the race distance will be increased from 70 laps to 75 (187.5 miles) on the 2.5-mile tri-oval. The race will have two segments of 25 and 50 laps. Both green- and yellow-flag laps will count.

Between segments, there will be a 10-minute pit stop at which time teams will pit and may elect to change tires, add fuel and make normal chassis adjustments. Crews will be permitted to work on cars and will be allowed to perform functions they would do on a normal pit stop in a regular Cup event. All work must be performed on pit road or in the garage. Changing of springs, shock absorbers or rear-ends will not be permitted.

Starting positions will again be determined by a blind draw, at the annual Budweiser Shootout Draw Party on Thursday night, Feb. 5, on the SPEED stage outside Turn 4.

The Budweiser Shootout -- a non-points event for Cup Series competitors -- was first held in 1979, and originally known as the Busch Clash. Dale Earnhardt Jr. won last year's event.

The lineup
The following is a list of cars eligible for the 2009 Budweiser Shootout. The list is based on 2008 owner points and specifies 2008 team affiliations. Since some of these car numbers may be inactive in 2009, the actual starting field may include cars ranked lower than those in this list. NASCAR also may allow the transfer of owner points from inactive cars on this list to cars not otherwise eligible for the Shootout.

That would me the lineups

Ford- Edwards, Kenseth, Biffle, Ragan, McMurray, Kvapil, Bobby Labonte

Chevy-Johnson, Gordon, Earnhardt, Harvick, Mears, Burton, Tony Stewart

Dodge- Kahne, Sadler, Sorenson, Busch, Stremme, Allmendinger, and now Sam Hornish

Toyota-Hamlin, Logano, Busch, Reutimann, Waltrip, Vickers, and the 22 but the 22 won't run w/o sponsorship so Robby should be next in line.

Am I correct?

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Robby cant race a Toyota I don't think its a good idea to be part of the race. Like others have said, Toyota wouldn't be happy with him driving a Dodge and He really can't afford to start the season on a bad note with his new manufacturer. He's going to need them to be right behind him all the way this year and upsetting them over the Bud shootout seems crazy.
I agree. But why not run a toyota? That's stupid.
no parker
Heres a better question. Will he have three cars at Daytona? I ask because typically the teams run their backups in the Shootout. If Robby runs the shootout, the car will be a Dodge. If he wads up his primary in the 125s (remember 2007), what then? Its too much work to convert the car at the track in two days. The motor mounds need to be switched, the plumming needs to be redone, and the front and rear tail sections of the body need to be cut off and replaced.

SO is it really cost effective to send two haulers down to Daytona so he can bring two "Toyotas" and a "Dodge'? Quotes are used because these are hardly Toyotas or Dodges. Here is an idea, bring the Dodge on a seperate hauler with a Nationwide car and run the Nationwide race on Saturday. That just makes too much sense, haha.
They will trailer a dodge down. And allow another Toy in the field. ;)
Exactly, no one on here know's, except Fly and TOG'er, were all just flapping the soup cooler's, me included- How does anybody know that Toyota wouldn't like it, What do you think there gonna talk about when that camera hit's the #7 car, beside's the Dakar? exactly, driving for Toyota next year, last time in a Dodge, and bla,bla- it's a win, win
I know nothing !
Water's calm, dead a the night, then Boom! we know how you do, and in one sentence or less usually- don't know how you do it TOG, but I like's it
It will give him twice the practice time, but if he is running a Dodge in the Shootout and Toyota in the 500 and what you believe is true ("but I have to believe that the 2 1/2 mile Super Speedways are the two tracks that the different manufacture noses/tails actually have an impact on aero"), all that practice and racing in a Dodge will not help with setting up the Toyota for the 500.
Toyota

Driver How he gets in ...

This is per NASCAR.com. Looks like he will be driving a Toyota in the shootout. Am I looking at this right?

Denny Hamlin Finished eighth in owner points; first Toyota car
Joey Logano Replacing Tony Stewart as driver; second Toyota car
Kyle Busch Finished 10th in owner points; third Toyota car
Brian Vickers Finished 20th in owner points; fourth Toyota car
David Reutimann Finished 26th in owner points; fifth Toyota car; points moved to No. 00
Michael Waltrip Finished 29th in owner points; sixth Toyota car
Robby Gordon Wild card: Finished 34th in owner points; moving to Toyota in 2009
I believe this all depends on the #22, if they run they would be the Toyota wild card, leaving Robby out. I think this was atated in the original post??
There's no WAY Toyota's going to let RG race a Dodge for one race, if Jayski reported that then he's as stupid as his name.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service