Robby Gordon unlikely to run NASCAR in 2013 - UPDATE "Never rule anything out" 12/21/12

Not a big surprise to some of us...

Robby Gordon, who raced his way into the Daytona 500 last year as part of a light NASCAR schedule, is not scheduled to do any NASCAR racing in 2013. Spokesperson Alison McCabe said she doesn't think Gordon will participate in NASCAR due to his involvement in his new racing project, Robby Gordon's Stadium Super Trucks series. The 12-race off-road stadium series will debut April 6 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. The Stadium Super Trucks series will be televised by NBC and the NBC Sports Network. Sponsorship woes with his self-owned team led to him racing only three times in 2012: the season-opener at Daytona, race No. 2 at Phoenix and the road-course race at Sonoma. He failed to qualify for early-season races at Las Vegas and Fontana. (12/19/12)

UPDATE: "With Robby's attention towards the 2013 Dakar Rally and the inaugural season of Robby Gordon OFF-ROAD's Stadium SUPER Truck Series (SST), there has been a lot of speculation regarding his future NASCAR plans. We are all focused on providing an exciting kick-off to the 2013 SST season at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ on April 6th. At the same time, we would never rule out the possibility of running selected NASCAR events."(RGM/Spokesperson Alison McCabe)(12-21-2012)

Views: 5897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robby just needs to hook up with the Wood Brothers, put a little Speed Logo on the side of the car along with whatever sponsor they can provide and run 6 races and win 6 races...

Some will say this is crazy but if he were to drive for free plus given 1 of the 6 races where Speed would be the primary sponsor...well maybe I am dreaming but this would be an awsome matchup for Robby...

The 6 races would be the 4 restrictor plates and the 2 Martinsville nahh just kidding roadcourses....

I agree; Robby just needs some Dodge money.a Penske motor and a decent Dodge car to attempt Daytona with Dodge on the hood and Stadium super trucks on the quater panels and some Speed Energy logos to go along with it. No bigger stage to promote the super truck series and keep his name in Nascar. If theres one thing I know Robbys one hell of a plate racer as well as one of the best road racers out there, GAS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought dodge was out of NASCAR next year. Gas-on if Robby can make it work!!!! Daytona baby!

Yeah Dodge is out of the cup series. Can't run the 2012 car.

Out of Cup, but good for NNS per Dodge

Robby has a cup team.

I get that, I was just making conversation ...

I know. Trying to keep it real that's all.
NNS's purses don't pay enough to bother.
Robby doesn't have NNS engines,he has CUP engines.No they cannot be made into NNS engines

Back in theold days they would run a body style for 3 years, back in the 70's when Dodge left last time they ran 73 Dodges for 3 years. Don't know if that still applies but if it did those unused Penske motors are no good to anyone unless they were running a Dodge.

I believe there is a similar rule still on the books, at least for the truck and Nationwide series. If you look at entry lists from those two series, they still list a year next to the manufacturer. There were still people entering a "10 Ford" this season. My guess is that it only applies if the year model is within the same generation of body and chassis. For example, you couldn't enter a 2010 pre-COT car in a Nationwide race this season.

Not sure on the Cup series though. Brian Keselowski tweeted back in November that it was still legal to run a Dodge in 2013 as an independent with no factory backing, but he has since indicated that he's running Ford if he tries Daytona. Originally he said he had access to the Dodge P6 engines for 2013, but that he had to get the body approved. I think the process of getting the body style approved without any manufacturer backing would be way too expensive so he moved on to a different plan.

The entry list year IIRC is the year that particular chassis was built.

The thing with Dodge isn't getting the body approved (it already is) it's getting the stamped/molded pieces made.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service