From www.speedenergy.com

“We are very disappointed that both of our cars failed to finish the 2011 Dakar Rally. Our team was better prepared than ever, so two DNF's makes this hurt a lot. We will start preparing for the 2012 Dakar as soon as we return from the rally and try our best to compete with VW next year. I definitely felt that I could have matched their speed in Chile, but we do have our work cut out for us improving the race cars for the Argentina stages,” commented Robby Gordon.

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting...reading so far some have a clue and others thinking you can compete with a stock factory ride and change a few things. After viewing all of the stages going from WRC in the rain and behind 10-15 min after just 2 stages. Now trying to play catch-up waiting for the sand to so "WE" can compete now were almost an 1 hr. down, ya, had a few mach. problems then the wheel bering. Some things just happen that's racing no one know's more than RG. Now fast foward to the final stages 7 thru 12 just look at the course even the VW's were struggling in the sand and the small dunes even Carlos got stuck. Add the rain and mud on the flat plains......it is hard to even think how a 2WD could compete. The only 2WD finished in 10th. KAHLE in a buggy with a desiel.

TOG....RG quote "my idea and turning it into somthing real" OK but to be realistic RG has to change-up how he can compete, ya he is close but not close enough. This forum reminds me of the boat guys V-drive against outdrive..it depends on the game. DAKAR in a 4wd game like it or not. I would like nothing better than RG to prove everyone wrong with HIS WAY but just like any game you have to take advantage of the rules and players.

What would be the best is RG beating VW at there own game come on American inginuity (GM & RG) we can beat these Germans we did it once we can do it again.

Just an old racers opinion.

Maybe RG already has something up his sleeves for the future rallies & this years Rally was he ran what he already had in place.Just sayin.

GTX - You are right.... and wrong.  Anyone thinking a "stock", or "modified stock" vehicle can compete is nuts.  Look at the final results... they aren't hours behind, they are DAYS behind.  Look at the performance of the actual Hummer entered.  Pathetic.  RG's vehicle is a buggy with SUV carbon fiber shell and a Hummer logo.  My wife's Ford Escape is closer to being a Hummer than Robby's vehicle.

2 wd can't compete?  Maybe you should ask Schlesser about that.  RG is doing it right, giving himself the best chance to win.  Is he an underdog? Yes.  Does he need more money/backing? Yes.  Is he underpowered? Yes. (Hope and lobby for bigger restrictor plate next year).  Does he need to eliminate crew mistakes, navigator mistakes, and driver mistakes?  Yes.  Is he going to need a little luck?  Yes.  Should he name a driver (or 2) now, and get miles this year on the crew, driver, and Hummer?  Yes. 

All this takes money/backing.  Will he go 4wd next year?  I don't know, I hope not.  The only way to compete on an equal footing with a $100 million operation (or 50, or whatever it is) is to spend, well... $100 million ( or 50, or whatever it is).  That's why BMW and Mitsubishi bailed.  I'm afraid it's a VW show until they decide it isn't.  They can be beaten, but it will take an almost flawless performance and a little luck.

Gas on.

i would go race ready state of the art awd jeep grand cherokee with a viper race ready eng and  RG behind the wheel all theyr going to see is dust.end of discusion.

I have no response.

Put RG in a VW or BMW and see the results.......top 3 for sure, yes we all know $$$ are the answer and it buys results. I think of RG as an underdog with a huge desire to win. Right now I am sure he is pissed about the results of this year. RG has that burning desire to prove everyone wrong. I would like to see GM get invloved with RG and partner to develop the type of car that could be competitive to get a top 3 or best of all a win for the US. 

Aldridge....... you have to get over the 2wd it's like taking a knife to a gun fight. Just watch all the days stages and tell me that a 2wd could keep up......honestly.

It reminds me of back in 1971 when everyone was trying to compete with the Vel's Ford Bronco entry in the 500/1000.....V-8 and a helicopter against a Class 1 car w/2180 type 1 motor.

I rest my case..........I was there and watched PJ and Bill S. kick everyones behind. They changed the game back then to what BAJA is today.

Old guys view...........

oh oh...its not the question about 2 or 4wd.....robby is the best in 2wd thats not the question....back to teh roots.....

the 2 questions are: What kind of area do i have? and what for a kind of vhicle do i need?

now in 2009 and 2010 the dakar is rally where you need more 4wd and shorter cars...its not only metal to the pedal...the dakars areal is changing....dont forget this. in 2008 it was a perfect 2wd rally with many high speed parts...but now its a little bit more the area of 4wd cars......i think robby will do his best and knows that.....

his car shorter and with 4wd = Wrangler unlimited with hemi power....nothing burns more than robby with jeep...two real american gladiators!

The Hummer is a Baja based race truck it competes WELL with other Baja racers. Dakar is a rally where rally cars WIN. Trophy Truck types are heavy and carry the weight higher, this type of chassis works best in a rough desert race. Now that the Hummer contract is up..........Its a whole new game. Im sure what ever is brought to the line will give the kraut scooters a run.

From his past record I believe Robby needs to get an Aprilla ride and leave the cars to VW. I'm sure this won't be a popular post but think of all the  $$$ he could save by just tearing up bikes.
LMAO, that's good stuff.With age comes a cage! Robby left competitive two wheels racing 25? years ago!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service