Bob Pockrass spoke to Robby for about 30 minutes after qualifying on Friday at Dover.

Here is the link to the story below

DOVER, Del. – Robby Gordon lost one of his bigger sponsors this week, but the driver/owner has several sponsors that should help him handle the departure of Jim Beam.

Gordon said Jim Beam was the primary sponsor for 12 races this year and a to-be-announced sponsor has committed for four of those, leaving him eight to replace from that sponsorship next year.

Menards and Mapei are returning, and Gordon said he has a good opportunity for other sponsors such as Polaris, Monster and Camping World to return.

“The nice thing about our program is one sponsor does not dictate the whole swing of things,” Gordon said Friday at Dover International Speedway. “I don’t know if that’s by design or just by luck over the years. When Harrah’s went away a couple of years ago, they were an equal partner of Beam and we continued for three more years.

“Obviously we’ve got to find new partners. Jim Beam has been a great sponsor for five years, and I appreciate what they’ve done. That said, it is what it is. This is what we do – we race cars.”

Gordon said he can generate a lot of exposure through his various racing avenues, which includes offroad racing. He said he is still not interested in merging with another team.

“We’re five years down the road headed in one direction,” said Gordon, who drove for car owners Felix Sabates and Richard Childress before starting his own NASCAR team in 2004. “And that’s obviously the best thing for our company. We mix other things as well. My shop just doesn’t work on stock cars. The machine shop works on off-road parts. Those two programs work hand-in-hand and they both need each other.”

One thing that could help Gordon is if the Indianapolis 500 starts earlier next year, allowing a driver to do both that race and the Sprint Cup Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.

“I have a sponsor that I talked to today that said they would take Indy and Charlotte at the right dollars today,” said Gordon, who has extensive experience in open-wheel cars. “They’ve already told me that. If Indy changes, I think you can count me in it - with a new sponsor, a different sponsor that’s not on my car today.”

There also might be another opportunity for sponsorship if Toyota gives the team some engineering help and engine stuff, but Dodge has lost a three-car team in Richard Petty Motorsports.

Gordon drove a Dodge without a contract with the manufacturer in 2008.

“We do have a relationship there, and that’s all I can say on that matter,” said Gordon, who is 33rd in points. “I think our cars, we run good at times. What we have to do is the ‘at times’ part, we have to figure out how to make them run all the time better.”

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like he's in a good frame of mind.
Great article. It would really be cool if they could run the Indy/Charlotte double and sounds like they already have the sponsor lined up so that they can. Now if only the schedule changes are made. Jim Beam will be missed, but it sounds like RGM is going to be fine.
Would he seriously consider switching back to Dodge next year? Having driven the 'manufacture's cycle' already, shouldn't he go back to the top of the order and a drive a Chevy again before the others?
The way I read that was that he won't discount moving to Dodge out of hand. Like if they make him a good enough offer, then he'd be willing to switch. This is businessman-Robby talking. Tell Dodge he'd go if..., and let Toyota know they could sweeten the pot to keep him on.
Robby would gain a lot from being a factory supported team. If dodge can offer technical support and maybe drum up enough sponorship to run a 2nd car, it's hard to see the move not making sense.
Any relationship with Dodge would be short lived. They're in worse shape than when they left the series last time. The only one of the big 3 not to bounce back after reorganization. The only thing they got to keep with the Fiat deal was their name. Not even getting support from them until next year!

While Dodge may want to make the pot sweet right now, it will sour real soon. I'm kinda surprised they're still with Penske next year. Really thought this would be their last year. It would be a bad move at any price.
god, I hope he doesn't end up in a Dodge next year unless it is with support from Penske somehow. This shit of switching manufacturers each year is just dumb, might be smart on the money side but to me, it's worthless if you want to learn this damn cot! No way Robby can go back on his notes from the Dodge and try and run competitive from those since he didn't exactly blow everybody away in that car. I would think you would have to start all over and I think that is Robby's problem in switching all the time. Robby needs to stick with Toyota I would think at least another year since he has the notes from this year to help with next and maybe they can finally improve their year! Plus the new crew chief will have to learn the car too and if it is Doug that takes over, seems like he would know how this Toyota cot better than a Dodge. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like dodges, I'd rather see him back in a Ford if anything.

I do hope that Indy changes the time, I'd really like to see Robby do the double again! I wish there was a petition or something you do as fans to show that people want the time pushed back so people can do the double again!
Love Reading This , Would Love To See The Double Happen !
positive attitude sounds optimistic ....race times are set by networks and even if the irl canged start time Robby could or would miss a cup race or two in the weeks leading up. Andretti missed two i think this year.
If he went to Dodge and shared info with Penske, wouldn't it be great for him to drive a Penske car at Indy? Roger knows how to find victory lane at Indy. When Penske goes to Saturns, Robby could be the only game in town for Dodge. Or he could be a Saturn driver.
I dont see Robby driving for Roger at Indy. From a business standpoint, I could see RGM arranging something with the Dodge camp. Dodge is really hurting for exposure among other things, and RGM could possibly benefit well from this. I would rather see him stay where he is with Toy, but Im not in his shoes, and business is business. Ya never know!!! "And now back to our regularly scheduled program, Silly Season in NASCAR starring Robby Gordon."
i like the fact he is talking about indy again

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service