SPEED Energy Racing Transcript:

Robby Gordon talks about entering the 2013 Dakar Rally after one of his competitors makes a comment about him and his HUMMER

PETERHANSEL COMMENTING ON ROBBY GORDON ENTERING THE 2013 DAKAR RALLY:

“This is a cheater born, we are here to compete, not for show race, and this is not the circus, even if it pleased the audience.”
“We must fight on equal terms, Robby Gordon must comply with the rules. If this is the case, it is welcome. Otherwise. Not!”

PETERHANSEL IS NOT ONLY CALLING YOU A CHEATER BUT CALLING YOU A SHOWMAN RATHER THAN A RACER, HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THAT?

RG: I take that personal, the fact he is calling me a cheater or my team a cheater. We explained our system last year to A.S.O. at initial technical inspection and we did not change anything from that day of initial tech on our car until the day they saw our car, saying it wasn't legal. With all that said what Peterhansel needs to understand is this is the entertainment business and it is not just about racecars. If it was just about racecars we would all be driving diesel powered Mini’s and they would sound like a bunch of sewing machines.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT HIM TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING ON EQUAL TERMS?

RG: We are really excited to go to the Dakar, last year A.S.O. can say we were disqualified, but to be honest with you at the end of the day we finished 5th and it wasn’t worth fighting with them. So we'll accept whatever we have to accept, but in regards to Peterhansel and playing fair and square, we played by the rules A.S.O. told us we could play by last year and they came and inspected our cars for 2013 and we are ready for the challenge. Last year if you take out the stages I had to tow Al-Attiyah around we would have been easily ahead of Peterhansel at that point. This year our car is even better fine tuned, we’ve had more time to work on it. Even with the inflation disconnected last year, I want to remind Peterhansel that we beat him 10-15 minutes a day when we wanted to go. So he's going to have to tighten his seat belts and we are ready for the battle. There is STILL nothing Monster, about his Mini!

Views: 19285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No doubt a driving talent, which makes his comment about Robby even more significant. A man with that resume is afraid of Robby, as he should be, with RG's many championships and wins both on and off the tarmac.

There hasn't been a good feud in the car class in years. It's great PR for the rally.

As much as I love to hate Mr. Peterhansel, he is an amazing athlete and racer. I wish I had a fraction of his racing talent. I love RG, and support his 'in your face' style...but for the Europeans, they just CAN'T STAND that type of showmanship. TOO BAD FOR THEM!!

Drive hard and smart RG! Sometimes you have to lift the gas...and then you drop it hard when you can! Sometimes slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

i'm european ( lived a dozen years on the new continent ) .... i will be behind the show man ... all the way .
what i would love to see ... and it will happen ... is robby honking behind the #302 and push him out of the way .

Absolutely! That would make great 'reality TV!'

I see Mr. Parson's stopped by. @WJM 100% agree, this is great PR for everybody and Dakar.....

Peter is a great driver, and the mini's are well-developed cars...for what they are that is. Clearly Peter has a chance to win in his category, and a good chance at winning overall as well.

However, the 2WD Gordon configuration clearly showed itself to be fast last year, and I think it's the idea that cars *not* from his category might take the top spot this time is what has him in a tizzy. And the idea that a "showman" like Gordon just might be the one to do it would simply add insult to injury.

In the past the Dakar podium has always been a factory showplace, and if indeed the buggies of Gordon, Nasser or others outperform the Mini configuration, I suspect Peter (and perhaps ASO?) will have more than Robby to be pissy about.

Looks like Bernie Ecclestone (F1 owner/boss/Supreme-Leader) of all people agrees with Robby Gordon here. When talking about the state of F1 in an article posted today he said;

We have to understand that we are in the entertainment business and this year we have entertained.

All sports today are show business and it gets dangerous for a sport if people start to forget that.

I'm European and I would love nothing more than for Robby to beat the pansy Frenchies. Beat them at their own game. Stéphan is a force to be reckon with, his scores reflect that.
But if Robby gets his preparations right and keeps his head cool like he did in the beginning of last years race he has a real chance to win.
A real chance to win also relies on the second Hummer. Having a quick support truck is essential for them to win. That and dose of luck doesn't heard.

I'll fire first, poor "Peter Piper", "Peter Pan", "Peter Pencil Popper"

Why do some of these Europeans always bitch. Put them in a real desert race, not some "rallye race" and they probably wouldn't last 20 miles. You need to kick their whimpy asses and send them home crying

what do you mean by "real desert race" ?
is there any more real desert race !?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service