MWR is expected to announce at Texas that David Reutiman will NOT return to the #00 in 2012, instead the #00 will run a partial schedule with driver Mark Martin. Aaron's is expected to also fill the space of Clint Bowyer's schedule.

From CBS Sports:
Mark Martin in the Michael Waltrip Racing stable for a partial schedule next year. #56-Martin Truex Jr. will return to drive MWR's NAPA Toyota with newcomer Clint Bowyer coming on board in a partner Toyota entry carrying 5-Hour Energy sponsorship for the bulk of the campaign. Sponsorship for the #00 entry driven by David Reutimann will not be in place for the entire 2012 schedule opening the door for Martin to take over and compete on a partial basis. Michael Waltrip Racing has an announcement planned Friday at Texas Motor Speedway where it is expected the team's firm 2012 plans will be unveiled.

From Jim Utter Twitter Account
Hearing David Reutimann will NOT return to Michael Waltrip Racing next season and the No. 00 may run a partial schedule

One more thing...Mark Martin may have a deal done for a partial schedule in 2012.

IMO- This had more to do with upgrading their driver lineup. Getting Clint Bowyer and full funded equipment along with Mark Martin to add veteran experience.

Views: 1594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How do you figure Mark Martin is a Ford guy? He has not been in a Ford since 2006.

The rumor with Mark in a SHR car was just that a rumor. The ideal situation was for Mark to go to SHR, but addition sponsorship was needed and or Mark was needing to bring money with him as Go Daddy has committed to sponsoring both Danica's NW and Cup races for 2012 and that was it.
Mark owns a Ford dealership
Mark also owns a Chevrolet and Kia dealership.
the Ford store was his first.I believe.Ford made the deal happen.
Also Go Daddy agreed to sponsor an Andretti Autosports Indycar team for two years in exchange for Danica's 2012 contract option. Dan Wheldon was suppose to be the driver.
I guess MM coming without sponsorship dollars is a testament to what his experience is worth. His driving, I think, has been a little suspect lately.

I'm afraid the musical chairs game for drivers is going to leave several left standing.
Wow, this is extremely unexpected.

I feel terrible for Reutimann. He is a very nice man and one of the few drivers (along with RG) to do appearances frequently. I also believe his 2 wins are MWR's only wins. I have to believe they would have released Truex had he not been under contract for a couple more years, though.
July 2010 Reutimann and MWR signed a two year extension putting him under contract with MWR through the 2012 season, and with Aarons on the car for 30 races each year.

Here was the MWR / Aaron Press Release;
Michael Waltrip Racing announced that it has signed agreements extending its relationships with driver David Reutimann and primary sponsor Aaron's, Inc. on the #00 Aaron's Dream Machine Toyota through the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup season. "I'm glad both Michael Waltrip Racing and Aaron's want to keep me around," joked Reutimann. "I've been asked about my contract for the last month and we've had a handshake agreement, but now it's done and I'm glad I can finally talk about it. I'm thrilled. This is where I want to be - at Michael Waltrip Racing driving the No. 00 with Aaron's on the hood." Aaron's will increase its primary sponsorship of Reutimann's #00 from 24 to 30 races in 2010 with TUMS and Best Western completing the schedule. Aaron's will remain at 30 races in 2011 and 2012 and assume associate sponsorship position with all MWR Toyotas.(Aarons PR)(7-23-2010)
Hmmm.... there's definitely something fishy about this ordeal.
Okay, where's that leave Mark Martin?

I also heard that Cher was going to be his crew chief.
Reutimann may be a nice guy but he sucks, the whole team sucks.

And why get Mark Martin? he's not a past champion and he's too old, go away Mark.
MWR did upgrade with Clint Bowyer. RCR's Childress told Bowyer he couldn't give him what he wanted with just 5-Hours money, he openned the books and showed him. It looks like MWR decided to take the money from David's car and add it to 5-Hour's money to make the deal work. Purely business. Bad deal for Reutimann though.

RCR will need somone to drive the #33 in a few races, I expect Childress to look at Elliott Sadler, Brain Vickers or Reutimann for those races. Roush will run the #6 some too, but will have Ragan, Bayne or Ricky for those races.

Like Vickers, Reutimann needs a sponsor to go with him to get a ride. Bowyer had 5-Hour, just like Paul had Menards last year.

SHR still needs someone to share the ride with Danica, Tony could sell Reuitmann or Vickers to a potential sponsor if Mark Martin is off the board. (This should end rumors of Mark Martin with SHR. Martin has stated he only wants to race a partial schedule next year and the Trucks for Kyle Busch).

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service