Official Statement From Robby Gordon , Baja 500 Penalty

Robby Gordon’s Response to SCORE’s Alleged Accusations

Charlotte, NC (June 12, 2009) – We are deeply disappointed with SCORE’s decision and reject their claims in the strongest possible terms. We plan an immediate appeal of this unjust decision.
First, SCORE assessed a speeding penalty because it claimed that there was no IRC data between kilometer 77 and kilometer 78. The IRC device on our vehicle worked properly during all other sections of the race course, and Steve Myers from IRC has no explanation why no IRC data exists from that section alone. Our race team has footage of the entire race, and the video below proves that we were not speeding during the section in question (see the link below). Further, the No. 77 Trophy Truck has a speed control device connected to the engine management system that does not allow it to exceed 60 MPH. Please view the link to the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HG8Wwk9PQ. This video shows that it took the No. 77 TT longer than 72 seconds to travel the 1.2 miles of highway between km 77 and 78, which is less than a 60MPH average allowed by the rule. Please note that you can hear the pit speed control set at 59MPH.
The pit violations claims are equally invalid. Our team’s stationary pit was in compliance with SCORE International’s 2006-2010 Off-Road Racing Rules & Regulations Book (“SCORE Rule Book”). Rule GPT8 states: “All pits must be at least fifty feet (50’) off the edge of the race course. No pit may be in the first fifty feet (50’) leading into and the first one hundred feet (100’) leading out of any turn.” The location of our stationary pit near mile marker 290 (which included our chase vehicle, pit equipment, and pit personnel) was at least fifty feet (50’) off the edge of the race course and not located in the first one hundred feet (100’) leading out of any turn, in conformity with this rule. As to the other pit-related violations claim, Rule GPT9 states, “All pit services must be done while the race vehicle is at a complete stop. Vehicle may not be serviced while in motion, either under its own power, while being towed, and/or on a trailer. Pit services are to include fueling, tire changes, and/or any other services performed on the race vehicle.” Our vehicle was at a complete stop when fuel was provided to the race vehicle on Highway 1 near San Vincente, again in conformity with this rule.

Furthermore, it should be noted that no rule exists in the SCORE Rule Book that limits pit services to stationary pit locations. Pit services are routinely made outside stationary pits along the race course by drivers and crew members, including, but not limited to, fueling, tire changes, and repair services on the race vehicle. The bottom line is this: our team did not violate any rule in the SCORE Rule Book; therefore, we should not be penalized at all by SCORE for either of these alleged pit violations.

Also, under Rule GP3(9)all competitors who have a course deviation penalty are automatically disqualified. Disqualification is the minimum penalty allowed for a course deviation pursuant to GP3. These results will have to be modified as well.
My win at Baja was made possible by the hard work of my team and the support of my fans and sponsors. I want to assure all of these people that I will do whatever it takes to rebut these charges, clear my name and have my first place finish restored.

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed but, whats the difference if anyone gets a flat on the course and cant move thus now "pitting" on the course to fix the flat? We have all seen chase teams arrive on scene to "pit," a vehicle which was on course...We've all done it! I hope it all works out.
Where is the evidence found ? It sounds like Robby can successfully blow their accusations out of the water. I hope they get faced big time. Robby and all his sponsors and fans should go on the offensive and force SCORE to have verifiable evidence for all to clearly see before they pop off and yank titles. What a bad joke.
I might have overlooked it, but have score TOOK his first place yet??
No, but they have TAKEN it ;P
Is SCORE the only sport that looks to You Tube, and Fan video to asses penalties? I wonder how many teams pay to locals to film the race to try and catch RG doing something that they call cheating, and that he calls finding the loopholes that they didnt take the time to look for....Did this happen before at San Felipe, where video claimed to show RG cheating when iin fact it was thrown out because what he did was legal and took a lot of balls to do it....
I can think of an incident last year (or 2 years ago??) when they used fan video and youtube in F1 to look into something Lewis Hamilton did. I think it was the Chinese GP and it was raining. Don't remember what the incident was.
If anyone can beat this it's Robby. That guy has had more success in court when I thought he was toast than anyone. Many racers who are not Robby fans have been making comments that the pit penalty was lame. Probably because they all know they have done the exact same thing many times and want to continue ot be able to in the future without worrying about getting dinged for it.
Say it like it is BJ. It totally makes sense when BJ says that to get out of Robby's dust and try to leap frog him, he need to change his line. With these new rules, it would be course dviations. Sal is suffering from disease as Bernie and Max. All of them are at helm of great sporting events but age and dementia is getting the better of them.

After the race and prior to the official results announcement, BJ Baldwin stated, "I took the exact same lines as I did in last year’s 500." In a follow-up conversation, BJ was very candid with his thoughts on the SCORE ruling. "I am not ashamed of my performance. I am not a cheater and nothing has changed in the way I drive and the course that I have taken in the past five years of racing the Baja 500. I think this decision to penalize 85% of the Unlimited Classes makes us all look like fools in the sport and makes SCORE International look bad. I have a professional team and we are professional racers and I believe SCORE has handled this issue in an unprofessional manner. The lines I took that were off the beaten path were not necessarily shorter or provided me an advantage. I was following Robby Gordon’s dust most of the day and took the necessary lines to try and pass him. How does an established trail with no wrong way markings become a deviation from the course? I also do not think that Robby Gordon should be penalized for his pitting violation. There were numerous pitting infractions by many of the other teams and unless you are going to penalize everyone equally then it is an unfair ruling. Regardless of the actions by SCORE, I would like to extend my congratulations to both Harley Letner for earning the overall and Rick D. Johnson for the trophy truck win!"

Further commenting on the results and the course deviation issue, BJ Baldwin remarked, "It scares me to think about tomorrow and the penalties the lower classes and motorcycles will be awarded. The celebration at the finish line by the racers and the crew has been replaced with going back to the hotel room, showering and waiting five days for results. How do we have awards ceremonies? Does Robby Gordon need to ship back his trophy? Why would enthusiasts (who cannot make it to the races) sit at home and track the dot on the screen when the results can change overnight?"
Very nice remarks.
Hummmm...... seems like the pile of poo which SCORE stepped in is quite large and stinky.
Thanks for posting BJ's remarks.
Good to read BJ's response. It's not only an insult to Robby but to 85% of the competitors. I wrote to Sal with my 2 cents but don't expect a response...
does robby still have the trophy? don't send it back, you deserve it!

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service