Robby Gordon Motorsports announced Doug Richert as the crew chief of the #7 Camry for the remainder of the 2009 season. Richert, a NASCAR veteran with more 25 years of experience and 15 Cup wins, will assume the crew chief responsibilities starting at Martinsville this weekend. "Doug brings experience and knowledge to our team, which I hope will help elevate our Cup performance. He has spotted for us since early June, but we are happy to have Doug come on board as crew chief this weekend. He will fill this role for the final five races, and we will see where it goes from there," commented Robby Gordon. "I am really looking forward to this opportunity. Even though I have helped Robby and the #7 team as a spotter, I haven't been associated directly with a team since last May. This opportunity will allow me to be more hands-on in the decisions of the #7, which I hope will directly improve the team's performance. I am looking forward to the rest of the year and continuing to push forward," commented Doug Richert.(RGM)(10-20-2009)

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know TOG, that stuff is endorsed by the wrong Gordon... you better Monster up! ;)
Try Pepsi Max
Cheerleading is my only worry. Since Doug has come on as the spotter, I've notice he likes to get behind the driver and kinda cheerlead. I've heard Robby many time tell crew chiefs in the past not to do that, and when the CC does do that it makes Robby even madder.

Other than that.. I'm not expecting miracles.. Just gonna wait and see. Heck, ya never know. once they are in position they might make that unexpected cohesive talent.
Big difference between being a spotter and being a crew chief.
Doug has been around since June. Robby knows how Doug's personality & cheerleading is, he's been in Robby's ear every race. Robby knows what he's getting by putting Doug in the Crew Chief spot. I fully expect Doug to have alot more experince show when it comes to having a car prepared & making calls during a race. That's not a slap at Kirk, just a fact that Doug has been around this sport a long time.

On the other side, Doug knows what he's dealing with in Robby Gordon, like I said, he's been in Robby's ear & vice versa. He knows if the car is outside the Top 20 "It's a piece of S#)&!" He also knows if Robby is getting passed on restarts it's either "Very, very, very, very, very loose (or tight)" He knows when Robby pits and gets beat by 5 cars (even if some took 2) Robby will chew at the team & crew and make statements like "Every F******* time! I'm getting sick of this!"

Robby, Kurt and Kyle Busch are known for being wildcats on the radios during the race. Kurt gets away with it because he's a past Champion, Kyle gets away with it because he's winning aton of races, and Robby gets away with it cause he owns his team. Crew chiefs know this when they come aboard, I'm sure Doug knows what he's getting into and vice versa.

Don't be suprised if they continue to struggle (they're still a single -car, underfunded team), or if they do very well (they just seem like they have alot of experience & respect for each other).

IMO - I've stated many times, I felt like Kirk did a good job at the shop, but calling a race was not his best attribute. He cost Robby a shot at a win at Sonoma. Stupid call. It really went downhill from that point. Doug will do better.
we'll see, doesn't sound to me like it's long term, but ya never know.
From Bleacher Report

DOUG RICHERT BACK ON TOP OF THE PIT BOX

News coming out of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series garage on Tuesday puts veteran crew chief Doug Richert back on a Sprint Cup Series pit box, for the No. 7 car and driver Robby Gordon, for Robby Gordon Motorsports.

Richert, who won the 1980 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship with Dale Earnhardt, had been out of a job since July, when he was released by Gunselman Motorsports, being the crew chief, for Geoff and Todd Bodine.

Richert's last endeavor as crew chief before the Gunselman team was with Dale Earnhardt Inc. with driver Regan Smith in the beginning of 2008, before being replaced by Dan Stillman, in the middle of the year.

Before that, Richert was the crew chief of The Red Bull Racing team with driver Brian Vickers in 2007. Richert was also released from that job at the end of that season.

He's also been spent time as Mike Skinner's crew chief, in the Camping World Truck Series, before being released once again.

His latest success, though, was serving as chief for Greg Biffle with the No. 16 team crew until 2006. Richert was seen with Biffle in the Subway commercial where Biffle is driving the car and he's in the passenger seat and the police pull them over and they're driving like crazy because of the hot subs.

Richert, although being bounced around as late, is a good hire for this job. He's been working for Robby's team as a spotter lately, and seems to have a good relationship with Gordon, who for many people, can be tough to get along with.

Richert replaced Kirk Almquist, who joined Robby's team in the middle of last season, and the car has not been running that good with Almquist at the helm. Almquist will retire, and go back to his home in California.

"Doug brings the experience and knowledge to the table to our team, which I hope will evaluate our team at the Cup level. He has spotted for us since early June, but we are all happy to have Doug come on board as crew chief this weekend. He will fill this roll for the final five races, and we will see where is goes from there..."

Richert says he's excited to be a part of the RGM team. "This opportunity will allow me to be more hands-on in the decisions of the No. 7, which I hope will directly improve the team's performance. I am looking forward to the rest of the year, and continuing to push forward."

Richert and Gordon will give it a first go around this weekend at Martinsville, on Sunday.
The way I see it, this is a 5 race audition. I will be curious to see how Doug handles Robby during the race when Robby shout out, "This car SUCKS. It sucks everywhere around the track" or "It's a P.O.S." If Doug can somehow calm Robby down and right the ship during the race or make good strategic calls that aren't overridden by Robby, then I would say we have a CC long term.

I fear that the overall problem is not the CC it is the car itself that needs improvement.
Shhh.....Spike Lee might want residuals.....
If something in the culture of RGM is going to change, and allow the CC to be the CC, then there is potential for something to change and Richert does have ability even if he hasn't proven anything with the COT yet. And making the move now will only help for 2010.

If the real CC is still driving the car, then this is all just a bunch of hot air and Richert will be leading RG to a bunch of 28th to 36th place finishes next year, with a couple of top 15 runs but not wins at the road courses.
OH NO! OH NO!!!

OHHHH YEEEAH!

Can only hope that Robby sits back and lets Doug run the show and use his experience to his advantage.Everything takes time to gel and hope this last more than five races and let it build.

RSS

Newest Members

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service