Robby has always said trucks belong on the dirt any chance Robby will jump in a truck for this race? I think this would be a great place to put SST on the side of a NASCAR vehicle to help promote the SST Series.

Views: 2546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Odd, Speedtv.com reported this earlier today. I think they took it off.

If you keep blowing your horn and nobody seems to be listening it does not help to blow it in thier ear. Based on speculation at this point if it were to fall on an off weekend for the SST I would bet that Robby would be there. It's really not a step down to race the truck series if it were to be run at that track or any other dirt venue for that matter. But hold the phones folks..............NAZICAR will do everything in thier power to .....PPPPPPPPPHHHHhhooPPOOO (the sound of blowing the dust off my tinfoil hat) do everything in thier power to have the race on a weekend where the SST is far away and racing. And yes I believe that. Robby I would suspect will be a major draw for the series so I suspect if not running for his own crown in a "King of the Mountan" sort of way will be on sight each week. (I don't know anybody on the inside but I here by offer a BRIBE........and yes you will like it....sorry to those waiting but christmas is special for a reason however start watching those mail boxes) Drivers will be falling over themselves to get into this dirt race if it were to happen .......if you ask me. And yes I will be there if and when. This would be a swing for the fences move by the sport and after it happens once it will never go away. The trucks will die before racing on dirt does if and when. There's only one way to describe this if it were to happen....(the race itself Robby a bonus)

FAR OUT !! Take your nuts out of the vice OFF ROAD ...........................we get it already.

Normally,i wouldnt bother much as of late to enter into discussion but this one caught my attention. One of the reasons Walker Evans, Rob Mac, Jimmy Smith ect. experimented with the truck series was this. The factories were all leaving the desert, due to a variety of reasons. One of which, and I speak from experience is, if you were not on a team,the media, the EMS teams, or worked for SCORE, it was virtually impossible as a spectator to attend and watch an event in the desert. I cant count how many times we were asked to leave our favorite viewing areas. I live in Vegas, and knew all the courses back then like the back of my hand. We were in Jean and state line nearly every weekend pre-running but mainly just goofin around and shooting stuff. We all had want-a-be trucks and put many miles all over those areas and mountains. Even taking some of the roads that go over the mountain over to eldorado dry lake, where a couple Mint 400'cam thru as well.
Next, again from a horses mouth,the manufactures were not happy with the lack of exposure of their respected brands in the desert. They felt, just as in Nascar, that if they could capture an audience in one spot such as in an oval track with a captive audience, then its a win win! Also,it was the manufactures who demanded to SCORE and HDRA that they no longer wanted the trucks in any class to have shock towers protruding thru their hoods. Remember Roger Mears bad ass Nissan? Or even Walker Evans, and Steve Kelley in Class 8 with their shocks protruding out of the hoods as well. Or the class 7s, which stated back then that we couldnt raise,cut or pull out our front fenders no more than 3" max, and could not run fiberglass panels. Plus we had to have a full bed in the back. You could run shocks thru the bed there though.That was way back in the 80's early 90's for the most part.
Lastly, the technology in these Craftsman Truck series is not much different than the Nationwide, or Cup car technology, and should not be taken lightly. Again from real world experience! Lets remember where the Cup series got the front splitter idea from! Just sayin! Trucks belong on any surface, and I believe they should be racing every and any venue type they can get their hands on. I mean look at some of your local tracks. The Modifieds, the Super Modifieds ect. Although awesome to drive, watch and work on, you cant tell me some kids and families have a hard time identifying with this type of racing. They would walk right by our teams in the pits and hustle over to the Super Late Models. A vehicle they could identify with. Thus for the local guys with unusual calsses of cars, it can be somewhat difficult to find sponsors who can relate to that type of racing program. This is no different than the desert stuff too. It was hard as hell to find sponsors for my single seat car. But not as hard to find sponsors for our Toyota pickup for the same exact series. So,dont write off the Nascar trucks as of yet. If the manufactures pull out of Nascar, the off road and short track off road stuff will suffer the same fate shortly after!

Tool
I can see your points on everything , but because of all those we have todays stuff . For instance you say ,the manufactures were not happy with the lack of exposure of their respected brands in the desert. They felt, just as in Nascar, that if they could capture an audience in one spot such as in an oval track with a captive audience, then its a win win , Well didnt that create the MTEG series in the 1st place ? I can remember part of the MTEG advertising was " TO BRING A PIECE OF BAJA TO THE FANS "
All those class 7s and class 8 trucks , arent they what morphed into todays TTs ? I mean look at Ivan's 1st Toyota truck wasnt it a class 7 then just kept getting more and more radical til they ended up with the TT we all know today . Then also theres class 8 they just did the same thing , got more and more radical til SCORE had to make the TT class .
You know im as old school as you as far as loving off-road , which is why i feel so fiercely that Robby needs to distance himself as far away from nascar as possible . Yes doing a nascar truck race on dirt is a cool idea ( 1 of the few things nascar has done right ) but at the same time why take focus off the SST Series and winning not 1 but 2 championships this yr for a 1 time flash in the pan race . Maybe if after a cple of yrs the nascar truck dirt race is still around then yeah hop on the bandwagon and use nascar for the publicity farce its become . As for right now I'd say let the SST Series grow on its OWN merit .

Correct MJ but. Back then when the MTEG was in full swing, the tracks were too small for the class 8 trucks. Still the manufactures wanted to sell the full size trucks. Thus us people getting constantly kicked out of the deserts just to watch an event was ridiculous. We went as far as camping miles away from our spot to watch the race, just to pack up in the morning and head out to our spot just to watch a dam race. After while they were on to us, and we were kicked out of the desert by Danny Cau who would fly over in the mornings before the event, and destroy our entire camp with the helicopter rotors and shout over a loud speaker that we are in a closed desert area and we had to leave! Oh lets not forget after that asshole destroyed our camp with rotor wash, that the BLM rangers would show up three deep and give me a fucking 100.00 federal fucking ticket.....So, when ever possible, some of us wrote in or in some cases, had access to some of the manufactures upper management,such as myself would express our displeasure.
The deserts are open year around, except when a race came to town. So,lets see,the only way to watch a race in NV was to stand in the pits. No, not set up a camp, a chair,bbq lunch, or partake in a cold frosty beverage, because drinking in the pits was not allowed. The only way to watch a race, was to borrow someones actual pit pass, and then go to a prinitng shop and have them mass produce them. Then the sanctioning bodies caught on to that, and put the squash on that. Furthermore, we had to set up a fake pit with tires a tarp ect. MJ these were just a snapshot of the steps, hoops and crap we endured just to watch our favorite drivers, and their BRANDS!!! After a while, we said screw it and,I became involved in pavement racing,road course racing and driver coaching. So, I guess being denied access to the desert actually helped shape my career doing what Ive been fortunate to do!
Now its somewhat better. At todays events, the only way to see an event is to sit in some grand stands at the start finish line. It ok! There are some cool jumps ect., so that helps. Now the only issue, is I there is no shade, and many of these young rookie kids get sloshed on whatever it is they are on, and the next thing you know, Im forced to take my young kids and leave due to the idiots who decide its a cool idea to start throwing beer at everyone, and a big ol brawl starts.... So, im done with that too. I* donty like big crowds for that reason. I hate always having to be the bad cop and always have to be looking over my shoulder to protect my family. I deal with that shit everyday. I would like a day off from that once in a while!
In closing, Im in constant awe at the technology in all the classes these days, and the speeds of the 1 cars and TT's. It simply blows me away. Plus I get goose bumps when ever I do get the chance to go out and yes, I still try and go out to suppport the sport I grew up with al love like no other, except my Chicago Bears! Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

So the mighty BLM were assholes even back then huh ? Now I see why Casey and BITD were backing Romney . He was gonna ease up the amount of power they had . Funny thing is after all the shit you said you hadda go through to watch I'd've STILL given my left nut to see it back then . Hell I'd give my right 1 to see it today lol . I do kinda have to give BLM a little credit though I don't like the races like Baja where the crowds are packed 20 deep and they run across the course just as a TT is flying by . Someone is gonna get killed ( and have ) . In areas like the Wash or ZOO Road why not set up concrete jersey barriers to keep everyone back . Yes I know that would be expensive and time consuming but at least it would be safer . Maybe the BLM could actually work WITH us instead of against us .

speaking of trucks, there is a Canadian event on the 2013 schedule!!!! Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, outside Toronto. Jayski lists the track as the road course too, which just makes things that much sweeter.

Not to stray off track but, as I was putting in some thought to the above posts, something from the past popped into my tiny little gem of a brain, and it was this. Many many years ago in a land not too far away, we raced a class 7s Toyota pickemup truck in the stock class with our local sanctioning body. Now, when you are driving in a limited class, with limited travel, hp, and limited funds ect. strange things are bound to happen. At some events cars were so spread out during the course of an event, you wouldnt see human life for quite some time. And being limited, you cant just fly thru obstacles like the 1 cars. However, at one event we were in last place in our class due to some issues, and out of nowhere there it was...We were in a rough section in a remote area of the course, so speeds were not that great. As most people, fans would find a spot right near a cool jump or something similar. But, there it was, two ladies in a dark blue late 70's Toyota 4x4, lifted, and clean looking. You know, this is one of the early Toyotas with a solid axle leaf sprung teeny tiny little trucks. So, there they were, two hot looking ladies, topless and feeling sorry for us. They jumped up and started jumping around flinging things everywhere. Ahhhh, something I will never forget! Thank you ladies whom ever you were, and thanks for supporting and cheering on the little guy!

Let me guess is that how you met Mrs Tool lmao ? Glad I could jog your memory bro .

Eldora in 2013 is officially on the CTS schedule.

Hello all,
I kinda stopped coming because I'm not into the NASCAR bashing, but with that said, I think seeing SST on the side of a truck driven by Robby would be awesome! I'm hearing it's going to be a mid-week event and that should help exposure! I also think he should, if he doesn't field or "rent" a truck, should sponsor Justin Lofton with both Speed & SST. I have no idea what it cost's to sponsor a truck, but I assume it's far less than cup. I think people will tune in just to see what it's like. I like NASCAR and found out early on that politics can ruin anything (for me it was our church), so I only follow what matters to my family. Sorry for showing my opinion on NASCAR...

I don't like the Nascar bashing either. I still watch it every week.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service