UPDATE: 2/9/12- A new 2 car team onwed by former TRG investors will take over Red Bull Racing's Owner Points in 2012. Landon Cassill will drive the #83 with Doug Richert as crew chief. Travis Kvapil is linked to be the 2nd driver with details to be announced soon.

This means Trevor Bayne and Robby Gordon will have to qualify on speed (or race in during Duels) the first five races of the season.

#71 team not returning in 2012?: Sirius XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that the #71 TRG Motorsports NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team will not return in 2012. Sources close to the team say TRG will announce later this week that it has shuttered its NASCAR operation and will compete only on the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series in 2012. TRG finished 36th in Sprint Cup owner points last season, and would not have been a guaranteed starter for the season-opening Daytona 500. TRG Motorsports made a total of 106 starts since joining the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2009, with a pair of Top-10 finishes to its credit. Bobby Labonte claimed a 10th-place finish for the team at Talladega in the fall of 2009, while Mike Bliss finished ninth in the 2010 Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. Team owner Kevin Buckler did not immediately return a call seeking comment today.(Sirius Speedway)
Jayski.com

Views: 11190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ahhh...I read the whole story..Reutimann will drive it for the 26 races shes not..thus most likely keepign it in the top 35 for next year if Danica is ready to go full time...

That makes sense..

Good article by Bob Pockrass about the points swapping

http://www.scenedaily.com/blogs/bobpockrass/Points-swaps-a-dirty-bu...

I still don't agree but it is what the economics for NASCAR demands to keep big sponsors happy. Go Daddy is going to be Danica's full sponsor for the year and NASCAR is going to do what they can to be sure that she has a guaranteed spot in the 500. The networks love it as well to drive up the cost of advertising for the race. If Danica didn't make the filed then NASCAR and FOX would lost a ton of money.

Did Tony work this one out himself or did Mike Helton introduce Tommy to Tony to get this deal done? I'll go with the conspiracy threory on this one.

Would say the main reason that SHR went with TBR,is to keep Danica in the top 35 when she runs races going through outthe year.The reason he did not give her his points and use his past champ provisional,is if he had did that his winners circle points would have been lost.And in this economy every dollar counts.

Have seen some Tweets that SHR had some sponsorship and dollars to support a driver to fill the races Danica would not race. It's highly unlikely TBR would have been able to reach this deal without the hiring of David Reutimann. SHR needed someone they felt confident could keep the #10 inside the Top 35.

SHR could have easily gave Danica Tony's points and let Tony use the Past Champions Provisional, but several issues would have arised. Tony would have to start at the rear if a race is rained out (not a big deal at Daytona, but would be a concern at the other tracks). Also SHR still needed a driver for the races without Danica.

SHR looked at all the teams inside the Top 35 that could possibly be in a position to make a deal. FRM, Germain and the #32 team all had Ford deals. Finch was no longer in a position with hiring Kurt. TBR needed the support and SHR needed the points and a driver. It worked well for both sides.

I don't think any Nascar conspiracy was working in this deal. Now had Danica received points from Red Bull's closed teams...then YES! You could start all the conspiracy theories. But this looked like two teams that were able to mutually help each other out.

I'm just glad that deal is done. The points we've been watching for weeks are the Red Bull Racing teams that closed. It's been discussed many times by reporters and other racing outlets that Nascar rules state the only way a team can transfer points to another team is by the former team owner having some type of ownership. All inidcations are that won't happen with Red Bull. It's very likely Trevor Bayne and the #21 team will inherit points from one of the RBR teams. The biggest question still remains about the other RBR team. If Nascar allows TRG to inherit those points (even though they have no plans to race in 2012) they could sell them in some type of deal leaving RGM 36th in Owner Points. If Nascar doesn't allow them or if no other teams are able to work a deal, the points would go to RGM.

We probably won't know until the official entry list is recieved by Nascar.

Well since TRG ha no intention of racing, I don't think they should have any control of possible inherited points. IMO.

This whole thing stinks, like my dirty underware or worse, which really stinks big time...

Ernie, has brought up probably the most important reason Tony didn't offer his 2011 points. Winners Circle Pay Plan.
Probably what strikes me most is ,another Hendricks team. By my count that makes 8 teams.

Kinda sucks doesn't it ?

TRG's NASCAR Program is done so that means as of the publishing of the entry list RGM will essentially be up to P37 in owners points. If RBR does not merge with anybody (and it looks like they won't) then that is two more sets of points that vanish once the entry list is published (well they're still there for the first 5 races, but in the scope of that weekend they've vanished). That would put RGM into P35 and locked into the race.

However if anybody is likely to get the TRG points I see it being the second TBR car (was the #35, will be the #36).

The Danica thing is really no different then the deal that Bayne has. Bayne is under contract for Roush but drives for the Wood Brothers, Danica is under contract with SHR via JRM but will drive for TBR.

Lets say for instance RGM qualifies and wins the Daytona 500, but does NOT qualify in the top 35 for the next race, will his #1 in points position in the standings automaticly put him in the field ?

they still go by previous years points.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service